El DerbyCo

roboto

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

But wait on, we need to find something negative to say. People could get happy, any sort of excitement or optimism needs to be snuffed out at the earliest opportunity. How dare anyone believe this could be a good move. We must all live like Flagellants.

We must all live like wind - passers ? ? 

1 hour ago, jono said:

As you say, none of completely understand Mels motives. I’d guess they are very human. A bit of a gamble, got the club at a reasonable price and a chance of the Prem at that time .. chance being the operative word. Then add in he is a fan without doubt. I think my defence of him is based on the fact that he stuck with it as long as he was able and ploughed money in even when the gamble hadn’t payed off. Decent, honest, professional. 

I’d be very interested to see how many clubs have been “successful” in the last 10 years .. by this I mean who a) reached the prem and thus guaranteed themselves a pay day and subsequent parachute payments (I.e. financial security and effective freedom from FFP ) or b) established themselves in the prem. There aren’t that many. Burnley Leicester, and then the hand full of yo-yo clubs. Any others I have forgotten ? Then the abject failures like Sunderland. Bottom line is we have been par for the course, ebbed and flowed with the tide. 

Exactly this. There are no guarantees in football and for every ten investors, only two are "succesful" - if success is measured on a scale of only promotion is good enough.

The other eight aren't all crooks or were rubbish. They just tried and failed. 

Overall the last seven years have been more enjoyable on the pitch than they haven't and I like others am just sad that it didn't work out for Mel. Have met him a few times I feel he is a decent guy who only ever wanted the best for this club.

There is no magic formula for success. I have just rewatched the review of the 13/14 season (I know!)

Leeds were in the High Court, look where they are now. Wigan, alternatively, were riding high. Look how divergent their future paths have been.

There's nothing guaranteed in football but we journey with hope, that's what we enjoy. 

For those of you that just enjoy wallowing in the misery, this may well have been your season, but beware, things might get better! 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Exactly this. There are no guarantees in football and for every ten investors, only two are "succesful" - if success is measured on a scale of only promotion is good enough.

Overall the last seven years have been more enjoyable on the pitch than they haven't and I like others am just sad that it didn't work out for Mel. Have met him a few times I feel he is a decent guy who only ever wanted the best for this club.

There is no magic formula for success. I have just rewatched the review of the 13/14 season (I know!)

Leeds were in the High Court, look where they are now. Wigan, alternatively, were riding high. Look how divergent their future paths have been.

There's nothing guaranteed in football but we journey with hope, that's what we enjoy. 

For those of you that just enjoy wallowing in the misery, this may well have been your season, but beware, things might get better! 

jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is this really your impression of people who are legitimately concerned/worried about their club being bought by a 29-year-old friend of Matt Southall who may or may not be using his own money and may or may not be a supporter of a potentially far-right party? 

Surely being concerned about a takeover involving this person, after everything that has been brought up, is not just people “wallowing in misery”?

I can see why people are saying: “just give him a chance, give him time to prove himself” - but this is pointless, because we have absolutely no choice other than to give him a chance. He will be taking control of the club whether we like it or not. We can’t stop it.

But that shouldn’t mean that we shouldn’t hold him to account! We should expect the owner of this football to adhere to a standard befitting of that position. I think some of the things about Mr Alonso that have been highlighted recently suggest that he is not going to meet that standard at all.

You can call that wallowing in misery if you like.

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

If I've ever learnt anything from football, it is not to worry too much. Time seems to move quicker in the game than real life. 

I remember getting back to the car as a 13 year old after another loss at home, worrying about the contracts of players such as Michael Johnson and Peschisolido, the average age of the squad and what the hell we were going to do with no money. 

All completely wasted energy.

The funniest part is that we're almost back in exactly the same position 20 years later. Mortgage on the stadium, little investment in the playing squad, potential takeover, thin squad, lots of youth coming through, and hardly any big earners left in the wage bill. 

All we can do is turn uo and support the lads, and if the ownership is that bad, wave some A4 paper at them. 

How much would it cost to do a complete rebuild of the team, to something able to complete for a top 2.

I can't think of any area of the team that wouldn't require improvement, given this season. 

Is it a good idea to tell the world you have a lot of money to spend.

Other clubs will rub their hands together and say, happy to charge you more than market value for players.

If this money exists, I'd wonder whats happening about buying the ground.

Doesn't not owning the ground mean you don't get the full money from sponsorship and merchandise, which is a big reason to own the ground.

Derby will need some very good scouts, but those scouts will think we can charge more since we know the team has deep pockets

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is this really your impression of people who are legitimately concerned/worried about their club being bought by a 29-year-old friend of Matt Southall who may or may not be using his own money and may or may not be a supporter of a potentially far-right party? 

Surely being concerned about a takeover involving this person, after everything that has been brought up, is not just people “wallowing in misery”?

I can see why people are saying: “just give him a chance, give him time to prove himself” - but this is pointless, because we have absolutely no choice other than to give him a chance. He will be taking control of the club whether we like it or not. We can’t stop it.

But that shouldn’t mean that we shouldn’t hold him to account! We should expect the owner of this football to adhere to a standard befitting of that position. I think some of the things about Mr Alonso that have been highlighted recently suggest that he is not going to meet that standard at all.

I understand your concerns, I think that we all have some. You're right, we have no choice but to give him a chance. However it looks to me, I could be wrong, that you have already made up your mind.

I guess it's perfectly normal for fans to be concerned. After all, we're getting a new member of our family, of OUR club.

If your parents got divorced and your mum gets a new partner, you'd rightly want to know about them, to meet them and make sure they are going to treat her well, look after her etc.

Anyway, Erik, treat our mum well, she's high maintenance & her kids are very demanding !!

Edited by SamUltraRam

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I understand your concerns, I think that we all have some. You're right, we have no choice but to give him a chance. However it looks to me, I could be wrong, that you have already made up your mind.

This is just where I’m at with it going on everything that has been put before me about this guy.

I’m absolutely open to having my mind changed. I hope it is! I hope I’m wrong! Because if I I’m not, we’ll all be wallowing in misery...

4 minutes ago, Oldben said:

How much would it cost to do a complete rebuild of the team, to something able to complete for a top 2.

I can't think of any area of the team that wouldn't require improvement, given this season. 

Is it a good idea to tell the world you have a lot of money to spend.

Other clubs will rub their hands together and say, happy to charge you more than market value for players.

If this money exists, I'd wonder whats happening about buying the ground.

Doesn't not owning the ground mean you don't get the full money from sponsorship and merchandise, which is a big reason to own the ground.

Derby will need some very good scouts, but those scouts will think we can charge more since we know the team has deep pockets

Why would merchandising sales and sponsorship have anything to do with who owns the stadium (apart from naming rights of the ground itself)? If you operate a shop from leasehold premises you don’t have to pay a portion of your sales to the landlord. Advertising within the ground may be a different story but I guess that depends on the terms of the lease. It could be that all the club have to pay is rent.

FWIW here is my two peneth...

Mel clearly wants out (for a number of reasons) he's given it his best shot and not quite got us over the line.  Fair play to the guy, he invested his time, energy and considerable wealth into the club and given us more good times than bad.

He has tried to find us the best new owner possible and settled on Erik Alonso who is talking the talk at least.  My personal view is no one really wants to own a football club to lose £X million so his intentions will be in the right place, whether he succeeds or follows through with any promises time will tell - but its the start of another journey and hopefully we'll enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

You can be sceptical of course you can but at the end of the day what do you want to happen ! 

I'll not speak for ariotofmyown he can do that well enough for himself, But any DCFC supporter worth their salt wants the best, The best being honest players who pull on that shirt to give their best match in match out, A Manager that has the ability to attract the best talent available who WANT TO PLAY FOR DCFC and not just be here because it's a final pay day, A Manager that can motivate, That can match if not better the oppositions Manager, A Manager that has the players 100% attention on and off the pitch, An owner that is true to his word, That wants desperately as much success as the supporters do, Not being haulled up in the court of justice where football scullduggery is involved, To be proud to go to Pride Park, To feel that Buzz again, To tell your workmates your friends and your foes that "were back baby".

I'll not be there to watch, I'll be elsewhere, But I can assure you all my attention will be focussed on kick off times where DCFCs match days are concerned.

Be patient Boys and Girls don't ever forget...This is Derby County.

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think there is a big difference between being concerned and some of the vitriolic rubbish I have read on this thread, yes.

I think the very phrase "holding to account" smacks of an entitlement that I just don't think we as fans have, but if you feel we must  hold him to account, shouldn't we at least wait until he's done something? 

What is the "standard befitting of football club owners" and how many would actually pass such a test? Would Chelsea's owner?

I just feel that fans these days get hung up on far too much. Really, if you only want ethical ownership,  maybe professional football is not the sport for you.

It’s natural to have concerns or nervous as Marco Gabbiadini said, would be surprised if Alonso himself didn’t have concerns. 

Ultimately unless any significant number of fans feel that strongly against him buying the club to protest (I’m not one), we have to judge the man as he says by the work he does and not his words.

Fans have been wrong to pre judge players, managers in the past, we have also been right. 

I personally try to go in to any kind of signing/appointment now with an open mind but not without reservations if needed. 

Now that's where me and Marco differ, because I don't think we deserve success any more than them poor Oldham fans who also travel the hard miles every week with far less reward than us! 

It's a good phrase to get a few likes, but it's as banal as the statements the players come out with in the post match interviews.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I think there is a big difference between being concerned and some of the vitriolic rubbish I have read on this thread, yes.

I think the very phrase "holding to account" smacks of an entitlement that I just don't think we as fans have, but if you feel we must  hold him to account, shouldn't we at least wait until he's done something? 

What is the "standard befitting of football club owners" and how many would actually pass such a test? Would Chelsea's owner?

I just feel that fans these days get hung up on far too much. Really, if you only want ethical ownership,  maybe professional football is not the sport for you.

Why should you hold your owner to account? Who else is going to do it if not supporters? The local media?

Why is it so different to holding your local politicians to account, for example? Both have sizeable control and say over the future of something you care massively about, be that your local community or your football club. I’m really surprised that you think fans shouldn’t play this role and, even more so, that you think this “smacks of entitlement.”

Look at what has happened to some of the oldest clubs in this country under some stewardships. Were Bolton supporters, concerned about the takeover by Ken Anderson, smacked with entitlement?

It’s very easy to say “just wait until he’s done something” but what you’re doing there is essentially trying to make any of his previous completely irrelevant - but how can it be irrelevant when, at this stage, that is all we have to go on!

I think being vocal about the future of your football club and calling things out when you see them is a better option than just packing it in and saying: “Huh, maybe professional football just isn’t for me? ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Do you think the Wigan fans were right to try and hold their new owners to account? I have been a Rams fan for over 50 years, travelling up and down the country cheering on the team through thick and thin. Hopefully I will be here supporting my team long after Alonso departs but I think I have invested enough time, money and energy to ask questions of any new owner. I think ultimately it is our club and as has been seen over the last 12 months football is nothing without the fans.....