Mel Morris fan club

Spanish

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Based on having to restate the accounts to correct something that we were found not guilty of by an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

If your contention is Mel Morris' actions amount to anything other than trying to cheat the system, then I'm sorry we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Seems clear enough to me he rolled the dice on cheating our way to promotion (as the likes of Leicester and Bournemouth did successfully) but failed.

4 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

If your contention is Mel Morris' actions amount to anything other than trying to cheat the system, then I'm sorry we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It seems to me he saw a gray area and went for it big, the fact it took an appeal to ask us to restate shows it's not clear cut. You are right he would be hoping a promotion would sweep this all under the carpet. Cheating is a very emotive word, I really think he thought he had found a gap in the laws he could use, with the stadium he was right. With the ammortisation he was nearly right.

The unforgivable aspect to this is him taking his bat home and stopping funding the club a couple (?) of years ago, and running up huge debts. He may be right about the EFL charges scaring off takeovers, but if we had not been charged and still had no takeover we would be in a similar position to what we are now, in the crap.

Initially when the 'intention to file for administration' was announced...there was some complicated chat/forlorn hope that it all seemed weird, there was some financial angle, Mel was a lifelong fan and was grandstanding to throw the EFL off the scent whilst he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. 

Is there any hope left he isn't just right royally shafting us and leaving the club neck-high in the you-know-what?

12 points deducted. Seemingly admitting there's more to come because of the accounts, huge debts piled up owed to every man and his dog, a threadbare squad with precious room to manoeuvre, we don't own the ground, so many points to be deducted they could be held back and passed over to next season and relegate us again orrr we could just be in such a mess financially we go totally out of business. 

Yet he said hopefully now he has gone he sees the chance for things to turn for the better...

What am I missing??

Edited by Chester40

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Initially when the 'intention to file for administration' was announced...there was some complicated chat/forlorn hope that it all seemed weird, there was some financial angle, Mel was a lifelong fan and was grandstanding to throw the EFL off the scent whilst he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. 

Is there any hope left he isn't just right royally shafting us and leaving the club neck-high in the you-know-what?

12 points deducted. Seemingly admitting there's more to come because of the accounts, huge debts piled up owed to every man and his dog, a threadbare squad with precious room to manoeuvre, we don't own the ground, so many points to be deducted they could be held back and passed over to next season and relegate us again orrr we could just be in such a mess financially we go totally out of business. 

Yet he said hopefully now he has gone he sees the chance for things to turn for the better...

What am I missing??

That I read quite a few people on Facebook etc saying "don't worry Mel has probably left enough cash in the club to get us to Christmas.....he is a fan" ??

I'm amazed after all that's happened that anyone could still live in hope of any positive action from Mel now.

22 minutes ago, SaffyRam said:

I’d also love to know his thinking behind announcing administration the evening before a match ?
Worst possible timing.

A podcast said it was leaked on twitter/LinkedIn on the day so the club rushed out a statement. First few mins of this. Worth listening to if you haven't done so. 

https://t.co/v14EexjabF

20 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Mostly, over the last few seasons Derby have competed at the top of the Championship consistently, which is an incredibly tough thing to do. We have been in the playoffs more than any other team. But for a few sliding doors moments, we would have been in the Premier League. 

Mel has also created a Premier League class academy. We should have won the FA Youth Cup but we did win the English youth league and made impressive progress in the Champions League equivalent.

Football is broken and the rules are written so that you're not allowed to spend money to buy success nowadays, but fans want success so on the whole they're OK with an owner who tries to find a way around the rules to reach the promised land of the Premier League. Almost every Championship club that gets there has had to break the rules to do so, but because they have escaped EFL jurisdiction in the process, they can get away with it. 

Something went wrong. Maybe it's simply funding too many campaigns to reaching the playoffs, but not getting over the line, and the EFL then catches up with you? Or maybe it's Mel's health and he has been forced to prioritize that and his family above the club? Or maybe it's something else again? It's very hard to understand from the outside looking in, and I think we're currently in the middle of the storm, but I won't judge Mel until the situation has become clearer, which might not be for quite a long time yet. 

How can it become any clearer? We have been put into administration and Mel has walked away.His choice. PS ,I don’t blame him for saving his family fortune .

Three things you can say positive about Mel:

• He put more money into this football club than I would be prepared to
  • He did it for what he believed was the good of Derby County, not for personal gain
  • The ride was fun at times

Does not excuse the absolute clown car of club he has made us, the shambolic decision making and the rest but we are apparently in this thread to say the good things, and they are those.

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Three things you can say positive about Mel:

• He put more money into this football club than I would be prepared to
  • He did it for what he believed was the good of Derby County, not for personal gain
  • The ride was fun at times

Does not excuse the absolute clown car of club he has made us, the shambolic decision making and the rest but we are apparently in this thread to say the good things, and they are those.

I would agree with points 1 and 3 but severely question 2. No chance for me. I think it's always been about him and making a fast buck - a quick promotion to the prem and then sell for double the price. His decisions over the last 6 years suggest he has never had the good of the club in mind. Just my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

I would agree with points 1 and 3 but severely question 2. No chance for me. I think it's always been about him and making a fast buck - a quick promotion to the prem and then sell for double the price. His decisions over the last 6 years suggest he has never had the good of the club in mind. Just my opinion.

Oh I don't doubt the intent was to sell the club on for profit at some point, indeed I seem to remember he was always open on this point. But I don't think he was here to bum rape like Karl Oyston at Blackpool and was nowhere near the chancers that the 3WM were. Look, it went wrong, gloriously, and it's on him - fair and square but I'm prepared to concede it went wrong because he screwed up rather than this was all part of the master plan.

56 minutes ago, Archie said:

A podcast said it was leaked on twitter/LinkedIn on the day so the club rushed out a statement. First few mins of this. Worth listening to if you haven't done so. 

https://t.co/v14EexjabF

Yea someone shared the twitter post 

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Based on having to restate the accounts to correct something that we were found not guilty of by an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

I agree with you here. People seem to be conflating the administration being linked to the alleged rule breaking. Almost as if the administration proves that we've been breaking the rules. 

At this moment in time, it still seems like the argument related to the accounting of amortisation still hasn't come to a resolution. 

If the administrators can somehow prevent further rule breaches and can successfuly argue that mels approach is legal then is it 16pts the maximum deduction?

Probably enough to relegate us still but still something to play for?