Rams vs Preston (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Played ok by the sounds of it .  Only radio today as working. Curtis Davies sounds like our best attacking option.  Sounds like Morrison was pretty anonymous again and needs a rocket up his arse ?  Not sure this squad will be happy or able to carry him. 

That just shows what a complete moron Dawes is. 
Morrisson was arguably the best player on the pitch today, a rolls Royce of a player…but because he isn’t scoring 35 yard screamers or running around diving into meaningless tackles then Dawes slags him off. 

31 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Morrisson was arguably the best player on the pitch today, a rolls Royce of a player…but because he isn’t scoring 35 yard screamers or running around diving into meaningless tackles then Dawes slags him off. 

I’m not sure I’d give our ACM best player when he neither created nor scored (one shot from memory straight at GK) but our two centre backs were yet again immense and dealt with just about everything.

Edited by rammieib

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Listening to Rooney he said the referee was awful. I did think he thinks it’s because of all this fair play stuff. I reckon he might be in a bit of trouble.

Think it might be a tactic straight out of Sir Alex’s book of dark arts. He will take a punishment but puts a bit of pressure on the refs for future close decisions, makes the fans put more pressure on and hopefully gets to have a meeting with the refereeing body.

Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure, but especially in our current predicament then I’m all for it to be honest.

Sibley struggled against the big central defender. A bit of a tall order really for him. Lawrence should have been the centre forward, maybe he lacks the aerial ability but he has the right instinct. Such a shame we didn't capitalise on the first half possession. We looked a cut above. Great day out though, especially for £5 entrance. I actually expected a bigger crowd. 

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Why 

All he is doing is telling the truth and having guts to take them on.

The truth? They can’t handle the truth. How dare Wayne Rooney question the person they appointed to officiate the game. He must agree with them and if he doesn’t he should keep it to himself.

In fairness it’s about time someone said something because it’s becoming obvious any 70/30 decision is going against us.

Onwards and upwards I say Luton prepare to get thrashed.

At the start of the season, and especially after how we trailed out of the previous one, we were expecting an absolutely gruelling few months giving our all while watching a bunch of players barely able to string two passes together. The reality is the we are good to watch. I don't know what Wayne Rooney has done, but he has got the team playing some lovely, quick-passing, with great interplay, and players changing roles and places. The improvement is remarkable. We certainly don't look like a bottom of the table team.

As ever we struggled to turn our play into goals, but we ended up with a lorry load of shots, with 5 (although I thought more than that) on target. YEs, some were from long range, but not so long ago the players were trying to walk the ball over the line at every opportunity. We are creating chances and are not afraid to shoot. 3 great saves by the keeper, another one by the crossbar  and another disgraceful penalty ignored. Incidentally Ebosele's penalty shout had some meat to it, because as he was battling his way into the area, the defender had hooked his arm around Ebosele's to the point of it being inter-twined, which is clear evidence that the defender was fouling him.

I actually thought the ref was reasonably ok early on, bar his having lost his yellow card. Preston were able to break up a high proportion of our attacking breaks with cynical fouls, and there should have been at least 3 or 4 more cards shown. At least Derby didn't get the most yellow cards this time, so no doubt the ref is in for a bollocking tonight!

Preston upped their game for the second half and tightened up in their challenges, so the high pressing actually began to hold us up. They also stepped forwards a coupe of yards and it changed the game. We still created far more threat than they did until the last 10 or 15 minutes. I am right proud of what the players achieved today.

Once again I don't think I can single anyone out who had a poor game, with only Sibley not having the effect everyone wants him to have. But as ever he virtually never, ever gets played in his best, most natural position. He should be played in the number 10 role, either playing off the main striker (a bit hard, we haven't had one for a while), or playing in the hole behind a front two. He is instead tuck out on the wing, where he can produce the goods on occasion, but today he had no chance. He is not a lone striker. Tom can play that role better, so why not put him there, and Sibbers in Tom's place? One day he will end up going elsewhere, get played to his strengths and end up bagging a load of goals. We did it with Weimmann, who plays off a target man. We stuck him out on the wing, or as lone striker, or as bench warmer and he hardly scored for us, but he moved to Bristol and started cracking them in.

Jagielka and Davies were excellent yet again. I am assuming Jagielka's presence has been key, because we now have Davies looking like a player who can cope with the ball at his feet, where as last season he looked like he might trip over it when it got to his feet! And the improvement in Shinnie this season is really good. His reading of the game, and his ability to spot and make a pass were all questionable but he is now looking a complete footballer. And one attacking move he was involved in down the left wing had him playing a one-two the swerving and drifting past a coupe of defenders before getting into the box and crossing the ball. Brilliant!

It was a match we could easily have lost last season, but we stood up to a lot of rough stuff and outplayed Preston until right near the end of the match. We are going through one heck of a transformation. and are not being bullied off the ball anywhere near as much as we were, and we are tough enough to be able to stick to our game plan. 

We can't score for toffee, we seem to have the entire football establishment against us, and yet I am really excited about our future. It won't take much for us to start finding the net and then away we'll go. 

Se you on Tuesday!

Edited by DavesaRam

1 hour ago, Ramifications said:

Sibley struggled against the big central defender. A bit of a tall order really for him. Lawrence should have been the centre forward, maybe he lacks the aerial ability but he has the right instinct. Such a shame we didn't capitalise on the first half possession. We looked a cut above. Great day out though, especially for £5 entrance. I actually expected a bigger crowd. 

Sibley has generally been at his biggest threat when chris Martin was laying the ball of to him - he just needs a similar forward to make some space for him.

4 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

We know that BBC reporting standards have plummeted in recent years but for Clem in Final Score to refer to Trevor Hemings as Eddie Hemings, not once but twice was quite appalling.

From bbc comments.

According to Ed Dawes, Trevor Hemmings made his money from horse racing, and trained 3 Grand National winner's.

15 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You saw a different game to me.

Shinnie was my man of the match by a country mile.

I was hoping it would be Morrison subbed instead of Sibley when CKR came on because he was strolling around and looking tired from about the hour mark.

Unfortunately once again we just can’t stick the ball in the net, the defence has been brilliant all season as was again yesterday…

Stand out players probably Shinnie and Ebesole also thought Morrison was very good. I fancied us to win this until the sad passing of Trevor Hemings when I thought Preston would be right up for it but they just didn’t turn up looked a poor side! 

Normally you’d never say no to a point away from home but in the position we are in we have to winning those games if we are to stay up. Can’t fault the players though they give everything after 70 minutes they looked tired which is no surprise.. 

Havent seen a replay of the handball from where I was standing looked blatant but once again no surprise it wasn’t given our way as they haven’t all season! 

Onto Luton ?

was at the game Saturday , we dominated three quarters of it , a draw was slightly disappointing but we inch closer to the teams just above us , Davies , Shinnie and Bird played very well and Ravel worked very hard before tiring , great to see Kaz back , Luton will be tough on Tuesday , but im sure our lads will give it their all as usual  COYR