Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst things of this whole story is the lose-lose outcome of it. For example now, understandably, Mel is doing what is right to the club. At the same time it can be disturbing the team spirit (well, we don't know, maybe Keogh wasn't popular figure after all). So even though the amount of factors are small, the effect to whole organisation and especially individual and team levels of it , can be huge. 

Personally, I'd just like to know is the rollercoaster going up or down at the moment. As I wasn't much of a fan of Keogh (although he was our best CB), I'm hoping this whole accident to work as cleaner of rot and catalyzer to future success.

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Keogh is perfectly entitled to appeal within his employment rights as per any other individual so it's not down to Keogh if the matter drags on as you phrase it.

If the appeal is unsuccessful then Keogh will also be perfectly entitled to either take the club to an industrial tribunal as he has been at the company i.e. Derby for more than 2 years or even sue the club if he saw fit which will also mean that the matter drags on even further which again he is perfectly entitled to do as per any other individual.

If Morris thought that Keogh would just walk away after being dismissed then he is extremely naive so he must have known that his actions would then form a cloud over the club for a great length of time afterwards

You make it sound like its all Mel Morris' fault. You don't have an agenda do you?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Perhaps your assumption about the source of info is wrong. Didn’t the statement end with the usual “Derby county will be making no further comment” etc which they have said about three times now?

keogh could perhaps legitimately argue that he didn’t know that Lawrence  was over the limit, and therefore wasn’t Doing anything stupid or reckless by accepting a lift. The same argument would apply to the fourth player who has - for some reason - had his identity protected, but is clearly visible on the video of the players in the pub. Keogh could argue that he did nothing wrong. If i was in his shoes I wouldn’t want to immediately agree to a draconian pay cut if I believed myself to be an innocent victim. Particularly when the main culprits got a smack on the wrist. 

Anyone, let alone a professional athlete, getting drunk and then rendering themselves unfit for work for over a year could never be classed as "an innocent victim". 

I'm not reading through 51 pages of this so I know what I'm going to say has hopefully already been said.

People who see Richard Keogh as the victim here are wrong, Derby County are the victim.

I'll preface this by saying I think all three should have been sacked. I would rather that have happened but I think Keogh is fully deserving of the sack.

Keogh's 33 years old, I've worked with/been responsible for young people in a professional capacity who have the same age gap between me and them as Keogh did to Bennett/Lawrence. He should have known better.

He got into Lawrence's car inebriated, knowing full well Lawrence was well over the limit and then didn't even put his ducking seatbelt on. The club captain. "Mr Derby County".

By doing that he's pretty much ended his career,  he can't perform his job and he should consider himself lucky to be alive.

Derby are right to sack him. I just don't have any sympathy for him. I think they were generous to offer him a chance to stay on a reduced contract.

Just because he wasn't driving doesn't mean he's the victim in any way. He's dug his own grave by getting in that car let alone not putting on a seatbelt. It's not a situation where you can say 'well if Lawrence wasn't driving drunk Keogh would never have got injured!'. Keogh could have still got himself a taxi, the bloke can't drive, I'm sure he knows the number for a taxi company.

He's damaged the club in a way the other two simply haven't. He's completely eradicated himself as an asset to his employers through his own irresponsible actions.

I'd rather we'd have let Lawrence and Bennett go as well but if you see it from the clubs perspective, while their actions were equally as irresponsible they didn't go as far as to injure themselves. I don't know if they were wearing seatbelts or not but they can still do their job. The fact they were driving doesn't make them more responsible than Keogh.

It's upsetting because Keogh was easily my favourite Derby player of all time. Shame he's been such an absolute clown.

Taking all of the emotional part out of this whole sorry mess, does it really matter who the player is, how long he has been here, how much he gives every week.  The bloke cannot do that for the next 12 months, probably never will again by all accounts.

I have no idea about contract law, but common sense would suggest.

In a contract between two parties, if one side cannot fulfill their obligations, then i would have thought that the contract can in all fairness be renegotiated.

Through a non-football related incident RK cannot fulfill his contractual obligations.

If he has rejected the new terms of the renegotiated contract. What other outcome can realistically be expected.

None if us know the real figures involved.

From the club's point if view, they are a man down.  Surely any money saved by not paying a player the previous full amount for not turning out for the next 12 months could be added to the potential salary for a new CB that could be recruited in the Jan transfer window.

Purely business, do you pay someone a massive amount for doing nothing, or do you try and recoup some money and put it towards somebody who can actually play ?

He was not offered nothing.
He was offered less than before, for not providing his services for the next 12 months.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I have felt too emotional about the whole situation to offer my view up to now.

My heart is broken for a good captain and warrior for DCFC. To be sacked from the club you have given 100% to on the pitch over seven gruelling seasons must be humiliating and make you feel dreadful.

However, my head now questions how much of Keogh's passion for Derby is real. The least favourable offer he turned down from the club, if accurate, of £3,000 per week, is more than the prime minister's salary and only slightly less than the chief police constable of Derbyshire who has responsibility for a huge budget and staff team  who do a tremendously difficult job every day at work.

He was also being offered free state of the art rehabilitation facilities, could start to work on his coaching badges if he wished and presumably would also be free to supplement his income with appearances on Sky ("like you say") or other options if that is his choice. Most importantly in all this he was being offered an opportunity to retain his status as a good servant of the club and the adoration and support of the fans.

He has chosen to reject all this for what? More money. Not much of a swap in my opinion.

His action will now by actively costing the club too as they will have been taking expensive legal advice and will have to continue to do so over the appeal and possible tribunal.

People are wondering why no official statement from Derby. I wonder whether the 'statement' we are reading is actually the dismissal letter to Keogh as the wording in it, including the 14 days' appeal time, reads like a letter from HR. 

I don't know if I am being overly supportive of my club, but the whole way this story has broken makes me think it has come from Keogh's side. He clearly feels very aggrieved about the way he is being treated.

I also think this will have been going back and forward for some time, that this is just the latest play from the club and that they might have been hoping for a response from Keogh that would have allowed him a successful appeal, rather than a messy, public and prolonged visit to an industrial tribunal.

All this is huge speculation on my part, for which I hold my hands up. It is coloured by my huge love for our club, rather than for any individual player, no matter how good a servant he has been to DCFC.

What I do know is that while Keogh still has my sympathy, he's lost my respect. 

Superbly lucid and clear @angieram. I myself have questioned why RK would turn down the offer. He has to face the sad fact that his period as a player is over prematurely. However, the Club can give him the opportunity to launch his post-playing career alongside Rooney with the experience and knowledge of Cocu, club facilities etc. Maybe RK needed better advice and counselling before making a choice; I’m sure the Club would have set out the alternatives. It really is a shame that such a good servant has seemingly chosen to go down the route which will merely drag this out into a saga. 

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think so @RoyMac5; but perhaps anybody in RK’s position would need careful professional career counselling to be able to come to the right decision and maybe his agent, if he has one, has advised in a different way. 

Fair enough. I think in character, and shows what he thinks of the club. I'm sure there'll be more revelations over the course of the season. 

Not read all of the thread as the first page was enough. Suffice to say that 'the other two' remain fit and able to continue doing the job they are being paid for. Keogh is not. This is a financial decision not the moral judgement some on here seem to assume. Why on earth would we expect the club to fork out £1.3 million in wages to a player whose injury is a result of his own stupidity. 

It's a shame his career is ending this way as I've nothing but love for the skipper and what he does on the pitch, but his idiocy off it is what has brought him to this.

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Anyone, let alone a professional athlete, getting drunk and then rendering themselves unfit for work for over a year could never be classed as "an innocent victim". 

How do you know keogh was drunk? That’s never even been suggested 

Archived