Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

That loan was when Rochdale was in League 1 (googled to confirm). So Roberts has some idea of what to expect. It was also at a side fighting relegation, he'll probably be expecting to come into one which ought to be challenging for the top half & better.

Derby County 'target' subject of six-figure Leeds United bid - report - Derbyshire Live (derbytelegraph.co.uk)

Leigh Curtis /Sep '20 well before he replaced Nicholson at the DET. We've been linked to Roberts before. Linked to RB Leipzig as well. The only concern is that a club higher up/Champ'ship chance their arm & try to gazump us.

Yes, I'm talking about Luton.

21 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

That loan was when Rochdale was in League 1 (googled to confirm). So Roberts has some idea of what to expect. It was also at a side fighting relegation, he'll probably be expecting to come into one which ought to be challenging for the top half & better.

Derby County 'target' subject of six-figure Leeds United bid - report - Derbyshire Live (derbytelegraph.co.uk)

Leigh Curtis /Sep '20 well before he replaced Nicholson at the DET. We've been linked to Roberts before. Linked to RB Leipzig as well. The only concern is that a club higher up/Champ'ship chance their arm & try to gazump us.

Yes, I'm talking about Luton.

I don't get why they'd go to Luton.  Apart from a few quid more a week.  Their ground is a dive (sorry Hatters), their academy is cat 3 (may now have recently scraped cat 2?), and they average barely 10k fans a week on a good day.  I don't get the draw. 

4 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

I don't get why they'd go to Luton.  Apart from a few quid more a week.  Their ground is a dive (sorry Hatters), their academy is cat 3 (may now have recently scraped cat 2?), and they average barely 10k fans a week on a good day.  I don't get the draw. 

Fearsome home atmosphere,  though. The fans are almost in touching distance of the pitch.

9 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Remember the good old days when we were competing with Villa for players, now it's bloody Luton.  If they hadn't got em all at 40k a week we'd have been bust 3 years ago. 

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Fearsome home atmosphere,  though. The fans are almost in touching distance of the pitch.

Yeah, get that, I've been. Very much an old fashioned ground and one reason they did well last season imo; it's a pretty hostile environment 

17 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Nathen Jones is ex Brighton (may even have been caretaker manager for a game) and has good links there. Possibly even played with Rosenior. 

Roberts was a centre back but is t the tallest and ended up more a left sided defender. His loan spell at Rochdale ended with Rochdale being relegated and they leaked goals for fun.

@BucksRam, I was being ironic/flippant, but parent clubs aren't sentimental, they want to see a player progress. At the moment, we're disadvantaged by the fact that we are in League 1. Other sides may appear 'lesser', but they can offer what the parent club may prefer that player to experience.

Put it this way.  The idea is to test a player on loan at the highest standard available to see how they cope.  Chances are it will be Luton then.  Another parameter is how do they play in front of a large crowd, but the league position trumps it .  Any normal season he's here tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

@BucksRam, I was being ironic/flippant, but parent clubs aren't sentimental, they want to see a player progress. At the moment, we're disadvantaged by the fact that we are in League 1. Other sides may appear 'lesser', but they can offer what the parent club may prefer that player to experience.

Yeah fair comment, get that. Maybe I'm biased. No, I know I am.  Not a fan of Luton. As you may have guessed.  Its not far from me so I know it pretty well.  Unfortunately ?

2 hours ago, angieram said:

They also now have plans for a new stadium all approved. They are noisy, brash, loyal and seriously unfashionable.  I have a huge soft spot for Luton, it’s also where I first saw Curtis kick a ball. 
They started last year saying survival would be great, they know who they are and have no pretensions, they been through the same EFL mill as us 

(but Luton really is grotty with a capital G ) 

54 minutes ago, jono said:

They also now have plans for a new stadium all approved. They are noisy, brash, loyal and seriously unfashionable.  I have a huge soft spot for Luton, it’s also where I first saw Curtis kick a ball. 
They started last year saying survival would be great, they know who they are and have no pretensions, they been through the same EFL mill as us 

(but Luton really is grotty with a capital G ) 

They need to be careful they don't lose that atmosphere at a new ground - it's their biggest asset!