Birmingham City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

Tombo

25 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes remember that when the ball was running out towards the corner flag. 

Think the most disappointing aspect for me was that our players didn't wise up at all to the fact that the ref was going to be lenient with stuff, as another poster said even the Sky commentators recognised that so why didn't our players.

Our lack of discipline was the biggest difference between the two teams, our captain rather than trying to set an example to the rest of his team seemed intent on getting embroiled in petty disputes and revenge fouling all game.

There is a big difference between being lenient when it is borderline or a 50/50 ball and totally ignoring blatant fouls and late challenges. 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Well put, in addition to that, how many potential attacks of ours were broken up by niggly cynical fouls near the half way line?

Also, how many times did I hear the commentator say after a challenge on one of our players, 'that would have been a foul last season'?

That latter point was very significant. Maybe our coaches need to take note. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I would far rather see Derby attempt to play football and fail than play Rowettball.

I'd rather stay up.  Take 7 yellow cards a game and play like thugs for a year if it keeps us up and in existence.  When Rowett took over at Birmingham they were rock bottom and had just shipped 8 goals against Bournemouth. They finished 7th that year I think.  I'd take him back tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

The shoulder barge on Byrne was ridiculous. Fine to give someone a bump if it's in the act of taking the ball but when you're nowhere near the ball it's just a foul. 

Would have been in a dangerous position too. 

I agree. A shoulder barge is shoulder to shoulder - his shoulder was into Byrne's back.

9 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yes, the ref was inconsistent in his interpretation. Some of the fouls we didn't get were fouls even under the current guidance. 

Plus he obviously decided to make up for errors with the 'arm around lawrence' approach rather than a sending off/2 booking for his petulance, plus Morrisons handball/foul.

I am enjoying the majority of the football we are playing. I like the way we are playing out from the back. The movement is generally good. We clearly have an obvious problem up front which is going to stay with us until at least the new year. 
The first Birmingham goal was nothing to do with pressure, just a sloppy pass back by a young player. The second could have been avoided if our overrated and unreliable right back had bothered to track their player back when he picked up an unfortunate ricochet. 

Not surprised on here by some of the usual suspects who only pop up after a loss asking for a Neanderthal approach to football. 

I enjoy the way we are trying to play, just need to cut out some of the schoolboy errors..but we are competing well and trying to play to our own style rather than just trying to counter the other teams style.

It's obvious to all we are short of attacking options but we can't do anything about that from a transfer perspective until January unless the embargo is lifted sooner.

Considering what we are up against and the wafer thin nature of our squad we are doing OK. 

4 minutes ago, MickD said:

Chelsea 2 Villa 0  England defender Mings does a Buchanan back-pass.  Not just the youngsters then.

Yep, And earlier in the game Saul is robbed of the ball while playing from the back, Watkins rounds the keeper only for Thiago to block the shot.

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Yep, And earlier in the game Saul is robbed of the ball while playing from the back, Watkins rounds the keeper only for Thiago to block the shot.

Impossible. Those things only happen to Derby players apparently. 

The general feeling from  down the road in Birmingham is that we played into their hands by constantly knocking it round at the back, it was obvious a mile off that they were leaving Jutkievic pressing and they can't believe we didn't change how we were playing. Also playing this way with a goalie who has appalling distribution and has panic written all over him, basically gave them an easy ride. 

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The general feeling from  down the road in Birmingham is that we played into their hands by constantly knocking it round at the back, it was obvious a mile off that they were leaving Jutkievic pressing and they can't believe we didn't change how we were playing. Also playing this way with a goalie who has appalling distribution and has panic written all over him, basically gave them an easy ride. 

Not just me then

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Who takes responsibility then?

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who takes responsibility then?

The manager and his team for being unadaptable depending on opposition and picking a player who appears totally self absorbed as captain.  Also, the senior players who need to start stamping their authority on the pitch if their not getting any change of direction during games, regardless.