Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't think Derby can afford the luxury of two central defensive midfielders. It's far too cautious and safety first. If we put Knight alongside Bird in the centre at the back of the midfield it seems the perfect option because Knight's energy will see him upfield and attacking frequently, but back and defending when we need him to. No copper top but he's our very own Duracell battery and I can see it makes sense to make use of his fantastic midfield engine.

I think that would be suicide I’m afraid mate, especially against a team with the attacking threat of Peterborough. In Rosenior’s favoured 4-2-3-1, we already have 4 players upfront especially - if you have Knight pushing forward to join them, you’ll only have Bird back protecting the defence. Acting as a defensive shield is not really his game, which will the centre backs exposed - particularly worrying with Stearman at the back. 

To be fair, I’m not a huge fan of the system altogether, but it’s the only way to get both Collins and McGoldrick in the side. I’d much rather see a 4-3-3 with Knight alongside Hourihane in front of Bird, which I think would suit everyone in midfield perfectly. But alas. Bird and Knight as a midfield two just wouldn’t work from the start imo - maybe it would later on in games if we’re chasing them and going more attacking, but not from the first whistle.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think that would be suicide I’m afraid mate, especially against a team with the attacking threat of Peterborough. In Rosenior’s favoured 4-2-3-1, we already have 4 players upfront 

Hilatious. It's precisely the problem we "only" have 4 outfield players up front. So few is why we almost never score any goals! 

If you're reading this Liam, then ditch the mad idea of 2 CDMs (and always start Sibbo!). 

16 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm more than happy for Stearman to continue deputising for Curtis - he's not let us down.

Part of the anti-Stearman sentiment comes from the fact he looks very clumsy as we play out from the back. But he finds space well when we’re in possession and he usually makes good decisions albeit his distribution is not sparkling. 

But he and Curtis will find this season a long one. Wouldn’t be surprised when they’re both fit to see LR subbing one out for the other to keep mileage down. Also makes sense because they’re at the time of life where without game time they lose sharpness quickly. Saw that last season with Stears 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hilatious. It's precisely the problem we "only" have 4 outfield players up front. So few is why we almost never score any goals! 

If you're reading this Liam, then ditch the mad idea of 2 CDMs (and always start Sibbo!). 

No - the problem, and why we hardly score any goals, is because those players up front can’t hit a barn door with a banjo when a chance falls their way and/or make the wrong decisions in the final third, such as not being brave enough and passing backwards rather than forwards. Having another man up there won’t change anything in that regard.

All due respect mate, as much as 4-2-3-1 isn’t my favourite either, you can’t exactly call it a “mad idea” - it’s one of the most popular formations in football, and there has to be a reason for that. Plenty of top teams have won trophies playing that system properly. And you’ve got to stop this Sibley obsession - I agree he should be starting now while he’s in form, but you can’t keep playing him if he loses form like the last couple of seasons. You’re starting to sound like those Chris Martin stalkers.

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No - the problem, and why we hardly score any goals, is because those players up front can’t hit a barn door with a banjo when a chance falls their way and/or make the wrong decisions in the final third, such as not being brave enough and passing backwards rather than forwards. Having another man up there won’t change anything in that regard.

All due respect mate, as much as 4-2-3-1 isn’t my favourite either, you can’t exactly call it a “mad idea” - it’s one of the most popular formations in football, and there has to be a reason for that. Plenty of top teams have won trophies playing that system properly. And you’ve got to stop this Sibley obsession - I agree he should be starting now while he’s in form, but you can’t keep playing him if he loses form like the last couple of seasons. You’re starting to sound like those Chris Martin stalkers.

Interesting to hear your opinion ?

21 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I’d like a different approach to tactics tomorrow 

wildsmith

stearman cashin roberts 

knight hourihane bird barkhuizen

sibley dobin 

mcgolderick

Interesting given Rosenior said he'd considered playing a back three against West Brom so it's obviously in his mind. I like the idea of not being too predictable and sometimes wrong-footing the opposition. Not sure about this specific selection.

Edited by Carl Sagan

22 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't think Derby can afford the luxury of two central defensive midfielders. It's far too cautious and safety first. If we put Knight alongside Bird in the centre at the back of the midfield it seems the perfect option because Knight's energy will see him upfield and attacking frequently, but back and defending when we need him to. No copper top but he's our very own Duracell battery and I can see it makes sense to make use of his fantastic midfield engine.

Just this ^. Can somebody e-mail Liam Rosenior please. Tell him to forget everything Cocu said about schtaying in the game & dribbling out from your sichs yard boxsch. ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm happy with one DM in this game, as long as it IS a defensive midfielder and not Max. With NML missing, a 4-4-1-1 diamond might work best, but the FBs would have to get forward. 

If Max can't play the role of lone central defensive midfielder in the third division then he's nowhere near as good a player as he sometimes looks. What else does he offer? Where else does he play? I can't see him anywhere else in the team as he doesn't hurt the opposition enough when further forward. He should be the quarterback. He needs to be our new George Thorne (yes I know he needs to be Max Bird and no one else but you'll get the point that Thorne is the type of player I think our ? should be modelling himself on).

Meanwhile, Dobbin doing the pre-match interview strongly suggests he's in the starting 11.

52 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If Max can't play the role of lone central defensive midfielder in the third division then he's nowhere near as good a player as he sometimes looks. What else does he offer? Where else does he play? I can't see him anywhere else in the team as he doesn't hurt the opposition enough when further forward. He should be the quarterback. He needs to be our new George Thorne (yes I know he needs to be Max Bird and no one else but you'll get the point that Thorne is the type of player I think our ? should be modelling himself on).

Meanwhile, Dobbin doing the pre-match interview strongly suggests he's in the starting 11.

You're contradicting yourself I think. Quarter-backs aren't primarily there to break up the opposition play, unlike a Defensive Midfielder in proper football. As a DM against teams who aren't over-committing players forward, Max is too far back to truly do a QB job anyway and, whilst his tackling and break-up play is improving, we want him further forward for his passing ability. He can't play in crosses like the one he did for Knight at Charlton from our half. To shield the defence in this division, we either need two less destructive DMs or one very destructive DM. This team doesn't play like the one that Thorne thrived in and trying to recreate Thorne in another player is futile and unfair to Max Bird. It's strange though how you seem to be saying that Bird should be capable of playing a position that probably doesn't suit his strengths "because it's only the Third Division" whilst also criticising Rosenior and Rooney for expecting Sibley to play where their desired formation requires him to play rather than where you think he's best suited!

Peterborough have lost 18 of their last 25 away games, winning just four. I think they've conceded close to 60 goals along the way too.

Although they score goals, they struggle to keep them out and don't do too well on the road. 

I really do think this could be an ideal game for us, i.e. a team that's not going to sit back and it's going to allow us to have more space in the final third rather than staring down a wall of 10 players. 

We haven't really put in a poor performance yet and played well in our only defeat.

Peteboro probably the best team we've played so far, so a good chance they could beat us, also with us not playing that well.

If this does happen, please don't have too much of a meltdown everyone. These things happen sometimes.