Mel Morris fan club

Spanish

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

• He did it for what he believed was the good of Derby County, not for personal gain

I've always been a great believer of that too... until this past week.

If rumours regarding his personal wealth are true (?‍♂️), and I am remotely correct with my maths, I make that 10% of said personal wealth would have pretty much settled all rumoured DCFC debts, as of last week.  Give or take?

Could he not have done that, before walking away and perhaps even selling for £1... the latter being something he once famously said he'd be prepared to do "For the good of the club".

I'd have gladly "donated" 10% of my own personal savings last Friday morning, if someone could have guaranteed them freeing Derby County FC of all their debts.
Maybe not now, but last Friday, I would have!   

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Just been re-reading this topic and I'm just astonished there are those still willing to either defend the bloke or offer up apologetics for him. All of the 'achievements' come to naught if there isn't a club at the end of it and that's exactly what could happen.  As a best case scenario he's loaded up the club with a mountain of debt that cannot be maintained, pretty much guaranteed our relegation to the third tier for only the third time in our history and has arguably irreparably damaged our reputation in the footballing community.

Mel was a custodian of the club and absolutely nothing more, his job was to ensure the survival, maintenance, and prosperity of the club and in that he's absolutely 100% failed. Instead of acting as a custodian, he increasingly acted like the club was his train set with lavish unsustainable spending and big name appointments. None of us knew the true financial state of the club only he and Mr Pearce did it seems, and an owners job is to know when to put the brakes on and when not to. The last thing an owner should do is gamble the future of an institution on the hope you'll get promotion- it's exactly that type of thinking that Risdale had with Leeds that all but bankrupted them in the end. 

I won't even mention the completely disgraceful behaviour by Mel towards the staff and fans keeping us all in the dark during this period and his decision to pull the plug. I somehow doubt he'll end up selling his house or is wandering the street with a tin cup in the near future. 

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

The reality of the situation is that Mel still owns the stadium and the club owes him a lot of money, which according to the Administrator's press conference, he's not asking for back.

See https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-administration-mel-morris-5958185

Like it or not, it's important that some level of goodwill is maintained on all sides. If you think I'm making excuses for Mel just look at my previous posts. I'm not, but all that matters now is the survival of the club, unless you want to be watching AFC Derby vs Heanor Town next season.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

As Wayne himself has said, we need to move on from Mel. Technically Mel is history. We need to stay in the present and look to tomorrow. 

Yes!! 

I think getting involved in any sort of grudge match is such a waste of energy and had a chance to lead to somebody taking it too far. 

Remember the war Blackpool found themselves in with Oystons 

Frankly, Mr. Morris, this position you've held
It pays your way, but it corrodes my soul

I want you to leave, you will not miss me
You want to go down in Derby infamy

Frankly, Mr. Morris, we're a sickening wreck
We've got the twenty-one points breathing down our necks
We must move fast, you understand me
We going down in footballing history, Mr. Morris

Fame, fame, fatal fame
It can play hideous tricks on your brain
But still you'd rather be famous
Than righteous or holy, any day, any day, Derby way

But sometimes you'd feel more fulfilled
Writing Christmas cards with the jobless and ill
I want to live and I want to love
I want you to catch something that you might be ashamed of

Frankly, Mr. Morris, this position you've held
It pays your way, but it corrodes my soul

Oh, I didn't realise that you hate Derby
I didn't realise you were such bloody awful baby, Mr. Morris

Frankly, Mr. Morris, since you ask
You are a flatulent pain in the arse
I do not mean to be so rude
Still, I must speak frankly, Mr. Morris

Oh, give us your money!

I have defended Mel Morris simply on the grounds that 95% of what has been going on has been hidden from us as fans.

It’s super easy to criticise people when you don’t have all the facts to hand.

I thought a personal investment of £200 million to try and get us back in the top flight deserved a bit of leeway.

I also found people doubting his fandom a bit pathetic to be honest.

He’s run this club poorly, but spending big bucks on players, offering high wages and moving on from managers who have big contracts is not the sign on a man who doesn’t desperately want success for his club.

For those of you who remember Maxwell, that was far worse in certain respects because he didn’t give a rats ass about Derby. Tthough time softens the memory and we always think the problems we’re experiencing now have never been so bad.

Nobody gets caught in a violent thunderstorm and goes home saying, that was the 7th worst thunderstorm I’ve ever experienced, it’s always the worst.

So I was prepared to sit on my hands and wait.

But his treatment of Rooney and the fact he never told him about administration means my fence-sitting days are over because that was despicable and I’m happy he’s effectively gone.

Having said that, I really hope Derby fans don’t hate on the guy. No matter how badly he’s handled this, I have no doubt his intentions were good for the club and the city. He was just not very good at running a football club and then couldn’t manage failure.

I’m not worried about going down and I hope if/when we do Rooney stays and we build some stability around a good crop of youngsters. And obviously, we take the red dogs with us.

As has been said before, to those of you not old enough to remember, we had a LOT of fun in the old third division days under Arfa.

Wolves went through administration and have done ok and Leicester seemed to have struggled on.

It seems all doom and gloom, but this will build a siege mentality with the club and us fans and we could end up thinking it was a good thing to start afresh.

On 23/09/2021 at 08:12, BaaLocks said:

Three things you can say positive about Mel:

• He put more money into this football club than I would be prepared to
  • He did it for what he believed was the good of Derby County, not for personal gain
  • The ride was fun at times

Does not excuse the absolute clown car of club he has made us, the shambolic decision making and the rest but we are apparently in this thread to say the good things, and they are those.

Naive to not recognise the gain to him in terms of being chairman /owner  - rise in personal prestige, mixing with celebrities. His motivation was not financial gain. Believing one is doing the right thing for the club is not sufficient - Hitler presumably believed what he was doing was good for Germany!  Right to the end he has looked after his own interest, making bad decisions that have made our situation worse.

I’m trying to be fair handed with Mel. Yes he put a shedload of cash in, yes he’s a Derby boy and I very much doubt he ever wanted to end it like this but he also knew where he was financially and in respect of the rules in place. So im struggling and more so with the various bits of new news coming out. 
I listened to this pod last night and ok it was a sting but it’s a factual insight into his ways of working and being generous in interpretation of the rules. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-men-who-sell-football-part-1/id1488977521?i=1000531469620