Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

29 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We haven't really put in a poor performance yet and played well in our only defeat.

Peteboro probably the best team we've played so far, so a good chance they could beat us, also with us not playing that well.

If this does happen, please don't have too much of a meltdown everyone. These things happen sometimes.

Agreed. Posh are very experienced in Div 1. football . They have just signed Mason-Clark , a winger that chips in with around 6 goals a season. Playing attacking football he will look good and no doubt get flogged to a Championship team for a nice profit.They love to attack and our defence will be tested.

Fancy us for this one. We’re at home, good record at home, Peterborough play the same way year in year out whatever division they are in, we’ve beaten them at home already this year confident we will again. Should be entertaining. Marriott will score. 

Wildsmith

Knight        Stearman     Cashin     Roberts 

Bird         Hourihane    

Dobbin          Sibley        Barkhuizen    

Collins 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Peterborough have lost 18 of their last 25 away games, winning just four. I think they've conceded close to 60 goals along the way too.

Although they score goals, they struggle to keep them out and don't do too well on the road. 

I really do think this could be an ideal game for us, i.e. a team that's not going to sit back and it's going to allow us to have more space in the final third rather than staring down a wall of 10 players. 

Now that’s the spirit I like ! 

seriously though, until they all step on the pitch and we’ve seen the first 15 mins we don’t know how it will pan out. Liams job is to be savvy enough to tweak things as we go on. I reckon whoever plays and whatever system, our players have bought in to it. They are also improving simply by knowing each other. I’m just looking forward to the contest. 

I do have one prayer and that’s for Collins. He’s done everything right in terms of work, shots, commitment and positioning. He just needs that rub of the green, for him and all of us. 

Wildsmith

Knight. Stears. Cashin. Robert’s

Bird.     Hourihane

Dobbin.        McGoldrick.      Sibley 

Collins

I think Dobbin starting is obvious. So the question really is two from DM, LS or TB. Can’t not play LS after his performance midweek.

Smith is probably the other one to miss out.

We have 14 players currently fit who may well play any game. Chester, Davies and NML to add onto that 14. We still need a RB and one more striker.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Peterborough have lost 18 of their last 25 away games, winning just four. I think they've conceded close to 60 goals along the way too.

Although they score goals, they struggle to keep them out and don't do too well on the road. 

I really do think this could be an ideal game for us, i.e. a team that's not going to sit back and it's going to allow us to have more space in the final third rather than staring down a wall of 10 players. 

Should be a great opportunity for our struggling forwards to get on the score sheet. 

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Fancy us for this one. We’re at home, good record at home, Peterborough play the same way year in year out whatever division they are in, we’ve beaten them at home already this year confident we will again. Should be entertaining. Marriott will score. 

Wildsmith

Knight        Stearman     Cashin     Roberts 

Bird         Hourihane    

Dobbin          Sibley        Barkhuizen    

Collins 

I think this will be the team. No insider knowledge, but given the family issues with NML he'll likely not have trained much, so I figure it will be a place on the bench for him at best. Then, Rosenior has repeatedly stated he wants McGoldrick fit for the season so is managing his game time extremely carefully, which makes me think that's the decision Liam will take to allow Sibley to play in his best position.

It's a good team, especially if Hourihane has the energy to link defence with attack. As the game moves on he'll probably tire if he's doing that role, so we'd likely look at bringing Oduroh on to allow Knight into midfield. Or, if we're in a position to want to keep it tight, Smith could replace him to shore things up. And having McGoldrick available off the bench is a great option as he builds his fitness up.

On 25/08/2022 at 23:55, Millenniumram said:

....you’ll only have Bird back protecting the defence. Acting as a defensive shield is not really his game, which will the centre backs exposed - particularly worrying with Stearman at the back. 

???????

This team would be my selection right now. Dobbin gets in as NML Has domestic leave. Knight in midfield; Oduroh gets a start after a Vg performance v WBA. Sibley - no explanation required. 
A great bench with Hourihane, Fozzy, Rooney, Barkheusen, NML.

We are at home. Play aggressive, fast, high tempo. Watch the goals fly in. 

1DAEEA94-F81D-474A-B5BC-CD914F5450A3.pngJust noted the typo on Oduroh. 

Edited by Ellafella

Looking forward to a more open game today and also, with some amusement , the probable reactions on here dependent on the result. A win and we are champions elect. A defeat and Rosenior must go! Love it. 

Personally very happy with the start we have made and improving all the time. Feeling optimistic that a place in the top 6 is a possibility but a long way to go. COYR

16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

This team would be my selection right now. Dobbin gets in as NML Has domestic leave. Knight in midfield; Oduroh gets a start after a Vg performance v WBA. Sibley - no explanation required. 
A great bench with Hourihane, Fozzy, Rooney, Barkheusen, NML.

We are at home. Play aggressive, fast, high tempo. Watch the goals fly in. 

1DAEEA94-F81D-474A-B5BC-CD914F5450A3.pngJust noted the typo on Oduroh. 

Like your attacking style sir, see you in the Brunny in a few hours.