v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

Have to say I had my head in my hands for the first 20 - reminiscent of the Chorley game where our youngsters were simply out muscled. Rabbits in headlights sprung to mind.   But then I feel they gave themselves a slap and dug right in.  We clearly have some young talent at this club and that talent showed. 

Festy was brilliant going forward and was the spark we needed to get going.  Yes he has much to learn, and you could see Fozzy talking to him, but he has the potential to set this league alight.  Destined for right MF?

I thought Brown did really well - under the radar maybe, but did everything needed without fuss. Lots of guts to volunteer for a penalty at the end. 

Louie Watson grew into the game and was all over the place - looking for the ball every time.  A confident lad, shown when, like Brown he stood up for a pen.

Sibley improved but took a while to get into the game I thought. Unlucky not to score.

Stretton worked his socks off and really should have rewarded his effort with a goal. 

Morrison looked frustrated at times when getting himself into some good positions only to not get the ball.  Clearly wanted to make an impact hence why he dropped so deep to get the ball.  I thought his movement was great, showing so really good touches. His half-volley goal was class. He could turn out to be just what we need - he seemed genuinely happy to get his goal. 

Yes we remain extremely thin on the ground, but IF we can keep injuries to a minimum then I don't think we'll be looking over our shoulder at the bottom 3.  There's some great talent in this team, if not experience and that will grow with each game.  It may only have been Salford, but they're a team on the up, full of confidence and favourites to win the league.  It was a great, confidence building game for our youngsters and Rooney was spot on when he said they'd left the pitch as men.  Roll on Saturday. 

43 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

But aren't the likes of Watson and Hutchinson being included with the aim of raising the skill level in what otherwise has been quite a sterile midfield?

are you not worried about whether bringing them in too soon will ultimately damage their development?

11 minutes ago, Spanish said:

are you not worried about whether bringing them in too soon will ultimately damage their development?

Not worried about Watson one little bit .. He’s there already. 2 preseason games I saw plus Saturday and last night. 
Full package .. 4 strong performances. If there good enough, they’re old enough. Watson is !

Hutch .. no sure yet, but he’s brave, got a shot on him, plays it simple. .. maybe not a stater but can earn a place on the bench and hopefully will learn as he plays 

I really enjoyed the game and it was great to see youngsters having a go which also Spurs on the older pros. Obviously we were going to get done at set pieces because we were tiny apart from Forsyth with real experience. Set pieces will be a problem all season which is why we need the likes of Davies stearman and Jagielka hopefully. All the young lads showed promise of a lot more to come.

sad part is that the vultures will be circling for some of them 

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Not at all. My worry is that we bring in too many too soon just because we don't currently have sufficient quality in the experienced ranks. We need another CB and striker to give support to these young players.

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Have to disagree with this. If you put your best penalty takers first it puts pressure on the opponents and takes pressure off your teammates. If you miss your first three penalties, in all likelihood numbers four and five won't even get to take theirs. Just look at Luton last night - that's exactly what happened to them.

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

jeez I make a general comment about the care of the future players and get jumped on

I don't think anyone has jumped on you at all.

It's understandable to have some concerns about the development of our young players but it's also perfectly acceptable for posters on a forum to have different views on how best to nurture their talents for the benefit of the Club - after all, that's the sole reason for having invested so much money into the academy.

36 minutes ago, Spanish said:

jeez I make a general comment about the care of the future players and get jumped on

I don’t think you made a general comment .. you asked a reasonable question and got some reasoned responses. Don’t think anyone jumped on you, they just answered your question from their POV 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Not worried about Watson one little bit .. He’s there already. 2 preseason games I saw plus Saturday and last night. 
Full package .. 4 strong performances. If there good enough, they’re old enough. Watson is !

Hutch .. no sure yet, but he’s brave, got a shot on him, plays it simple. .. maybe not a stater but can earn a place on the bench and hopefully will learn as he plays 

From what I saw last night he was good but thought he was close to anonymous against Huddersfield really. 

14 hours ago, Ram Bam said:

Shows how different people see football as I agree with collo. Only seen him a couple of times but imo Ebosele is very good when running at people but just seems a bit clumsy almost at some of the basics. 

For me he's a winger and not a full back. He'll give some full backs a tough game with his raw pace and directness but there's something missing in his overall play. Happy to see how he develops and if he can improve on them though.

Sounds a bit like Wanchope.

well done last night boys , while Festy , Watson and Rav rightly get the plaudits , id like to give a big shout out for Hutchinson and Jordan Brown who both after initial shaky starts last night grew into the game , the maturity , composure , guts and tenacity of these two boys was first class , looking forward to the continued development of these two and the rest of the Academy boys , the future while not bright at the minute is beginning to glimmer COYR

35 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

From what I saw last night he was good but thought he was close to anonymous against Huddersfield really. 

He was sound enough but yes, that was probably the worst of his 4 games. None of the team flowed against Huddersfield apart from Fozzy and Festy