Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think he'll be an ideal Pearson-style fullback: solid defensively but with the offensive qualities to advance play when needed. 

And we'll see, given all our departures our squad is going to look radically different from last season. With no players through the door yet it feels impossible to say. Hope so, but I'll probably be cautious. 

McGoldrick is going to Notts I read?

Mental that they'd have him and Langstaff in L2, we're supposed to be in for Langstaff but will believe it when I see it with that one.

14 minutes ago, JJH said:

McGoldrick is going to Notts I read?

Mental that they'd have him and Langstaff in L2, we're supposed to be in for Langstaff but will believe it when I see it with that one.

Who knows with Didzy, people have gone mental on twitter today based on rumours but that's hardly concrete. My gut says he will go back to Notts, but that also we shouldn't be reliant on a 35 year old and it may be best if we move on from him being first choice anyway.

We need a whole new defence and attack, very hard to predict how you're going fare when most of the starting XI is currently question marks 😂

To be fair he came good in the end, but..........

Don't think he's big enough to be a Warne centre half alongside Cashin and don't think he can cross very reliably - so not good enough to be a Warne LWB.

I'd have been happy if he re-signed but think he's more suited to LB or LCB with some big lads around him. Decent defender.

52 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Don't think he's big enough to be a Warne centre half alongside Cashin and don't think he can cross very reliably - so not good enough to be a Warne LWB.

I'd have been happy if he re-signed but think he's more suited to LB or LCB with some big lads around him. Decent defender.

Yes have to agree. Was steady enough but I wouldn’t say he’s an up and down wing back type. And not physical enough for heading balls out at CB

Sometimes I'd rather a player signed for someone else, not because I don't rate him (I do, a lot - I was impressed by his performance against WBA in the cup, although I was impressed with Oduroh that day too) but because I think it would be better for their development long term.

I never really saw how he'd fit here once Rosenior left, even though he did have some very good games under Warne.

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Sometimes I'd rather a player signed for someone else, not because I don't rate him (I do, a lot - I was impressed by his performance against WBA in the cup, although I was impressed with Oduroh that day too) but because I think it would be better for their development long term.

I never really saw how he'd fit here once Rosenior left, even though he did have some very good games under Warne.

He played his best football under Warne towards the back end of last season, probably of his career. Definitely was one player who I could point to and say developed under him anyway - both physically and mentally. 

I thought he would stick around, a little like Ebiowei last season. It looked like it was starting to come together for him. Still, if he signs for Bristol City it will be interesting to see how he gets on and where he plays. 

If he signs then great. If he doesn’t then I’m not overly concerned. There will be better options out there I’m sure. Let’s not forget Sibley kept him out the team for a good while. He had a decent end to the season but I’d certainly be wanting an upgrade on him. I don’t think he’s ready for the Championship yet. For me he’d benefit from another season in L1 and establish himself as #1 in his position. 

9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

If he signs then great. If he doesn’t then I’m not overly concerned. There will be better options out there I’m sure. Let’s not forget Sibley kept him out the team for a good while. He had a decent end to the season but I’d certainly be wanting an upgrade on him. I don’t think he’s ready for the Championship yet. For me he’d benefit from another season in L1 and establish himself as #1 in his position. 

Good points but a big factor with Roberts is his age. There just aren't going to be many free agents/cheap options of his quality at the age he is.

I suspect most of the players we'll end up bringing in will still be 26/27+, who will have little to no re-sale value in a year or two's time.

Roberts, however, if you tie him down on a four-year contract, and he has a good couple of seasons with us, could quite easily make us a couple of million in profit.

All part of being a sustainably-run club!

Edited by Scott129

33 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Good points but a big factor with Roberts is his age. There just aren't going to be many free agents/cheap options of his quality at the age he is.

I suspect most of the players we'll end up bringing in will still be 26/27+, who will have little to no re-sale value in a year or two's time.

Roberts, however, if you tie him down on a four-year contract, and he has a good couple of seasons with us, could quite easily make us a couple of million in profit.

All part of being a sustainably-run club!

Roberts won’t be the only capable academy player released by premier league clubs this summer, he’s just the one we know about most having watched him with a ram on his chest last season. Perhaps we’ll be surprised by one or two of the players we do sign, there might be younger options with a high ceiling and resale value that we bring in. I’m intrigued to see what business we do. 

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Roberts won’t be the only capable academy player released by premier league clubs this summer, he’s just the one we know about most having watched him with a ram on his chest last season. Perhaps we’ll be surprised by one or two of the players we do sign, there might be younger options with a high ceiling and resale value that we bring in. I’m intrigued to see what business we do. 

This is true. But I will say the most impressive thing about Roberts was consistency for me. I would very rarely see him veer from around 7/10. 

14 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Agreed - Am a little surprised at how keen people are for him to join. In the end he probably had a 7/10 season in L1 which is great but not earth shattering. I think he's a decent, tidy footballer who may end up a championship player one day, maybe very soon!

9 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

Agreed - Am a little surprised at how keen people are for him to join. In the end he probably had a 7/10 season in L1 which is great but not earth shattering. I think he's a decent, tidy footballer who may end up a championship player one day, maybe very soon!

7/10 at 20 years old... why would you not want that?

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

Imagine speaking to Nigel Pearson and thinking "yeah, y'know what? I fancy a bit of that."

Some players really like him, similar to Nigel Clough in that regard, but I knew someone who played under him at Leicester as a young player coming through the academy into the first team and he really liked him as a manager - knew how to keep players on their toes.