Liam Rosenior

They’d be crazy to not keep their powder dry - I’m just not sure a statement is the best way of going about it. Clowes could have dropped it into a generic RamsTV interview and/or just chatted to LR about it in detail off record (which indeed he might have done). 

This could give LR a real energiser though - a performance related incentive to give that extra 10%.

The initial focus for Clowes et al has been getting players in the door, season tickets out the door.

Utterly sensible that once this has calmed down they look at the structure of the footballing side. From LR's comments about the lack of a recruitment department it really is a great reset, so I think this is what feeds the idea of leaving LR as interim.

Plus, top marks still for club-fans communication.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

Don't get me wrong, I'd have given LR a 2 year contract on my 1st day...but I'm a football fan not a multimillionaire business owner

LR seems excellently suited to this job, but he's definitely unproven we can't argue that, so make sense from that pov 

Interesting they said about the whole structure, I suspect as some have mentioned, they're probably weighing up manager Vs DoF & head coach. Would LR even want to work under a DoF? Given he was part coach part analyst when he 1st joined he might want involment in transfers, so that would change everything 

39 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Could take this statement either of the two ways mentioned above. So for me, why bother making a statement at all?

Because if you have an interim manager you’d normally be out looking for a permanent. Think this says: we’re not looking for anyone just now, Liam has earned the right to show whether he deserves the manager badge.

seems very sensible. 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because if you have an interim manager you’d normally be out looking for a permanent. Think this says: we’re not looking for anyone just now, Liam has earned the right to show whether he deserves the manager badge.

seems very sensible. 

Exactly this…I had heard that there was contact from managers and agents about the ‘possible’ vacancy. This quells that without long term commitment. 

I think it is a well considered and thoughtfully worded statement.  It more or less says, “all good so far Liam, you do your bit and we’ll do ours and the rewards for both parties will follow”

I could well be wrong, but Liam might even want this for now, it’s a lot less pressure for him to begin with, and gives him somewhere to go if he does have a stuttering start, if he was made manager now and then does struggle, then the door is the only option, whilst now if it isn’t a great start and someone else is brought in, there is no loss of honour or face for either party if he steps back to assistant.

I think it is great and rather liberating (considering the past couple of years) that the new regime feels it is able to communicate such matters to fans in the way they have.

Andrew

53 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The club used to get hammered for making the wrong decisions - now they're taking the time to try and make the right decision, they are still getting hammered. 

I think they are right to see how it goes - he's never managed before and this could go wrong with a guy on a 2/3 year contract. 

Agreed.

We also used to hammer them because of the lack of communication.

Now they are communicating, some criticize.

Can't win.

Reads to me as the jobs his as long as the team don't completely crumble over the start of the season. I imagine behind the scenes he's been told "don't worry, we're not looking for anyone, squad loves you, everyone has confidence, the top brass just want to see the team perform in the league and we'll finalize things"

Doesn't read to me as "he's in post until we entice Neil Warnock out of the clutches of his retirement with a trail of worthers originals and a greasy chip butty"

Can't understand the criticism on here.....yer let's do what we did in the past hand out 4 year contracts to managers then bomb then out after a season and a half rinse and repeat.....win win for the club, good incentive for Rosenoir to do well if he doesn't then gives the club time to start looking around without worrying about paying off another contract 

38 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Interesting they said about the whole structure, I suspect as some have mentioned, they're probably weighing up manager Vs DoF & head coach. Would LR even want to work under a DoF? Given he was part coach part analyst when he 1st joined he might want involment in transfers, so that would change everything 

DC will now have a pretty good idea what owning a D1 club is about in terms of cashflows. He’ll know that if the club has a gate that’s above twice the division average, then it should not be a financial drain. In fact the club should make a profit, given he’s got very few legacy high earning players and given all that covid has done to player salaries.

But he knows we belong in the Championship and that the fans will require that. That’s a different level of financial risk. So even if he can put up with reluctantly owning a D1 club, as others have said he’ll be keen to exit stage left when promotion beckons.

So maybe that’s the quandary for the rebuild - does he look gradually to rebuild an organisation with Championship level infrastructure. Or does he keep a smaller D1 model for now ?

Think for now he’ll do the latter, then when promotion is in the bag, maybe give that nice Mr Appleby a call so he can put a group of wealthy Americans together. Then Appleby (or whoever it is) can properly rebuild 

But the transition back to the championship may not be easy 

Edited by kevinhectoring

I don't see anything wrong with this. It's a difficult situation for new ownership in the middle of pre season. We are weeks away from the new season, recruitment is already underway and we've brought in players that Rooney and Rosenior have identified.

The only thing we can do is let Rosenior get on with it and see how he does. I don't think it would be wise right now to announce him as full time manager given he is a complete rookie. Instead let him just get on with the job and if he does well, appoint him as manager.

The club have said they will give him every support needed to succeed in his role. It's a massive opportunity for Rosenior, it's his job to lose.

Edited by Rammy03

51 minutes ago, Topram said:

Sensible but hopefully players won’t see this as I won’t sign he may not be here in a few weeks

I doubt it. Really nothing has changed. Rosenior was interim before this statement and he is interim now but he will be given full support to get the job full time. It is his job to lose. Think about it, if the players are joining for Rosenior then there is nothing to worry about is there.

He will be DC United's Assistant Soccer Ball Coacher in a few months time. 

Nah, this is sensible. Rosenior talks very well, is obviously very intelligent and he's made a good start and impression. But I wouldn't be going around tieing him and backroom staff down to long-term contracts anytime soon. Even if it means we get bitten further down the line. 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

seems very sensible. 

And what a change from the previous incumbent owner! The incomings show that Liam knows he's being backed and listened to presumably and I am sure DC and he have discussed it. It doesnt seem to have prevented players signing. As long as Liam is happy that's the main thing. 

Imagine the alternative- long instant contract for Liam then things go pearshaped and all team sacked with big payoff and everyone goes same old derby, dc just like mm, etc. 

I think Liam will do well

My wise boss used to say that if a new senior appointee failed, it was not the fault of the appointee but of the people who appointed him.

We all know that the higher up a large organisation, the worse the decisions often are - because too often those at the top are only any good at getting to the top.

So well done once again Mr Clowes for being objectively sensible.

At this rate, DCFC might just become a successful Club. Though of course, it depends on your criteria for judging success!

The right approach. Smash the first half of the season get us into promotion contention, make him permanent. People will always criticise, even taking this pragmatic approach those hindsight kings and queens will be saying giving him the job mid season was a terrible move if it all tails off in second half of the season.