Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Put the youngster at right back and play Knight in midfield with ?

You’re gonna have to be more specific - we call everyone duck round here!

Knight is too attack minded to play in a midfield two. Though I do agree we need to get him away from right back, and back into a position where he can influence the game more. Wouldn’t be against Oduroh starting after his stronger performance against West Brom, would give us a natural full back out there.

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You’re gonna have to be more specific - we call everyone duck round here!

Knight is too attack minded to play in a midfield two. Though I do agree we need to get him away from right back, and back into a position where he can influence the game more. Wouldn’t be against Oduroh starting after his stronger performance against West Brom, would give us a natural full back out there.

I don't think Derby can afford the luxury of two central defensive midfielders. It's far too cautious and safety first. If we put Knight alongside Bird in the centre at the back of the midfield it seems the perfect option because Knight's energy will see him upfield and attacking frequently, but back and defending when we need him to. No copper top but he's our very own Duracell battery and I can see it makes sense to make use of his fantastic midfield engine.

I’m going with

Wildsmith

Knight      Stears       Cash        Roberts

Sibbo       Bird         Hourihane

Dobbin                              Barkhuizen

McGoldrick 

18 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sibley has to be the first name on the team sheet. And even though we often play him out of position, I don't mean in goal. Against the Baggies he had far and away our three best attempts. No one else comes close to bringing his level of goal threat and, as a club, we are starved of goals. It's not as if he doesn't also fully contribute to the team. And the whole team plays better when he's on the pitch as he gives us such better options and attacking intent than the other midfielders. Fairness is so important to me. Rosenior has done plenty of good things but he's been taking the easy option in some of his team selections, not picking the side on merit but instead going by reputation. For instance, if both are fit competing for the same spot, it's much easier to pick Hourihane and leave Sibley on the bench. But enough is enough. Louie has kept his head down, worked hard and consistently been out best player over the season to date. If he's fit and Rosenior doesn't pick him on Saturday, I'm calling for Rosenior to go. The manager has to be brave and do the right thing. That way is the path to promotion. I'm thinking Rosenior will finally acknowledge this and go:

Wildsmith

Knight     Stearman     Cashin     Roberts

Bird     Hourihane

Mendez-Laing     Sibley     Barkhuizen

Collins

Subs: Loach Oduroh Forsyth Rooney Smith McGoldrick Dobbin

McGoldrick will continue to be eased in gently. If Mendez-Laing still has family stuff to sort out, Dobbin will come in (he's close to demanding a start anyway) and either Thompson or Agathise for the bench.

I can see that working. There’s two things generally about set up that irk me at the moment. 
we seem to want this 2 DM thing when we really need players up top up feeding the front line. And then the Sibbo is the striker thing. Sibbo is a raider and an instigator, you need a number 9 and the number 9 needs a Sibley (more direct) or a McGoldrick (more subtle. 
We are doing well down the flanks but the CAM area is being sacrificed to the cautious 2 DM thing. Clearly there are games against certain teams or away from home where we might need to do it but my preset happy clappy view has to warrant being on the front foot as often as possible. 

Edited by jono

21 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Cashin will have to stick to Marriot like glue. Jack is a 20 goal striker in this league. I hope Curtis is back to mark Clarke-Harris, another 20 goal striker. A clean sheet is important as we don’t score enough.

I'm more than happy for Stearman to continue deputising for Curtis - he's not let us down.

21 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I reckon it will be -

Wildsmith - Knight Stearman Cashin Roberts - Hourihane Bird - Dobbin Sibley Barkhuizen - Collins

Loach Forsyth Rooney Thompson Smith NML McGoldrick

Sounds like NML won’t be there other than that think you’re probably spot on, unless he puts smith in and goes little more defensive 

16 hours ago, Dimmu said:

A bit of heads up info:

I don't know much about the League One playerwise, but I'd be surprised if some team has a better goalkeeper than Peterborough does. Lucas Bergström, on loan youngster from Chelsea, is expected to be the next big thing and continuing the Finnish tradition of great goalkeepers. 

He has massive frame, 6 feet 9", and for his size, he has ridiculous reactions. Biggest weakness at the moment is distribution with the feet.

Found a little clip of him this season. Seems like he has won their some points already.

Hopefully, we will take our shooting boots with us this time around...

Well if he's had to make that many saves, their defence would seem to allow plenty of chances. 

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Cashin will have to stick to Marriot like glue. Jack is a 20 goal striker in this league. I hope Curtis is back to mark Clarke-Harris, another 20 goal striker. A clean sheet is important as we don’t score enough.

One wonders whether or not Peterborough are playing Jack to his strengths.

If only ................... if only ................

11 minutes ago, Topram said:

Sounds like NML won’t be there other than that think you’re probably spot on, unless he puts smith in and goes little more defensive 

I think he might make the bench, I know some footballers like to get back playing to take their minds off personal issues so maybe NML is the same. If not then Oduroh probably makes the bench instead