Mel Morris fan club

Spanish

Just been re-reading this topic and I'm just astonished there are those still willing to either defend the bloke or offer up apologetics for him. All of the 'achievements' come to naught if there isn't a club at the end of it and that's exactly what could happen.  As a best case scenario he's loaded up the club with a mountain of debt that cannot be maintained, pretty much guaranteed our relegation to the third tier for only the third time in our history and has arguably irreparably damaged our reputation in the footballing community.

Mel was a custodian of the club and absolutely nothing more, his job was to ensure the survival, maintenance, and prosperity of the club and in that he's absolutely 100% failed. Instead of acting as a custodian, he increasingly acted like the club was his train set with lavish unsustainable spending and big name appointments. None of us knew the true financial state of the club only he and Mr Pearce did it seems, and an owners job is to know when to put the brakes on and when not to. The last thing an owner should do is gamble the future of an institution on the hope you'll get promotion- it's exactly that type of thinking that Risdale had with Leeds that all but bankrupted them in the end. 

I won't even mention the completely disgraceful behaviour by Mel towards the staff and fans keeping us all in the dark during this period and his decision to pull the plug. I somehow doubt he'll end up selling his house or is wandering the street with a tin cup in the near future. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

1 hour ago, Archie said:

but severely question 2. No chance for me. I think it's always been about him and making a fast buck - a quick promotion to the prem and then sell for double the price. His decisions over the last 6 years suggest he has never had the good of the club in mind. Just my opinion.

This

He wanted out some 3 years ago, Harry Rednapp coerced/convinced him to employ our Frank, Things have quickly gone south since, Stuart Webb was quoted in a thread on here, MM knows F-All about running a football club.

19 minutes ago, Ramifications said:

Do you think we would have still gone into administration on Friday had we been top of the league? 

To quote a a man who I would like to forget the name of, 'that's a great question'. 

Makes me shudder that phrase does now. 

Also, he/we lost 20 million in revenues during Covid. Doesn’t even cover the tax bill, nevermind the rest of the debts. Covid brought the decision further forwards by 12 or 18 months. We still wouldnt have had a buyer and we would still  have been in this mess. 

Edited by Norman

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

To quote a a man who I would like to forget the name of, 'that's a great question'. 

Makes me shudder that phrase does now. 

Also, he/we lost 20 million in revenues during Covid. Doesn’t even cover the tax bill, nevermind the rest of the debts. Covid brought the decision further forwards by 12 or 18 months. We still wouldnt have had a buyer and we'd still would have been in this mess. 

He must be skint or soon to be skint (and not admitting it for business or personal reasons), or just he doesn't care enough about DCFC compared to his own financial position. No true Derby fan would risk the life of the club unless forced to by something else.

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

50 - 70 million in debt estimated, no wonder, morris bailed out.

The club doesn't own the training ground or stadium, I don't like Mel Morris!

The statement from the club mentioned ironically how the club has a bright financial future or something...well, pay your debts and sort the club out before selling it then Mel.

Unless the club is sold for a very low amount, who would buy the club with that debt, no stadium, no training ground.

If you sold 4 of the best players left at the club and received 30 million, that would only partially cover the debt and would in any case destroy the club.

Is if time to sue Mel Morris.

29 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

He must be skint or soon to be skint (and not admitting it for business or personal reasons), or just he doesn't care enough about DCFC compared to his own financial position. No true Derby fan would risk the life of the club unless forced to by something else.

I reckon he would.  He has a heart of stone.  Obnoxious man in my opinion

Edited by oldtimeram

Listening to the Administrators it did occur to me that Mel might not  have been talking out of his arse on radio Derby after all.  He said something to the effect that buyers were just sitting back and waiting and he felt that putting us into administration was the only way to get them to put up or shut up.  From the press conference with the Administrators today it does seem like he might have been right.  They were talking very positively about how a lot of interested parties, who had already carried out due diligence were now actively looking to buy us.

I wish people would stop assuming that Mel could have paid off the debts before walking away.

No he couldn't. That's what's got us into this problem in the first place - with him trying to use every trick in the book (and a few new ones) to try and put more money in than is allowed under FFP/P&S rules.

1 hour ago, Truckle said:

Listening to the Administrators it did occur to me that Mel might not  have been talking out of his arse on radio Derby after all.  He said something to the effect that buyers were just sitting back and waiting and he felt that putting us into administration was the only way to get them to put up or shut up.  From the press conference with the Administrators today it does seem like he might have been right.  They were talking very positively about how a lot of interested parties, who had already carried out due diligence were now actively looking to buy us.

Or he was asking too much money to start with and that was putting buyers off.

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Ed Dawes just revealed that "off the record, well not off the record, off interview..." (oops, Ed!) that Rooney told him he'd not spoken to Mel Morris in six months.

Rooney just confirmed this in his pre-match conference. 

12 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Or he was asking too much money to start with and that was putting buyers off.

My thought exactly. Mel probably wanted £60 million for the club plus the new owner take on all the debt. Mel probably wanted them to buy the stadium off him as well meaning potentially forking out almost £200 million before a squad rebuild.

I can imagined most interested parties said no chance.

Now they have the chance of getting the club for the token £1. They then take on the debt and clear it.

44 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Ed Dawes revealing Morris hasn't spoken to Rooney for 6 months.

Coward !!

The more I hear about this man it gets worse.

Hang your head in shame you despicable man Morris.  You are a disgrace and I agree with the above comment ... You are a coward

Edited by oldtimeram