Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

45 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Don't think Warne would pair him with Cashin in a back 3 unless.........

Yes this is my concern, HR even said he preferred the centre back role over wing back, so the real question is if HR signs does this mean Cashin is off?

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Yes this is my concern, HR even said he preferred the centre back role over wing back, so the real question is if HR signs does this mean Cashin is off?

We will sell anyone if the money is right - the same as any other club 

Why would people assume roberts and cashin cant play together?  

If its due to height i dont think this will be an issue- cashin won the most aerials in the league last year (i think).  

Plus if we can land Bradley thats going to be the best back 3 in the league imo

Edited by The_Sheriff

15 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Why would people assume roberts and cashin cant play together?  

If its due to height i dont think this will be an issue- cashin won the most aerials in the league last year (i think).  

Plus if we can land Bradley thats going to be the best back 3 in the league imo

Also both left footed and prefer left side of a three if that's the formation we are going with.

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Also both left footed and prefer left side of a three if that's the formation we are going with.

Cashin could play as the middle one I think but you’d need someone quick and tall for the right hand side.

Worry (not really a worry but a slight concern) is that Warne sees Roberts as a LWB. Would make it much more of a back 5 than a back 3.

I am not overly convinced Cashin fits perfectly into a modern back 3 but we will see what happens.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Cashin could play as the middle one I think but you’d need someone quick and tall for the right hand side.

Worry (not really a worry but a slight concern) is that Warne sees Roberts as a LWB. Would make it much more of a back 5 than a back 3.

I am not overly convinced Cashin fits perfectly into a modern back 3 but we will see what happens.

Didn’t Roberts finish the season as the lwb/left sided midfielder with Cashin, Davies and Forsyth as the back 3? 
Cashin and two new blokes for the back 3 with Forsyth and another as options. Roberts can play there if called upon but we make him first choice lwb and spend the preseason training him to play that role exactly how Warne wants him to, building on the promise he showed in that position at times last season and the understanding that was already evident, extra work improving the crossing, encouraging him to take on more shots like the absolute beauty he scored last year….problem sorted. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Roberts was one of the better players in the final run of the season, was consistent, covered defensively down the left and strode forward into midfield. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added thoughts

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

I don't think the fact they're both left-footed is a problem, if they were both right-footed would that be an issue?

We had a lot of left-footed players last season, but it shouldn't matter for a player based centrally. Cashin also looks comfortable using both feet.

10 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We should have had him signed up week's ago..

Assumed this was why we released half the defence.

Don't think it works like that. Haydon would be dumb not to see if offers of a higher level and more money come in. His agent wouldn't be exactly doing his job. I'm sure we've been trying for weeks, if not months already.

33 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

No surprise, I felt that he had done well enough to catch the attention of a championship team. We just have to do what we can to get him to choose us - this is where the personnel within the club need to prove they can do the sales side. 

Bristol City are the expected to be in a relegation battle next season, we’re early favourites to win the league. 10 thousand more a week through the door, despite being in the division below. Wages won’t be an issue. 

Part of me thinks if we aren’t able to convince Roberts to join us over Bristol, that should be a concern. 

18 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We should have had him signed up week's ago..

Assumed this was why we released half the defence.

You assumed we released a number of ageing and injury prone players all to sign one 20 year old? There’s a saying about not assuming anything….

The club is proactively working on recruitment, if Roberts signs with us that’ll be grand, if he chooses to go elsewhere good luck to him. I’m quietly confident we’ll have more defenders lined up and signed before the season starts, try not to let one or two rumours on Twitter ruin your day folks.

Just now, Scott129 said:

Going to be annoyed if he signs for someone else.

I know footballers generally aren't the sharpest, but what's the point of dropping hints on social media like he did if he's not coming back here?

You could also argue we’ve all seen what we wanted to see. I read into it straight away as him suggesting he’s coming back to Derby, cause that’s what I wanted to see. Maybe that wasn’t his intention. 
Another perspective is Roberts shared what he did because it’s his name on the back of A shirt, not necessarily that it was OUR shirt and he’s ready to look after his future, hence deleting all his posts ready for a fresh start 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

If he moves elsewhere we pursue other targets, that’s the way of it. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No surprise, I felt that he had done well enough to catch the attention of a championship team. We just have to do what we can to get him to choose us - this is where the personnel within the club need to prove they can do the sales side. 

Bristol City are the expected to be in a relegation battle next season, we’re early favourites to win the league. 10 thousand more a week through the door, despite being in the division below. Wages won’t be an issue. 

Part of me thinks if we aren’t able to convince Roberts to join us over Bristol, that should be a concern. 

6,000 more through the door, and even the most pessimistic Bristol City fan isn't expecting us to be anywhere near a relegation battle next year.

More money, higher level, no brainer.