Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

My son aged 11 had a key ring with a toy bullet chained to it. The “Hi-vizzed” airport security guard confiscated it. “ How the heck is he going to fire his gun on the plane now? “ I quizzed ?‍♂️ at which the yellow vested chap stared at me aggressively but had no words 

We weren’t allowed to buy a bottle of coke even with the top removed , it had to be put in a plastic cup by staff ,,, 

Great day and very much how I want to see derby teams approach games , was a bit concerned we might struggle before the game but what a turn around and performance, we pushed up on them , never gave them a minutes peace , played with real intent and intensity,

could I watch that kind of warneball week in week out ? Hell yes 

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

Looking at Barton's comments after the game, I thought that they were strange. He talked about the importance of not losing the second half and getting a hammering. No wonder we cruised the second half, if that was his half time team talk. After the penalty on the stroke of half time, I was expecting an onslaught at the start of the second half. One goal any time in that second half, would have put us under loads of pressure.

Yes, me too. I thought as the second half began, come on lads there’s going to be a storm, ride out 15 minutes of pressure and we can do this; but it didn’t come, a bit of wind a few drops of rain but no tempest. Concentrated, kept it tidy and job done. I love Sunday morning after a good win ?

Edited by jono

23 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes, me too. I thought as the second half began, come on lads there’s going to be a storm, ride out 15 minutes of pressure and we can do this; but it didn’t come, a bit of wind a few drops of rain but no tempest. Concentrated, kept it tidy and job done. I love Sunday morning after a good win ?

While watching the Red Roses Wallop the Willyroos at a absolutely rain sodden Aukland...is it their summer over there?

9 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

As for time wasting what about near the end the Bristol player took a throw that was given to Derby. Clear time wasting but no card from the ref for the same offense. 

No player is going to get booked for time wasting when their team is losing.

I guess it’s all a question of intent. I don’t know what the actual rules are but I would imagine there is only a risk of a caution if your intent is to prevent the opposition from having enough time to equalise or take the lead. I.e. if you’re hanging on for a draw or a win. If you’re own team suffers as a result of your time wasting then more fool you - your team hasn’t gained an advantage (or potential advantage).

Thought everything that was wrong with our approach on Tuesday was right yesterday. Forget the formation, the basics were right. We played with purpose on and off the ball, we were aggressive in tackles immediately and generally looked like we were putting more effort in. That should be the bare minimum, and doing that will see us winning far more than we lose in this league.

Beyond that, it was frustrating to have conceded 2 goals in that game. Wildsmith with his second game in a row with literally nothing to do, and somehow conceded to a scramble from a free kick and yet another penalty. Should have been 4-0, comfortably. 

Forsyth had a really good game at centre back. Slightly clumsy challenge for the penalty but the blame there goes to Cashin. Not sure what he was doing when rather than getting back into position he went out to the right back area to poorly press the ball. Confused things entirely and immediately led to the penalty.

Hourihane’s best game of the season for me. He wasn’t magnificent or anything, but he was involved in open play far more than he has ever been.

Could go through the obvious ones like Didzy playing well, but sure that’s already been said. Will say though, thought Bristol were awful. First team I’ve seen this year that really struggled at centre back (and keeper) to deal with any kind of ball forward. Offered basically nothing going forward the entire game too. 

Played with only 1 player (Smith who I thought put in a cracking shift) out of position but with the more direct approach and aggression and it worked… this is what I wanted to see. A manager working with what he has got available to him. Getting Hourihane busting a gut to defend and press was a big positive. 
A step in the right direction. Whole team needs a whole days training on jockeying forwards in our own box instead of just giving them a leg to go over. Has any team ever given away this number of penalties by this point in the season? 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Played with only 1 player (Smith who I thought put in a cracking shift) out of position but with the more direct approach and aggression and it worked… this is what I wanted to see. A manager working with what he has got available to him. Getting Hourihane busting a gut to defend and press was a big positive. 
A step in the right direction. Whole team needs a whole days training on jockeying forwards in our own box instead of just giving them a leg to go over. Has any team ever given away this number of penalties by this point in the season? 

Smith will be really steady at right back. My only worry is when he comes up against a pacey winger because he is exceptionally slow.

Additionally, wish we would stop leaving only 1 man back from attacking set pieces with that 1 man being Korey Smith due to his aforementioned running in treacle. It’s asking for a a counter attack. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yes, me too. I thought as the second half began, come on lads there’s going to be a storm, ride out 15 minutes of pressure and we can do this; but it didn’t come, a bit of wind a few drops of rain but no tempest. Concentrated, kept it tidy and job done. I love Sunday morning after a good w.    ?

you’ll go blind. 

47 minutes ago, Electric Ram said:

A much needed home win and a great 1st half performance. slightly disappointed with our time wasting tactics 2nd half, I know it is important to close off the win but I felt embarrassed it felt like we were hanging to a 1 nil lead away from home at times. 

I'm not. At all.

enough times a team has come to us, snatched a goal and put time-wasting 101 into play. If we can secure 3 points doing the same then so be it.

it’s not a great part of the game but it is part of the game. We should be as efficient at that as we should every aspect.

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

Smith will be really steady at right back. My only worry is when he comes up against a pacey winger because he is exceptionally slow.

Additionally, wish we would stop leaving only 1 man back from attacking set pieces with that 1 man being Korey Smith due to his aforementioned running in treacle. It’s asking for a a counter attack. 

Yet you asked why Cashin had been drawn across. There was a few times when Cash came across to challenge in the air. He was okay at RB, no better. I'd rather have seen Oduroh.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yet you asked why Cashin had been drawn across. There was a few times when Cash came across to challenge in the air. He was okay at RB, no better. I'd rather have seen Oduroh.

Cashin was drawn across because he was following the ball like a kids game, not because of anything Smith did. 

Folk on here have been screaming for us to "play the game".
What little "time wasting" we did is nothing more than "Par for the game" in this day and age.  Nothing to see here!

I did notice though... quite early in the game, if I recall... Our players mobbing the ref following a hefty challenge (Don't recall the details).
They all got a finger wagging and a telling off, and didn't dare try it again!  Like being back at school!    ?

Thought the so-called inexperienced ref handle the job very well, on the whole, so well done him.  ?

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

I did notice though... quite early in the game, if I recall... Our players mobbing the ref following a hefty challenge (Don't recall the details).
They all got a finger wagging and a telling off, and didn't dare try it again!  Like being back at school!    ?

Thought the so-called inexperienced ref handle the job very well, on the whole, so well done him.  ?

That was after a hefty challenge by one of them stopping one of our attacks, the ref didn't seem to be booking their player after awarding the freekick, but did after we'd pointed out the foul to him. Was how I saw it. We didn't need to do it again.

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

Also wish we’d leave a forward up when we defend set pieces. Almost certainly takes two players out of their attack.

Pointless Dobbin, for instance, going back to mark. He just gets in the way of people who can head the ball.

Much better that they worry about his pace on the break.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

No player is going to get booked for time wasting when their team is losing.

I guess it’s all a question of intent. I don’t know what the actual rules are but I would imagine there is only a risk of a caution if your intent is to prevent the opposition from having enough time to equalise or take the lead. I.e. if you’re hanging on for a draw or a win. If you’re own team suffers as a result of your time wasting then more fool you - your team hasn’t gained an advantage (or potential advantage).

There isn't actually a hard and fast rule, it's down to whether the referee deems "time wasting" as being unsporting behaviour. But your assessment is spot on. You're never going to book someone for time wasting when they're losing because it's their own time they are wasting so there is no advantage to them/disadvantage to the opposition.

Thought the officials were excellent yesterday. Good communication between them and a referee that was decisive and managed the game and players very well. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That was after a hefty challenge by one of them stopping one of our attacks, the ref didn't seem to be booking their player after awarding the freekick, but did after we'd pointed out the foul to him. Was how I saw it. We didn't need to do it again.

Whether we needed to or not (I'm not arguing the point, I hasten to add), he made it perfectly clear no players were to tell him how to do his job.  It set the scene, to his credit.  ?