Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

44 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Brighton would be daft not to at least offer him equal terms in order to get a £500-600k compensation or whatever it would be. I thought that would've already been considered a done deal. 

Depends.  They probably don't want the situation where they offer him a new deal, and Bristol (and any other similar-sized clubs) decide £500k is too much and back out.  Then Brighton are stuck with a player that they don't want and who doesn't want to be there.

30 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

But can't he then accept their offer and they're lumbered with paying the wages of a player they don't want?

Of course, but all they have to do is match his current contract (likely to be £5k a week roughly) whereas Bristol's offer will no doubt be triple that amount. They would also hold his registration and would probably be able to get a decent fee for loaning him out - and his wages paid. 

Premier League clubs need not worry about being 'lumbered' with relatively tiny (honestly, insignificant) contracts. What it does do is entitle them to compensation which is essentially free money to them - all things considered I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult for them to get half a million. 

37 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Depends.  They probably don't want the situation where they offer him a new deal, and Bristol (and any other similar-sized clubs) decide £500k is too much and back out.  Then Brighton are stuck with a player that they don't want and who doesn't want to be there.

If the rules stipulated 'match the contract offer' then it would be different, but all they would have to do is offer him the same terms as his previous youth deal - likely not much for a player that hasn't played a game.

If Bristol (or whoever) pull out and he signs there - they wouldn't lose any money because they could just loan him out again. No doubt we would have him back in a flash on the same terms, so really they're in a no lose situation. 

17 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

They've released him, and he'll be announced tomorrow.

Not bad on a free.

20 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Of course, but all they have to do is match his current contract (likely to be £5k a week roughly) whereas Bristol's offer will no doubt be triple that amount. They would also hold his registration and would probably be able to get a decent fee for loaning him out - and his wages paid. 

Premier League clubs need not worry about being 'lumbered' with relatively tiny (honestly, insignificant) contracts. What it does do is entitle them to compensation which is essentially free money to them - all things considered I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult for them to get half a million. 

We (Bristol City) certainly won’t be trebling his pay. Our current plan is all about cutting the wage bill while maintaining the squad quality. 

Nakhi Wells has decided to stay and taken a pay cut. Tomas Kalas is out of contract and was allegedly on £25K over the last 5 years but has been offered renewal at around (or below) £10K. And he’s an established Czech international.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

We (Bristol City) certainly won’t be trebling his pay. Our current plan is all about cutting the wage bill while maintaining the squad quality. 

Nakhi Wells has decided to stay and taken a pay cut. Tomas Kalas is out of contract and was allegedly on £25K over the last 5 years but has been offered renewal at around (or below) £10K. And he’s an established Czech international.

I'd imagine his wages are quite low at Brighton, £10k would probably double what he's on there. I'd also guess (although could be wrong) we would've offered something similar (if not more). 

21 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Not sure why Brighton have seemingly turned down this opportunity of free money.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ha! So that's why...

Where on earth has that figure come from? He signed the contract at 18 years of age at the same time he agreed to go on a season-long loan to Rochdale. 

I've seen some obvious s**** in my time, but that's up there with the worst I can recall. 

19 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Where on earth has that figure come from? He signed the contract at 18 years of age at the same time he agreed to go on a season-long loan to Rochdale. 

I've seen some obvious s**** in my time, but that's up there with the worst I can recall. 

could be out by a factor of 10 

19 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Don’t forgot last year we couldn’t pay loan fees so no chance Brighton   would be happy to pay that full amount 

47 minutes ago, Topram said:

Don’t forgot last year we couldn’t pay loan fees so no chance Brighton   would be happy to pay that full amount 

There is a lot of reasons why it just isn't true. The website it is from, however, generates a clubs' wage bill by pure guess work. 

So, MY guess is that they've looked at the companies house documentation from a previous year and started inflating youth team players wages to get close to the value. They just took the piss when it came to Haydon Roberts. 

Anyone with an 1/8th of a brain would see that Brighton weren't going to give an 18 year old with no first team experience, about to go out on loan to a struggling League One side, circa £1.5m per annum in wages. It would put him on par with some of the best paid players in the Championship (discounting bonuses). It's just clearly wildly incorrect.