Bristol City (A) Matchday Thread

roboto

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Poor again today. No hiding from it. Of course the gainsayers will have their day again, smugly pointing out what everyone knows as if nobody else has noticed. It's almost as tiresome as the off the field malarkey. We've seen what Rooney is trying to do and in some games there has been a discernible style. It's up to the players to put it all on the line, be brave and ty and play their game, but unfortunately our squad is pretty limited and their form is patchy as a result. That said, it must be hard to keep fighting when there is so much uncertainty around the club's future and us rubbishing them after every poor performance really won't help matters.

Sadly, I see a few having a pop at Festy today. I wonder if any of them were the the same posters questioning why he's not been starting games? The lad's just turned 19 FFS. I mean tear down the senior players all you like, if you really must, rubbish the gaffer and his coaches too because that always helps, but would it be so hard to give the young'uns a chance before spewing all the 'overrated' BS? He wasn't even that bad today. If I were him reading some of the stuff getting posted, likewise all the other players that some see fit to roast, I'd have my agent planning my exit now.

With friends like us lot... ?

Well said re Festy. The lad is doing really well in his first season at this level. As a supporter he's one name I like to see on the team sheet as he gets you off your seat as an exciting talent prepared to do what no-one else in the team is - really take his man on and attack, time after time.

So what if it doesn't work sometimes? I'd much rather he tried this and failed than jog 25 yards up the pitch then pass it 10 yards backwards when faced with an opponent. He'll learn the game at this level. And if keeps that attacking intent then he's got a great career ahead of him. 

42 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

No I agree and I can’t believe it hasn’t received more attention. It was from 18 yards out and nowhere near the corner…a good yard inside the post. For me it was poor footwork from Allsop and if he’d moved better it was a routine save 3yds from the centre of his goal.

I missed all the build up - why was Allsop selected in goal as I genuinely think Roos is doing a decent job.

14 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

On all fairness to fetsey him and Byrne just don’t work down the same side. They hinder each other in my opinion. I much prefer fetsey at right back if I’m honest. His pace from a deeper position is much better and his best game was when Byrne was out and he played right back 

Had similar thoughts myself to be fair. That said, I'd hate to see him temper that natural attacking intent wherever he's asked to play and I've seen him operate well from the more advanced role for the U23's. The fact is, he's had nowhere near enough games for folk to be writing him off yet, especially given more often than not, he's had a real impact. Yesterday was not his best but the whole team looked leggy to me, so why single out the youngest and least experienced player on the pitch? Perhaps the fact that he's a proper unit means that some forget he's just a nipper still learning his trade? I'd also venture that the Bristol FB was pretty canny and had a very good game as much as Festy might not have.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

4 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

No I agree and I can’t believe it hasn’t received more attention. It was from 18 yards out and nowhere near the corner…a good yard inside the post. For me it was poor footwork from Allsop and if he’d moved better it was a routine save 3yds from the centre of his goal.

It was an absolute missile! De Gea wouldn't have saved it.

5 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Just a thought, Watch how many keepers in the Prem "have poor footwork", That ball was hit with pace, Admittedly if he was a foot further to his left then a save/block could have happened. We had 5 players going for the ball, That was worse that 11 year olds defending, I'd have hauled them all off, Shocking defending...imo, It takes a rick o shay off a Derby player and Scott hits it 1st time, There's not much choice that I could see what else Allsop have done, He was left wide open by those who are there to protect him.

19 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Before this season started, before any deductions were implemented, we were nailed on to finish dead last by both bookies and fans alike. So I genuinely find it bizzare that some of our fans consistently criticise Rooney for not doing better when if it wasn't for the points deduction we'd be a few places out of the relegation zone. The fact of the matter is our squad is appalling and even without the -21 points staying up would have been an achievement. We don't have a single CB under the age of 34 nor do we have a reliable and consistent goalkeeper. We have two senior strikers, one is permanently injured and the other is a 35 year old struggling to find match fitness after another injury. Our midfield has 1 player who can reliably pass in Bielik and he's recovering from his 2nd ACL in 2 years.

We do have some good players in the first team and the academy lads who have done well to make up for some of the squads deficiencies but there's only so much that can be expected of them. The squad has had some serious problem areas for a few seasons now and it seems very unfair to expect Rooney to fix them using teenagers from the academy while having no access to the transfer market. I understand being upset at the performance, especially when the first half was as dire as it was today. However I don't understand consistently having a pop at a manager for not achieving the impossible while having one arm tied behind his back in his first managerial role.

Ah, the chill blast of reality!

Rooney Rooney IN! IN! IN!

COYR!

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Had similar thoughts myself to be fair. That said, I'd hate to see him temper that natural attacking intent wherever he's asked to play and I've seen him operate well from the more advanced role for the U23's. The fact is, he's had nowhere near enough games for folk to be writing him off yet, especially given more often than not, he's had a real impact. Yesterday was not his best but the whole team looked leggy to me, so why single out the youngest and least experienced player on the pitch? Perhaps the fact that he's a proper unit means that some forget he's just a nipper still learning his trade? I'd also venture that the Bristol FB was pretty canny and had a very good game as much as Festy might not have.

Agree to an extent mate I just think he’s not the best on wing. Under 23s is as they say a whole lower level where it’s such a major step up. In the games I’ve seen him which is most this season I’ve seen him rip past the full back on toast then not do it again all game. Once he starts mixing his game up which hopefully he will learn as like you say he’s still only 19. I just find him very predictable and 9 times out of 10 you know what he’s going to do. I just really like him at right back tbh and I don’t think he’s end product decision making should be used on the wing. 

On 05/12/2021 at 08:42, Ravabeerbelly said:

In the vain hope of catching you out, and making you look like a complete imbecile, I just Googled the width of goalposts.  

...8yards!... Bang on, sir!  Have a like, for some excellent maths!  ??

• 4 weeks later...