Bristol City (A) Matchday Thread

roboto

Not fully sure what the protocol is, but noticed no one else started a new matchday thread after the QPR loss. So I thought I'd start my first one and see if I can be a lucky charm.

I hope I can go on a long run creating these threads, starting with a trip down to Bristol to play the City's second team.

3pm on Saturday (a kick off time that should please all the ones who moan about matches getting moved for the telly).

Will Lawrence continue his fine form? Will that guy who knows more about Derby's accounting policy than anyone else in the entire world be fizzing by full time? Will we still be in with a shout of survival at 5pm on Saturday?

COYR.

St Patricks Day Food GIF by Lucky Charms

Marshall

Byrne Jagielka Davies Williams 

Shinnie Bird Thompson

Ebosele.  Lawrence. Knight

I'm well aware Marshall won't play but I physically cannot take much more of Kelle Roos.

Forsyth. Not going to be too critical. Great servant, given us everything. I just think his legs have gone. Struggles massively. Nothing to lose with giving Williams a run.

I think I want us to beat these more than I would if we were playing Notts. Nah, not quite but they’re not far behind. If it wasn’t for the points deduction, we’d only be a point behind them so I reckon they’re beatable but I suppose it’ll be a draw. 

Hope our old boys don’t spoil the day. ?

Roos

Byrne  Davies  Jags  Williams

Thomson  Bird  Knight

Ebosele                Lawrence

CKR

Harsh on Shinnie as I’m a big fan of his but I feel we need a focal point in attack, forward drive from the midfield  and Ebosele if fit enough needs to start. I’d like to see us go at them from the start, actually try to build a 2 or 3 goal lead then bring on Shinnie, Ravel, Fozzy to see the game out. Yes I’m a fantasist ? 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos

Jagielka   Davies

Festy   Tommo   Bird   Shinnie   Williams

Knight      Lawrence

Kazim

Subs: Allsop, Byrne, Stearman, Forsyth, Ravel, Jozwiak, Sibley

Saved me a post with that line up. I'd probably find a way to put Watson on the bench over one of the defenders though. 

I think the QPR game highlighted some faults with certain personnel in the system and some of the problem areas. Namely (and not for the first time) play just breaks down too readily on our left hand side especially with Fozzy playing and he just hasn't got the pace anymore to recover from those very high positions. Williams will help massively by just being someone who can retain possession as well as giving us more pace down that side. On the right side Byrne had an ok game but Festy is far better suited for the role in the tactics we deploy, he's faster, he's better on the ball and he carries the genuine threat we need from the wing/fullbacks in this system; especially with Knight in front of him. I think I agree about Kazim up front too, part of me would be tempted to play Lawrence up there but I think we need that option of someone who the ball is going to stick to and I think we need that option to go long right now. If it's going long is far better going long centrally right now so the likes of Shinnie, Thompson, Knight and Lawrence can all attempt to get on that second ball. 

1 hour ago, roboto said:

Not fully sure what the protocol is, but noticed no one else started a new matchday thread after the QPR loss. So I thought I'd start my first one and see if I can be a lucky charm.

I hope I can go on a long run creating these threads, starting with a trip down to Bristol to play the City's second team.

3pm on Saturday (a kick off time that should please all the ones who moan about matches getting moved for the telly).

Will Lawrence continue his fine form? Will that guy who knows more about Derby's accounting policy than anyone else in the entire world be fizzing by full time? Will we still be in with a shout of survival at 5pm on Saturday?

COYR.

St Patricks Day Food GIF by Lucky Charms

The only protocol is that you stay on until you lose, after that it's first to get there.

I hope you're here for a long long time.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Marshall

Byrne Jagielka Davies Williams 

Shinnie Bird Thompson

Ebosele.  Lawrence. Knight

I'm well aware Marshall won't play but I physically cannot take much more of Kelle Roos.

Forsyth. Not going to be too critical. Great servant, given us everything. I just think his legs have gone. Struggles massively. Nothing to lose with giving Williams a run.

Agree with your team other than Marshall ?

I'm sure Bristol Rovers superfan Mr Popodulas off the OTIB rovers forum will be willing us on to win this one.

He seems to post such knowledge and reasonable comments about us.

I hope that rash has gone away if you're reading Mr Pop.

In other news, what a wrong job at the wrong time Pearson was with us. He's still mad as a box of frogs I presume?

Anyway, is Wayne taking his drone down to fly it at Pearson in an act of inflammatory hostility pre match?

22 minutes ago, StevenageRam said:

Going to this and it will be my first time to Ashton Gate. Where is the best place to go for a pre match pint?

The bedminster cricket club.

Park on their field for a fiver (I think) club bar open to all, friendly place, 10 min walk to the ground. Everyone calls everyone "love" in Bristol.

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Saved me a post with that line up. I'd probably find a way to put Watson on the bench over one of the defenders though. 

I think the QPR game highlighted some faults with certain personnel in the system and some of the problem areas. Namely (and not for the first time) play just breaks down too readily on our left hand side especially with Fozzy playing and he just hasn't got the pace anymore to recover from those very high positions. Williams will help massively by just being someone who can retain possession as well as giving us more pace down that side. On the right side Byrne had an ok game but Festy is far better suited for the role in the tactics we deploy, he's faster, he's better on the ball and he carries the genuine threat we need from the wing/fullbacks in this system; especially with Knight in front of him. I think I agree about Kazim up front too, part of me would be tempted to play Lawrence up there but I think we need that option of someone who the ball is going to stick to and I think we need that option to go long right now. If it's going long is far better going long centrally right now so the likes of Shinnie, Thompson, Knight and Lawrence can all attempt to get on that second ball. 

Agree with most of that. I would definitely have Williams & Ebosele in from the start - Williams' athleticism likely to suit us more than Forsyth & his passing couldn't hardly be worse. Like you say, Byrne hasn't done anything wrong but Festy is just more dynamic. Also agree with Kazim up top as an 'out ball' with Knight & Lawrence staying close when delivery comes into him.

Where I differ is in formation - Bristol City tend to play a 3-5-2 so to have two centre halves matched up against two front men (Martin & Weimann generally) leaves us exposed if we want Williams & Festy to play high up the pitch. Therefore I would go to 3 centre halves to give us insurance with Stearman getting the nod after some impressive sub cameos.

Elsewhere I'd bring in Allsop for Roos. Clearly both have made errors but Roos is looking particularly jittery at the minute & Allsop did look good in the October league matches until that rush of blood late v Luton

image.png.86c0fd6c8f03c830a1f1fb009e35b6c1.png

Brizzle fans don't appear to be looking forward to this. They are pretty despondent with how the team are playing and seem to be losing faith in Pearson. I think therefore the game is there for the taking IF we attack them from the off and manage to get our noses in front. My proviso is whether morale has taken another knock this week and whether Rooney and Co can get them on the front foot and believing again. If they can, I fancy us to to get the 3 points, but it's a place where we've come a cropper in the past so I'm not making a formal prediction.