Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

Unless you have a team full of engines, three at the back is far too defensive for this league as half the team ends up being behind the ball.

How refreshing was it to have four attacking players up there, pressing, interchanging, charging the channels, forcing errors.

When we played it long, it was literally a 50-50. You can’t say that when we play three at the back as the wingbacks are too deep to press.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well... 4 at the back and Didzy and Collins up front. Bird obviously told to get forward. Who'da thunk it? #COYR

Players were playing in positions that suited them. We scored 4 goals and won the game. It's no coincidence. We simply do not have the players for 352 and we shouldn't go back to it. It's clear for everyone to see. 

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Great team performance..well deserved and should have been by a wider margin..but can't knock that if we play this way every match they will be a joy to watch.

Overheard some Bristol fans saying "That was a harsh result". A harsh lesson maybe but they really should have lost by a bigger margin two soft goals conceded by the Rams. 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

Overheard some Bristol fans saying "That was a harsh result". A harsh lesson maybe but they really should have lost by a bigger margin two soft goals conceded by the Rams. 

Wasn't a harsh result at all. Yes I think they were ok and tried to play positive football but they were naive at times and the rams totally blew them away in 25 minutes. 

Great day out.

First half was dream-like. Rovers were all over the place and looked like a team that was playing a third top side in a week.

We shouldn’t get too carried away from one performance but it just shows what happens when a team plays quicker passes.

I hope the boys enjoyed their day and that they will be encouraged to play attacking football every week.

Excellent win.  Players in attacking areas played in the right position.

This is ALMOST exactly what we wanted from Warne.

McGoldrick was as magnificent today as he was poor in the last game coming on as a sub. 

Going 4-1 up when we did should never present the opposition a chance to get back into it, there shouldn't be any thought in the fanbase that we could throw it away. 

We tightened it up after the break but probably should have done that earlier, avoid the situation where the penalty is awarded. 

That said aren't these the team who got promoted on the last day of the season scoring 7 goals?

3/5 at the back today and I don't think we see that performance or anywhere close.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Excellent win.  Players in attacking areas played in the right position.

This is ALMOST exactly what we wanted from Warne.

McGoldrick was as magnificent today as he was poor in the last game coming on as a sub. 

Going 4-1 up when we did should never present the opposition a chance to get back into it, thereo shouldn't be any thought in the fanbase that we could throw it away. 

We tightened it up after the break but probably should have done that earlier, avoid the situation where the penalty I'd awarded. 

That said aren't these the team who got promoted on the last day of the season scoring 7 goals?

3/5 at the back today and I don't think we see that performance or anywhere close.

And almost exactly what Warne no doubt wanted from the team.

Excellent first half in particular I thought.

Looking forwards to a quiet night on the forum tonight.

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Great day out.

First half was dream-like. Rovers were all over the place and looked like a team that was playing a third top side in a week.

We shouldn’t get too carried away from one performance but it just shows what happens when a team plays quicker passes.

I hope the boys enjoyed their day and that they will be encouraged to play attacking football every week.

I think that's the key. It's not as simple as switching from 3-5-2 to a back 4 - we played the ball forward much quicker than in recent matches, thereby maintaining pressure on the opposition midfield and defence.

I don't share the view that the referee was decent, unless you base his performance on him making more or less the same number of mistakes for each side. Wildsmith fully deserved his yellow card - he needs to learn to waste time in a much less obvious way but the booking of Roberts was farcical - I thought the Rovers man was going to be the recipient.

Just thought I’d start off by saying Warneball is so s*** to watch ?

From hearing his interviews listening to his podcasts it’s clear today is how he wants us to play and if this is what Warneball is, give me more!! Yes please!! 

The only travesty today is that it was 4-2, we totally outclassed them, we were at least 3 or 4 goals better. They got a bit of luck with the first goal, and the penalty (yet another) was stupid from Foz but in a way down to a left back playing right centre half.

So many good performances today. Didzy gets the plaudits he was phenomenal, loved Collins’ performance and pleased he got his goal, Mendez-Laing is my player of the year so far he’s barely had a bad game, Dobbin gave a good solid team performance, ran his socks off, and Bird and Hourihane were so much better today, before we get to the full backs, Smith solid taking one for the team playing out of position, and Roberts has just given his two best performances back to back. And Wildsmith is the best keeper in the league!! And Cash!!! The best centre half in the league 

We should’ve been further ahead at half time, we went for the 5th first 15 mins of the second half unlucky not to get it, from that point in the game management was superb!

I missed Oxford and Wycombe, but from the rest this is by far the best performance of the season!

Edited by BramcoteRam84
How could I forget cash!!

Well, well, who'd have thought it? Put players into a formation they are more familiar with, round pegs in round holes and watch them go! Credit to Paul Warne for making the change that resulted in our most fluid performance since he took over (I hope it wasn't only born out of necessity.)

I will start with Hourihane, because I have been particularly harsh on him. I thought this was his best game for Derby (goals notwithstanding.) Not surprisingly, this also enabled Bird to have his best game for a while. Their workrate and closing down was excellent. When they had the ball, they were spoilt for choice who to pass it to. Our midfield has discovered its engine at last! 

The defence worked so hard. The rocksteady Cashin the standout for me, but Fozzy marshalled them well and his experience was vital at times. Smith and Roberts worked their short socks off and got up to support the attack admirably. I felt a bit sorry that they let two goals in, but that was a very inexperienced combination. Despite this  Wildsmith didn’t have a lot to do, says it all.

But the plaudits of course go to the forward-line. The first goal was simplicity itself, McGoldrick stroking the ball into the back of the net. I think it gave him the confidence to go for those other two shots. The best finishing we've seen at Pride Park for a while. I'm so pleased a player of his quality has got his first career hat-trick in front of such a boisterous and appreciative crowd, who seemed to have recovered from Tuesday evening's lethargy. Well deserved, Didzy, and I enjoyed your comments afterwards on Radio Derby about managing your training time to maximise your time on the pitch. Warne, take note - it's not all about running around! 

Having said that, Collins - what an engine today, and he did make so much difference to the team dynamic. Mendez-Laing was excellent as ever and Dobbin more at home, although he does need to remember to track back with his man occasionally. 

4-2 at half-time slightly flattered Bristol, I thought, but plaudits to their fans, who got right behind their team.

After such an explosive first half it was perhaps inevitable that the pace dropped in the second, but we started brightly, should have scored more, and managed to hold on comfortably with the introduction of fresh legs. 

A word about the ref, I thought he did a good job (only missed the blatant foul on Collins just outside the box first half.) I did think Hourihane's was a booking. On today's form we'll miss him on Tuesday night. Hope we've saved some of today's fight for then.

Well done, Rams!