Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

12 minutes ago, JJH said:

You can’t see it unless you’re a member mate. 

Secret society then - isn’t that a very boring way of going about things ? You come here and have a decent chat and fair enough but over there alternative conversation isn’t tolerated? We know Mr P likes to talk to himself and eventually believes what he is saying to himself in some confused Stockholm syndrome pattern. 

4 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Maybe Roberts Agent stirred the pot so Derby came with a better deal? Seems very odd that someone who has been advertised everywhere that he's going to a club and it's not been announced right away? For example, The Mcgoldrick move to Notts was done and dusted.. this is dragging out.. so who knows 👀🤞

I did wonder whether the Bristol Post’s “they’re waiting on Brighton’s retained list coming out” was a bit of a line?

25 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

Looks like we're not the only fanbase getting antsy about transfers at least.

I’m relaxed about it to be fair mate, I’d like him to sign but if not I trust that we’ll have another one lined up. Roberts wasn’t first choice, we tried re-signing Joe Bryan, that hasn’t materialised so onto Roberts.

Feels like we’re run competently for the first time in years which is a credit to Pearson. Lansdown has no idea how to run a football club, he’s admitted on radio Pearson’s told him more than a few home truths. Lee Johnson was just a nodding dog.

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Secret society then - isn’t that a very boring way of going about things ? You come here and have a decent chat and fair enough but over there alternative conversation isn’t tolerated? We know Mr P likes to talk to himself and eventually believes what he is saying to himself in some confused Stockholm syndrome pattern. 

I agree with you mate. I’m not a fan of OTIB anyway to be honest, makes no sense to hide away the transfer section.

2 minutes ago, JJH said:

I’m relaxed about it to be fair mate, I’d like him to sign but if not I trust that we’ll have another one lined up. Roberts wasn’t first choice, we tried re-signing Joe Bryan, that hasn’t materialised so onto Roberts.

Feels like we’re run competently for the first time in years which is a credit to Pearson. Lansdown has no idea how to run a football club, he’s admitted on radio Pearson’s told him more than a few home truths. Lee Johnson was just a nodding dog.

On that note, Rob Dickie is an immense signing, one of the best bits of business i've seen so far

Paul Warne on Hayden Roberts April 2023

"I thought Haydon was excellent, he's got real ability to travel with the ball and he's deceptively quick with it at his feet.

"He was a real standout performer and I am really pleased with him.

"He is my kind of player. He is coachable, he is athletic, he is aggressive and he wants to get better"

I’d be very surprised if Warne hasn’t tried extremely hard to keep Roberts.

I rate Roberts, think he’ll turn out to have a good footballing future at a decent level. 👍

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

On that note, Rob Dickie is an immense signing, one of the best bits of business i've seen so far

I’m happy with it mate, not wanting to derail the thread as I appreciate 99% on here couldn’t give a toss about Bristol City but they wanted wanted £15m+ a year ago, so to get him for £700k I’m very happy with. McCrorie signed too who was Aberdeen’s POTY last year so we’re well stacked at CB now.

Who are you lot in for any rumours? I saw that Notts player signed for Oxford, I think he’d have been a good signing so that’s a shame. 

McGoldrick big shoes to fill as well but I’m sure you’ll spend on a striker. Ought to go for Langstaff really?

2 minutes ago, JJH said:

I’m happy with it mate, not wanting to derail the thread as I appreciate 99% on here couldn’t give a toss about Bristol City but they wanted wanted £15m+ a year ago, so to get him for £700k I’m very happy with. McCrorie signed too who was Aberdeen’s POTY last year so we’re well stacked at CB now.

Who are you lot in for any rumours? I saw that Notts player signed for Oxford, I think he’d have been a good signing so that’s a shame. 

McGoldrick big shoes to fill as well but I’m sure you’ll spend on a striker. Ought to go for Langstaff really?

We haven't got a clue tbh - it seems like all of our business is being kept well under wraps.

We were rumoured to be in for Rodrigues at Notts County, as well as Alfie May at Cheltenham. But no official approaches on either, apparently.

Couple of other bits of paper talk - Dabo, Darnell Fisher, Wes Harding - but nothing with any real substance just yet. It's quite refreshing because I suspect our first signing is just going to come out of absolutely nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

We haven't got a clue tbh - it seems like all of our business is being kept well under wraps.

We were rumoured to be in for Rodrigues at Notts County, as well as Alfie May at Cheltenham. But no official approaches on either, apparently.

Couple of other bits of paper talk - Dabo, Darnell Fisher, Wes Harding - but nothing with any real substance just yet. It's quite refreshing because I suspect our first signing is just going to come out of absolutely nowhere.

Alfie May would be good, I saw Charlton were in for him. That’d be a solid replacement for McGoldrick, although not like for like I should think he’ll get much better service at Derby than he did at Cheltenham.

Dabo’s a good shout on a free, seems like you’re in for wing backs then? He was immense for Coventry at this level.

You could do worse than him for sure.

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Am I the only one not really bothered if Haydon Roberts signs or not? I mean, hes ok but not that essential.

Exactly how I feel.  I thought he did well last season but he doesn't really offer much threat going forward. Happy to keep him but think there are other decent options out there to fill the defence if he doesn't come back

5 minutes ago, JJH said:

Seems Roberts gets very mixed reviews from you lot.

As a LB in a back four or a CB in a back 3 I’d be happy with him. Wouldn’t be as a wing back.

He's decent - not sure anyone will say otherwise. He wasn't in the running for player of the season or anything, but it's not to say he wasn't good for us. He progressed a hell of a lot towards the back end of the season and definitely matured. 

I would say that his best position would be left back of a four. He isn't attacking enough to be a wing back, also I don't think he is dominating aerially to be a centre back - even as part of a three but he could definitely do both positions if asked. He did for us last season. 

He's a solid defender with good athleticism and can play football, but he's never going to stand anyone up and take them on. He did score an absolute rocket from outside the box for us last season, but he's not trying to do it too often.   

21 minutes ago, JJH said:

As a LB in a back four or a CB in a back 3 I’d be happy with him. Wouldn’t be as a wing back.

I think some aren't factoring in his age. He was a solid performer for us and should imho only get better. He's absolutely worth a punt on a free. I'd have had him back without a doubt and it sounds like our gaffer was of the same thinking. 

21 minutes ago, JJH said:

He's really interesting as a player. He clearly wants to play the Pep-style inverted wingback and Rosenior brought him in to do so, and that's been when he's at his best. He's not going to be getting to the byline and whipping in crosses. I also very rarely remember him getting caught out of position defensively. He's not a highlight reel player but he's clearly got potential and I'd love to see him here to see what he could be. His best position is unfortunately left sided CB, which is where our squad is strongest, so despite being an excellent pickup if we were to grab him, he's probably not a priority.

Won't miss his horrendous goatee though!