Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Personally I think it is worse as a manager. Being a manager comes with far greater responsibility, he sets the standard through the club. Have our expectations dropped so much that we are ok with our manager getting pissed in a nightclub and allowing himself to be in this situation? Especially given our current situation. We need leadership and responsibility. When you step up to the big role you have to act the part. This isn't that.

Nah. It's more embarrassing for us that it's happened to him now he's our manager, but it's not worse behaviour. His ability to perform his job won't materially be affected by having a few jars on a weekend, whereas it definitely would as a player.

This is all immaterial anyway as he was almost certainly getting pissed during his playing career as well.

36 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nah. It's more embarrassing for us that it's happened to him now he's our manager, but it's not worse behaviour. His ability to perform his job won't materially be affected by having a few jars on a weekend, whereas it definitely would as a player.

This is all immaterial anyway as he was almost certainly getting pissed during his playing career as well.

I’ve lost any remaining respect I had for him. Compare Rooney’s  with the gentlemanly behaviour of Cocu. Different class !

48 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Personally I think it is worse as a manager. Being a manager comes with far greater responsibility, he sets the standard through the club. Have our expectations dropped so much that we are ok with our manager getting pissed in a nightclub and allowing himself to be in this situation? Especially given our current situation. We need leadership and responsibility. When you step up to the big role you have to act the part. This isn't that.

Yip, tend to agree with you. 

As manager, you have influence and power at a club. Show weakness and it gives players an out when the going gets tough.

By putting yourself in compromising positions, you are risking blackmail / bribery etc and that can have an effect on the club.

Im not saying that was the end game for the girls, but we've all seen "stings" in the past, and Wayne doesn't seem to make good choices with a beer in his belly. 

10 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

"The incident occurred at Pennyhill Park, the luxury hotel and spa in Surrey where Derby recently stayed for a pre-season training camp, with Rooney taking part to make up the numbers due to the club's lack of players.

It is understood that Rooney's challenge with Knight was a "50-50" and an accident, but it is the 20-year-old academy product who is now facing an extended period out of action."

On its own, Rooney being pictured in a hotel room with women would just be a matter for him and his family. It's embarrassing for him.

Thing is, the timing of this is shocking. We're at our lowest ebb for a number of decades. Both on and off the field. The last thing Derby need is more negative press. We've got an owner trying to sell the club, negotiate with the EFL and deal with increasing debts at an uncertain time for revenues due to COVID. Add this into the mix, on top of this Jason Knight debarcle and you've got to ask yourself, what was he thinking? Or not thinking.

We're less than two weeks away from the first game of the season and our manager thought it a good idea to go and get rat arsed after loosing a friendly. That's the bigger problem for me, I don't care about the photos and hotel room. I care more about the complete lack of professionalism and focus at a critical juncture in the clubs history. Whether its Rooney's fault or not that we're in the mess we're in, he should be making sure his actions are only for the better of the club. His have not been.