Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

7 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Maybe the club do place too much emphasis on the role of captain but if that is the expectation then Keogh knew full well.

I don't think it is Bennett or Lawrence the club are bothered about him not looking after but the 4th player involved. Keogh made a series of poor judgement calls and rightly or wrongly the club have made him ultimately responsible. We all make mistakes and have to own up to them, Lawrence and Bennett have done so and been punished internally and externally. Accepting the contract would be Keogh doing so. 

What do people want to happen to Keogh? Because there was a good chance we could have paid him full wage to get fit and then he could have left for nothing. Will he even be able to play again to a decent level? Was he the one behind the drinking culture, very easy if you don't drive? Keogh needed to accept the contract and allow everyone to move on, sadly I feel his choices back my view on his character.

What a sorry state of affairs. Classically Derby, the right way, the wrong way and the Derby way.

Who was the mysterious 4th person in the car?I wonder why he has never beened named??

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Like I say though, I think the fans and the club are taking his role as captain far too seriously. 

It’s just a bunch of work mates on a night out ultimately. He’s not on captain mode there, he’s with his mates.

Alan Shearer nearly killed Keith Gillespie in a drunken fight as Newcastle and England captain! 

It happens. They’re blokes on the piss. They do stupid things.

Morning Richard ?

14 hours ago, KCG said:

My thoughts on this matter is that none of this is helping Derby County.

Exactly this...If Keogh loved this club as much as people think why not accept a lesser offer and keep negative publicity away from DCFC but no......he's done wrong but no apology to fans and doesn't want a pay cut...club was generous to offer him any deal considering his age and what he's done.....he's not coming across very well in all of this...maybe it is this arrogance which led him to stay out later than was expected and getting drunk in the first place..he's not acting how I would like our captain to act  if he was a decent captain surely he would've shown an example and told the likes of Lawrence and Bennett to get themselves home via a cab.......now this is going to drag on if he appeals....this club has no feel good factor at the moment and i fear it will reflect on the pitch.....sorry times 

7 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I don't think it is Bennett or Lawrence the club are bothered about him not looking after but the 4th player involved.

This is a really good point. The 4th player, supposedly an academy teenager... I can see how the club would be really angry that Keogh was complicit in him sharing a ride in Lawrence's car. It does aggregate the situation. 

10 minutes ago, Saity said:

Exactly this...If Keogh loved this club as much as people think why not accept a lesser offer and keep negative publicity away from DCFC but no......he's done wrong but no apology to fans and doesn't want a pay cut...club was generous to offer him any deal considering his age and what he's done.....he's not coming across very well in all of this...maybe it is this arrogance which led him to stay out later than was expected and getting drunk in the first place..he's not acting how I would like our captain to act  if he was a decent captain surely he would've shown an example and told the likes of Lawrence and Bennett to get themselves home via a cab.......now this is going to drag on if he appeals....this club has no feel good factor at the moment and i fear it will reflect on the pitch.....sorry times 

Keogh is perfectly entitled to appeal within his employment rights as per any other individual so it's not down to Keogh if the matter drags on as you phrase it.

If the appeal is unsuccessful then Keogh will also be perfectly entitled to either take the club to an industrial tribunal as he has been at the company i.e. Derby for more than 2 years or even sue the club if he saw fit which will also mean that the matter drags on even further which again he is perfectly entitled to do as per any other individual.

If Morris thought that Keogh would just walk away after being dismissed then he is extremely naive so he must have known that his actions would then form a cloud over the club for a great length of time afterwards

10 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's a decision made by an accountant with a spreadsheet, not a supporter with soul.

I seem to recall a newspaper article saying that MM was keeping the Club afloat to the tune of £3M a month.

In that context, is the Club really going to countenance paying a player £25k per week to not play possibly ever again for 15 months when the injury was completely self-inflicted? 

Some have claimed that MM makes the “wrong decisions” because his heart rules his head. I’d say this is clear evidence that it is not true. it’s a decision made in the best interests of Derby County. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I seem to recall a newspaper article saying that MM was keeping the Club afloat to the tune of £3M a month.

In that context, is the Club really going to countenance paying a player £25k per week to not play possibly ever again for 15 months when the injury was completely self-inflicted? 

Some have claimed that MM makes the “wrong decisions” because his heart rules his head. I’d say this is clear evidence that it is not true. it’s a decision made in the best interests of Derby County. 

It's a decision made in the best financial interests of Derby County.

How it will impact team spirit, perception of the club, and our attraction for new recruits we'll have to wait and see.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

It's a decision made in the best financial interests of Derby County.

How it will impact team spirit, perception of the club, and our attraction for new recruits we'll have to wait and see.

I think it is likely that any echo of this event will last longer on here than in the outside football world

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is a really good point. The 4th player, supposedly an academy teenager... I can see how the club would be really angry that Keogh was complicit in him sharing a ride in Lawrence's car. It does aggregate the situation. 

I had hoped our academy players would know better than to consume alcohol. It's one of the major contributing factors which prevents promising youngsters from fulfilling their potential - increased risk of injury, slower recovery time, lower stamina, lower performance levels, etc... I think we all know it's easy to be peer pressured into drinking at a young age, so I can only imagine what it could be like for a young player trying to bond with senior first team players. I expect our clubs hopes for as many as possible of our players reach their full potential. Therefore, I'd also expect our club to offer every single player as much support as possible to avoid alcohol and other substances/activities which is in conflict with that aim.

We should have enough former players who have experienced alcoholism in the past, who we could visit academy players to tell their stories. Former academy players would be a good start as they're more relatable  - Adam Murray being one such example. Paul McGrath being another former player who struggled/struggles with alcoholism. Gary Charles is even a councilor to young footballers. I believe one of our current U18s, Jaden, is his son so I'd be surprised if Gary wasn't willing to offer some support to our academy or to the rest of the club.

32 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It's £1.3m pa back into the P&S (FFP) kitty 

27 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I can’t recall whether this has been posted before

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-17007136

Blackburn Rovers boss Tony Mowbray on Bradley Johnson's connection to Derby County incident

Why were they all driving round to Lawrence's if Johnson only lives 2 minutes away? 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Aren’t the club just doing what’s right for the club ? Surely that’s as it should be , all three players did what they wanted on that night( plus many other nights?) with no regard to the club and fulfilling their side of their contract , 

now the club sacks the one who is on 25 k per week but due to his stupid selfish behaviour cannot play for a large chunk of his contract if ever again , punish the two who can still play and be sold ,get something back from for our financial outlay , there really is no moral dilemma here , 

I like rich as a player for us and am sad for him and us fans that do like him that it’s ended this way but it is what it is , we need to bring in a replacement ,we can’t and shouldn’t have to cause the club financial problems because of the actions of these players

This is the long and short of it. People can bleat all they want about how all three should be sacked if Keogh was but the fact is that a young player who is under a reasonable length of contract holds all the cards. The club simply cannot just write off the £££s of value that are held in Bennett and Lawrence (regardless of your opinions of their actual worth), if only because of FFP. Additionally we would be unable to replace them until January and even then it's likely the finances would be stretched to the limit. All three of them (and others) behaved like knobs but Keogh got unlucky and cannot play for a year and sometimes, unfortunately, it comes down to luck. That's life. So long Rich, thanks for the memories and all that......

I have felt too emotional about the whole situation to offer my view up to now.

My heart is broken for a good captain and warrior for DCFC. To be sacked from the club you have given 100% to on the pitch over seven gruelling seasons must be humiliating and make you feel dreadful.

However, my head now questions how much of Keogh's passion for Derby is real. The least favourable offer he turned down from the club, if accurate, of £3,000 per week, is more than the prime minister's salary and only slightly less than the chief police constable of Derbyshire who has responsibility for a huge budget and staff team  who do a tremendously difficult job every day at work.

He was also being offered free state of the art rehabilitation facilities, could start to work on his coaching badges if he wished and presumably would also be free to supplement his income with appearances on Sky ("like you say") or other options if that is his choice. Most importantly in all this he was being offered an opportunity to retain his status as a good servant of the club and the adoration and support of the fans.

He has chosen to reject all this for what? More money. Not much of a swap in my opinion.

His action will now by actively costing the club too as they will have been taking expensive legal advice and will have to continue to do so over the appeal and possible tribunal.

People are wondering why no official statement from Derby. I wonder whether the 'statement' we are reading is actually the dismissal letter to Keogh as the wording in it, including the 14 days' appeal time, reads like a letter from HR. 

I don't know if I am being overly supportive of my club, but the whole way this story has broken makes me think it has come from Keogh's side. He clearly feels very aggrieved about the way he is being treated.

I also think this will have been going back and forward for some time, that this is just the latest play from the club and that they might have been hoping for a response from Keogh that would have allowed him a successful appeal, rather than a messy, public and prolonged visit to an industrial tribunal.

All this is huge speculation on my part, for which I hold my hands up. It is coloured by my huge love for our club, rather than for any individual player, no matter how good a servant he has been to DCFC.

What I do know is that while Keogh still has my sympathy, he's lost my respect. 

Edited by angieram
To remove some stray letters