Bristol City (A) Matchday Thread

roboto

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The first point makes the second If true and I don't think so) somewhat understandable. But bottom line is without the points deduction this limited squad would be out of the relegation zone.

It’s all hypothetical though. Without the points deduction, we’d be fourth from bottom that’s true, but I don’t think the perception and sympathy for Rooney would be there. On the contrary I think there would be similar calls for him to leave as there were last season.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s all hypothetical though. Without the points deduction, we’d be fourth from bottom that’s true, but I don’t think the perception and sympathy for Rooney would be there. On the contrary I think there would be similar calls for him to leave as there were last season.

There is always calls for the manager to go when results are poor. But normally it relates to when a squad is not achieving their potential - this squad is achieving it's potential most of the time.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

And paying a manager 90k a week in league 1 isn't great either so all swings and roundabouts. 

And paying up a manager's contract and then having to pay for another one is even less great.

I think we've got the t-shirt for that one, haven't we? 

Edited by Crewton

43 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Before this season started, before any deductions were implemented, we were nailed on to finish dead last by both bookies and fans alike. So I genuinely find it bizzare that some of our fans consistently criticise Rooney for not doing better when if it wasn't for the points deduction we'd be a few places out of the relegation zone. The fact of the matter is our squad is appalling and even without the -21 points staying up would have been an achievement. We don't have a single CB under the age of 34 nor do we have a reliable and consistent goalkeeper. We have two senior strikers, one is permanently injured and the other is a 35 year old struggling to find match fitness after another injury. Our midfield has 1 player who can reliably pass in Bielik and he's recovering from his 2nd ACL in 2 years.

We do have some good players in the first team and the academy lads who have done well to make up for some of the squads deficiencies but there's only so much that can be expected of them. The squad has had some serious problem areas for a few seasons now and it seems very unfair to expect Rooney to fix them using teenagers from the academy while having no access to the transfer market. I understand being upset at the performance, especially when the first half was as dire as it was today. However I don't understand consistently having a pop at a manager for not achieving the impossible while having one arm tied behind his back in his first managerial role.

'Consistently having a pop'...?

Pretty mild criticism at worst. He hasn't got any previous experience, he had a shocking end to his first season and performances are very up n down this season, with us hovering just above the relegation places regardless of points deduction with only Barnsley having won less games (and one of them was against us).

Nobody is forgetting the good things he has done this season and no one is demanding he is sacked. There is a long way to go but its starting to look increasingly like we may start turning our attention to next season in a few weeks time, so I think it's not ridiculous for people to worry in a respectful way if Rooney has what it takes to do a total rebuild in a new league.

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

...There is a long way to go but its starting to look increasingly like we may start turning our attention to next season in a few weeks time, so I think it's not ridiculous for people to worry in a respectful way if Rooney has what it takes to do a total rebuild in a new league.

Well he's had to attempt 'rebuilds' twice already in the Championship, last season and this. Perhaps it would be a walk in the park actually being able to look at players without a transfer embargo/wages limit?

Poor again today. No hiding from it. Of course the gainsayers will have their day again, smugly pointing out what everyone knows as if nobody else has noticed. It's almost as tiresome as the off the field malarkey. We've seen what Rooney is trying to do and in some games there has been a discernible style. It's up to the players to put it all on the line, be brave and ty and play their game, but unfortunately our squad is pretty limited and their form is patchy as a result. That said, it must be hard to keep fighting when there is so much uncertainty around the club's future and us rubbishing them after every poor performance really won't help matters.

Sadly, I see a few having a pop at Festy today. I wonder if any of them were the the same posters questioning why he's not been starting games? The lad's just turned 19 FFS. I mean tear down the senior players all you like, if you really must, rubbish the gaffer and his coaches too because that always helps, but would it be so hard to give the young'uns a chance before spewing all the 'overrated' BS? He wasn't even that bad today. If I were him reading some of the stuff getting posted, likewise all the other players that some see fit to roast, I'd have my agent planning my exit now.

With friends like us lot... ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Just got home. It's been a long day. Bright and sunny down in Bristol, but some horrendous driving conditions in torrential rain from just below Birmingham on the way back.

To answer some questions about what we expect given the resources at our disposal, I think I expect a bit of fight and for the players and management team to at least have a go. 

I thought we got that second half, and you could tell that's all the majority want from the way the fans got behind the team.

First half team was "meh" and so were the fans. Not sure how much of that was down to Rooney and how much to players not following the plan, but I was pleased to see him have the courage to change it up at half time.

Felt the ref didn't help, he seemed to be giving them everything and us nothing. Whether it's true or not, it was affecting morale. Also, any ref that has to walk 40 yards to book a player because he won't come to him is not in control of the game. And as for the farce over the time-wasting towel routines - ugh.  I can see why he's been demoted from the Prem! 

Went to a right weird pub in Bristol. Ordered a pint of cider and a pint of Guinness and got charged £4.60. It was the highlight of the day really. I was a bit disappointed with the game. It’s really frustrating when you know these are the teams we need to beat. I can see what a Rooney is trying to do. I think he needs a few more players to get it right. A good following for a team bottom.

48 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Poor again today. No hiding from it. Of course the gainsayers will have their day again, smugly pointing out what everyone knows as if nobody else has noticed. It's almost as tiresome as the off the field malarkey. We've seen what Rooney is trying to do and in some games there has been a discernible style. It's up to the players to put it all on the line, be brave and ty and play their game, but unfortunately our squad is pretty limited and their form is patchy as a result. That said, it must be hard to keep fighting when there is so much uncertainty around the club's future and us rubbishing them after every poor performance really won't help matters.

Sadly, I see a few having a pop at Festy today. I wonder if any of them were the the same posters questioning why he's not been starting games? The lad's just turned 19 FFS. I mean tear down the senior players all you like, if you really must, rubbish the gaffer and his coaches too because that always helps, but would it be so hard to give the young'uns a chance before spewing all the 'overrated' BS? He wasn't even that bad today. If I were him reading some of the stuff getting posted, likewise all the other players that some see fit to roast, I'd have my agent planning my exit now.

With friends like us lot... ?

On all fairness to fetsey him and Byrne just don’t work down the same side. They hinder each other in my opinion. I much prefer fetsey at right back if I’m honest. His pace from a deeper position is much better and his best game was when Byrne was out and he played right back 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well he's had to attempt 'rebuilds' twice already in the Championship, last season and this. Perhaps it would be a walk in the park actually being able to look at players without a transfer embargo/wages limit?

‘Tis but a scratch eh Black Knight ?

Rooney coming out after saying "That first half is not the identity of my team"

Well 5 wins in the last 36 games would suggest otherwise. 

They do this time and time again. 

We beat Bournemouth, which was a great result, good point at Fulham. Then we are woeful against QPR and even worse today.

Team selection was bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sibley has been great in the odd games he's playing. But in our position what good is it him playing in the U23s instead of being in the squad? I can't fathom that.

I can't understand playing players out of position when we don't need to. 

The midfield 3 of Shinnie, Bird and Thompson. Jesus Christ.

Shinnie will get stuck in, not much quality, Bird is nice and tidy but doesn't create anything and Thompson is a good prospect. But in terms of creativity and drive. We need something else. Why are we playing so defensive minded when the shackles are off? Why not one holding midfielder? With Knight and Sibley advanced?

And I don't understand how we are supposed to be taking the shackles off, because "Getting a point is no good to us now" only to see us to go a team who aren't very good, who's home form must be one of the worst in the league and having ONE shot on target?

Honestly I just want this season over and done with now. I'd end it now if I could. Just let us sit at the bottom, don't need to play anymore games. Just sit and wait till the end of the season.

10 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Rooney coming out after saying "That first half is not the identity of my team"

Well 5 wins in the last 36 games would suggest otherwise. 

They do this time and time again. 

We beat Bournemouth, which was a great result, good point at Fulham. Then we are woeful against QPR and even worse today.

Team selection was bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sibley has been great in the odd games he's playing. But in our position what good is it him playing in the U23s instead of being in the squad? I can't fathom that.

I can't understand playing players out of position when we don't need to. 

The midfield 3 of Shinnie, Bird and Thompson. Jesus Christ.

Shinnie will get stuck in, not much quality, Bird is nice and tidy but doesn't create anything and Thompson is a good prospect. But in terms of creativity and drive. We need something else. Why are we playing so defensive minded when the shackles are off? Why not one holding midfielder? With Knight and Sibley advanced?

And I don't understand how we are supposed to be taking the shackles off, because "Getting a point is no good to us now" only to see us to go a team who aren't very good, who's home form must be one of the worst in the league and having ONE shot on target?

Honestly I just want this season over and done with now. I'd end it now if I could. Just let us sit at the bottom, don't need to play anymore games. Just sit and wait till the end of the season.

Took the words right out of my mouth 

57 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Tin hat ready but I think Roos would’ve saved the shot they scored with. 

No I agree and I can’t believe it hasn’t received more attention. It was from 18 yards out and nowhere near the corner…a good yard inside the post. For me it was poor footwork from Allsop and if he’d moved better it was a routine save 3yds from the centre of his goal.