Jozwiak

vonwright

9 hours ago, DCFClks said:

There's been times this season where we've had Jozwiak on RW with Byrne in RB in support.

The way we set up it was more a case of Jozwiak being in support of Byrne.

It's understandable because Byrne's crossing is of such a high standard, it doesn't really help Jozwiak much though. Lots of people just see 'winger', check the goals/assists and judge entirely on that.

What's very clear from watching Poland is that Jozwiak is very much told to stick to the touchline wherever possible, for us he was told to move inside to make way for Byrne.

Edited by Coconut

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

The way we set up it was more a case of Jozwiak being in support of Byrne.

It's understandable because Byrne's crossing is of such a high standard, it doesn't really help Jozwiak much though. Lots of people just see 'winger', check the goals/assists and judge entirely on that.

What's very clear from watching Poland is that Jozwiak is very much told to stick to the touchline wherever possible, for us he was told to move inside to make way for Byrne.

But whatever the the tactics were, whether Jozwiak was supporting Byrne or the other way round, they obviously didn't work. My point was there is enough overall attacking ability in Jozwiak and Byrne to cause more problems for defenses than they did last season, and the right manager would get that out of them.  

It was one of the many problems last year though wasn't it? You have a full back and a wide player who both aren't great at defending. Their best attribute is crossing balls into the box which is no good if you don't have players in the box with good movement. Also no good, as already said, if you ask your winger to cut inside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From an article in The Athletic:

"Saturday’s opening Championship fixture against Huddersfield Town will mark the first competitive game where Jozwiak will experience with fans. He makes no secret that he enjoys playing with an intensity and, at times, a little on the edge. He is very much looking forward to a packed Pride Park for extra motivation. And he hopes to inspire a chant.

“I heard that in England fans have songs for certain players they like. But in Poland, we don’t really have that. I don’t know if the Derby fans have one for me or not. But if I could get one, that would be OK. I missed them last season. Sometimes it felt like a friendly. I thrive off the crowd.

“In Lech, I played in front of a lot of fans. I saw at Derby (on TV) that the fans are also very good and Krystian also told me how great they are. So I know the fans will fight with us.

“When you do a good thing and they react you get additional energy. After the game against Sheffield Wednesday, I was trying to drive home and I couldn’t get out of the car park because all the fans came down to support us. Not every place in the world is like that. Sometimes fans only support you when you are in a good position. That was very helpful for us.”

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, jono said:

@RoyMac5… love seeing posts like that. ? Helps you feel like you count and players really do feel it. 

I love it when players get their own songs… we need more of them. 

Yeah I think some of the fans needed to be able to read stuff like that from Joz. He really hasn't had the easiest of starts at the club and is still comparatively young and inexperienced.

Come on all you song-writers, give us a song for Joz!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I think some of the fans needed to be able to read stuff like that from Joz. He really hasn't had the easiest of starts at the club and is still comparatively young and inexperienced.

Come on all you song-writers, give us a song for Joz!

Kamil Kamil Kamil Kamil Chameleon da da da daaaa 

I’ll get my coat ?

2 hours ago, jono said:

@RoyMac5… love seeing posts like that. ? Helps you feel like you count and players really do feel it. 

I love it when players get their own songs… we need more of them. 

Everyone used to get one....even the crap players. Seems to be reserved for just a couple these days, and has more to do with if someone can think of a song they think is clever/funny than any support of the player.