Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Leigh Curtis’ response to a question about Roberts potential transfer during the DET Q&A he started at 12pm. Looks like that one is pretty much done as speculated on. 

185C4671-98CF-46E3-BAB0-398FE5EF9782.jpeg

That's so disappointing - I thought he was nailed on for coming here.

I get that it's a league above but, really, for how long? And, with the fact that he knows the environment and he clearly enjoyed his football here, I really thought that would count for something.

Shame. Think he's already a very good player who will get better. Presumably he knows this, which is why he wants to play at a higher level. 

This is one reason I don't like it when people say 'i don't mind missing out on promotion, we weren't ready, gives us no time time to plan' etc etc. If you miss out on promotion it makes it much harder to keep and attract good young players. 

On 06/06/2023 at 09:43, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Summer is going swimmingly then, McGoldrick off to Notts County and Roberts not signing.

Can't beat a good old fasioned Derby County transfer window 😆

we're going to hit the ground running in the new season. Why wait until next Feb for a slump in form when you can get off to one in August......🤣

all part of the plan...

Unfortunately something we have to accept that whilst we might have the history and size as a football club, we are ultimately up against clubs in a higher league than us. 

If this was a choice between a premier league club and championship club we wouldn’t begrudge him going for the higher league. Same applies to Championship and League One. 

It's unlikely Warne wants Cashin at the heart of the defence. Evidence points towards him wanting an experienced and commanding leader there. Roberts doesn't get in the side ahead of Cashin at LCB.

With 3/5 at the back, wing backs need to be a key source of chance creation. This is the main area Roberts needs to improve on. He averaged less than 1 key pass per 90 whilst playing LB, with his only assist coming in the game vs Bristol in October. He also only scored 1 goal from LB. In my opinion, he wouldn't be a starter at LWB next season.

23 hours ago, Scott129 said:

That's so disappointing - I thought he was nailed on for coming here.

I get that it's a league above but, really, for how long? And, with the fact that he knows the environment and he clearly enjoyed his football here, I really thought that would count for something.

he’s hardly been here 5 minutes. No surprise he’s been tempted by better football and more money. It’s a shame tho

Roberts is a promising young player it would have been nice to sign him permanently but I don't think it indicates a great deal if he signs for Brizzle. Decent player, improved over the season, fair play to him if he can cut it in the Champ. 

If we are going to play 3 at the back though, I don't have him as a starter at LWB or LCB to be completely honest.

12 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Not yet. It would be good if decides it's Derby not Bristol for him.

Reading the online Bristol Post today it seems to suggest the deal’s waiting on Brighton’s retained list coming out and whether it will be subject to compensation. Says Brighton’s retained list is expected this week.

Edited by DiggerB

2 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Reading the online Bristol Post today it seems to suggest the deal’s waiting on Brighton’s retained list coming out and whether it will be subject to compensation. Says Brighton’s retained list is expected this week.

Brighton would be daft not to at least offer him equal terms in order to get a £500-600k compensation or whatever it would be. I thought that would've already been considered a done deal. 

44 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Brighton would be daft not to at least offer him equal terms in order to get a £500-600k compensation or whatever it would be. I thought that would've already been considered a done deal. 

But can't he then accept their offer and they're lumbered with paying the wages of a player they don't want?