Curtis Davies - signed 1-year deal

YouRams

Putting to one side that he is a bloody decent bloke, community champion, leader and so on ...he is an excellent footballer ...at the end of his career has had the bottle and ability to completely adapt his game ..in years to come folks will remember his contribution during difficult times ...to play in that game against Wednesday , unfit and no contract was immense and should never be forgotten   ( getting a result in that game  probably saved us at best case from now being a League 2 club) 

The obvious choice - and absolutely the right one.

No one deserves that band more than Curtis. He’s the perfect captain - a genuinely top bloke, both on and off the pitch, and a true role model for younger players to aspire to.

Stayed loyal to the club through some very dark days, when he could’ve left for an easier job on more money on multiple occasions. Proper modern day Derby hero in my book, and a man who loves the club as his own.

His leadership has never been in doubt, having worn the armband many times for us, and been de facto captain for much of his time here. He’d lead even without the armband, but it’s nice recognition for him to make it official, in what may be his final season in football. Let’s hope he ends it on a high by leading us back to the Championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I thought I couldn’t love him any more…

We were getting the train back from the Commonwealths last night and the train stopped at New St. My son was sitting facing the door, wearing a Derby training top.  This guy walked past George and patted him on the shoulder and said hi, then sat on the seats behind. I whispered who was that? and it was only Curtis bloody Davies.

So I popped my head round to ask if I could say hello (he’d signed a shirt for George recently and I wanted to say thanks) and he was unbelievably friendly. It’s 25 minutes back to Sutton and we chatted the whole way. I backed off and sat down initially as he was with his daughter, but he was leaning over the seats and really happy to talk.

I can’t remember everything we talked about (I was a bit giddy!) but he said Netflix should have done a documentary on us and listed all the dramas since he’s been at the club. One thing I didn’t know it had forgotten is 8 or 9 people got food poisoning in America on the pre-season when Cocu joined. Apparently the food was inedible and they were ordering McDonalds on Uber Eats.

He seemed put out that the existing players’ deals were last to be sorted out. His words were that the club sorted out the new signings and there was this much left over for us. Didn’t seem salty though and said other clubs wanted to talk to him but he always wanted to stay, so made excuses to avoid speaking to them. He would like a final year at Orient though.

Interestingly he hopes DC will appoint football people for football roles, rather than finance people. I asked if he meant Steven Pearce and he did, doesn’t seem happy that he’s still there.

There was loads more, I might post again if I remember anything interesting. But I was blown away how friendly he was, he’s a lovely man and I’m pretty sure we’re now best friends. I’m definitely going to invite him to my birthday party!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...