Liam Rosenior

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Weird way of putting this...

Agreed.  I read this as "we've been really impressed with Liam, so he can remain as interim for now whilst we actively look at appointing someone else as we don't intend to permanently appoint him".  Maybe I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

Agreed.  I read this as "we've been really impressed with Liam, so he can remain as interim for now whilst we actively look at appointing someone else as we don't intend to permanently appoint him".  Maybe I'm wrong. 

More like a "we don't want to rush into making a decision. We'll give him a few games to show he's capable of stepping up first."

Or....leave him on his current contract, see how it goes and then make it permanent with a new contract when the season is well under way and we can judge over a decent amount of games.  Rather than - here's a new 3 year deal now and then sack him after 10 games without a win and have to pay him off ( like some of our previous appointments over the years).  Most of the new signings were identified when Rooney was still here - so I would imagine that they would not of signed if Rooney and then Rosenior go before a ball is kicked.

Hopefully LR is okay with it, but it doesn't come across as having much confidence in him.

He is complimented as a great coach and delivered on the formations, style of play, tactics, and the oppositions strengths and weaknesses through last season, but not all assistant managers can make the step up, or even want to. 

I think he deserves his chance but agree it's a weird statement. 

Gangway D from the terrace. 

The club used to get hammered for making the wrong decisions - now they're taking the time to try and make the right decision, they are still getting hammered. 

I think they are right to see how it goes - he's never managed before and this could go wrong with a guy on a 2/3 year contract. 

Most important part of that statement is - 

“As with every aspect of the club, David Clowes and his team are taking their time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the football side, and to consider all structural options” 

to me that reads, we don’t want to commit to giving an untested manager a 2 year contract etc when finances are the most critical they’ve ever been. If he smashes it, we’ll reconsider, if he falters then we may look to bring in a DOF / someone more experienced to help him out or just replace him. I.e continually review the structure to ensure optimal results. 

I think it’s very clever and sensible  

There will be high expectations on the team in the coming year and fans will perhaps become disgruntled if we aren't battling for the playoff positions. I think they're being wise by being deliberately vague.

Having said that, I think Liam will do well. I think we are a better option for him despite our conditions compared to Blackpool.

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Most important part of that statement is - 

“As with every aspect of the club, David Clowes and his team are taking their time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the football side, and to consider all structural options” 

to me that reads, we don’t want to commit to giving an untested manager a 2 year contract etc when finances are the most critical they’ve ever been. If he smashes it, we’ll reconsider, if he falters then we may look to bring in a DOF / someone more experienced to help him out or just replace him. I.e continually review the structure to ensure optimal results. 

I think it’s very clever and sensible  

This. And it puts Liam in pole position. Do well and we’ll base the structure of the football side around you. 

I think they probably could have called him "manager" rather than "interim manager", but not extended or changed his contract (in terms of money anyway). Perhaps that was the problem, if they made him officially manager then he may be due a payrise or his agent will start campaigning for one.

That said, I still much prefer this to giving him a 3 year contract which was a huge error so many times (Pearson, Cocu, Clement etc). I wish manager contracts in general had performance clauses in.

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I guess both sides are taking a bit of a risk here. The risk on Liam's side is that it all goes tits up and he ends up job hunting in a few months time, the risk on our side is that he absolutely smashes it and gets offered a much better job before we have the chance to tie him down.

They've sat down and spoke, DC has given LR his support for signings, There's no rush to appoint LR on a permanent contract ATM, Lets see how the land lies after X amount of games and then sit down and talk about the future, We've what looks to be a competitive team and a couple or 3 additions more and we COULD be the team to do very well indeed, This squad has far exceeded my expectations and hopes.

I expect LR to be named on a permanent basis...this is for LR to lose and gives DC options in the future. 

We’ll despatch Oxford 5-0 in the opener and Rosenior will be announced as the permanent manager shortly thereafter……maybe ??

I think this is a sensible approach, providing Liam is comfortable with it. You could read it as a lack of confidence. If he does then I hope he takes it as a challenge rather than demotivating him.

It’s just being sensible and taking stock. The interim title protects both Rosenior and the club if we get off to a sticky start. The club aren’t tied into a lengthy contract and can move him down to assistant again if needed (and if he agrees) while he could go for different jobs in the future and argue he was only interim and not fully in charge.

Last thing we need is a manager on a lengthy contract to pay off and the last thing he and his career needs is to be sacked after 10 games 

I do understand the rationale of not rushing into a decision, particularly with the Board not having any footballing experience, Liam never having managed before & retaining flexibility for 'structural options' (maybe a Director of Football) but the wording could be better. Especially the bit about 'given every support & encouragement to make the job his' - suggests he's on trial which doesn't help his stature within the dressing room or potential signings if he's not the permanent manager.

I really hope Liam was given a copy of the text & approved it before it got posted. I'd hate for any there to be potential for splits in the camp given how positive the last 2 weeks have been. Liam strikes me as a very driven & positive guy so hopefully he takes the message not as a lack of confidence but an opportunity to show what he can do.

24 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Could take this statement either of the two ways mentioned above. So for me, why bother making a statement at all?

Liam will retain the title of interim manager and will be given every support and encouragement to make the job his.

I can't see that meaning we're looking for someone else.

Smart move this. I like how we are taking our time instead of thrashing out a 3 year deal. IMO Liam shouldn't get the job based on his appreciated tireless efforts to get the team ready, but based on results. This will allow us to see if he has what it takes, if it works, then great, we can hand him the deal as permanent manager then, of not, then is saves us sacking him, thus costing us a load of money.

Finally, it seams like the club is making level headed and smart decisions. Anyway come on Liam, we are all behind you, make this job yours, I really hope you do, there is not a nicer bloke in football ?