Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I wouldn't accept a pay drop though either. I'd accept the same punishments as the drink drivers and I would consider myself being reasonable. 

Like I said, I get that he can't provide a service anymore and I get that the club are possibly within their rights to do what they have done. 

I dunno, I just have my principals and loyalty and I'm a proud person. I do what I thinks right whether it's legal or not, fair or not. I don't hold people to a higher standard than others. I don't think I'm better than anyone and I don't think anyone is better than me. For Keogh's service and position I'd have some leniency and I wouldn't dare utter words about representing the club and still let Lawrence and Bennett run around. I'd choke on my words. 

If I was Keogh I'd take the wage drop if I saw it as a punishment just under Lawrence and Bennett. I'd not really accept this fantasy role that I'm their father figure and somehow supposed to look after them in a pub. They drove the car!! I've been punished for getting in it because my leg is ruined. 

Derby's morals are a bit out of line with mine.

I thought they handled Lawrence and Bennett quite well. But this knocks the whole thing out of perspective 

Unfortunately I think finances have been the decision maker all along although the club won't/can't admit that, so it's just my opinion. My stance all along is that L&B should have been sacked but over the past 24 hours I've actually changed my mind on Keogh to the point I agree with his sacking when previously I didn't.

But then I go back to L&B still working and it grinds me on the morals. I can see why Keogh is rightly annoyed as well. I dont buy into this being the captain stuff etc. If I was on a night out with work colleagues, its not the responsibility of the most senior employee to take care of everyone etc. keogh got drunk, got in the car of a drunk driver, didn't wear his belt, has become incapacitated for 15 months and the collective of all that adds up to gross negligence for me. The 15 months point (together with the cost of that 15 months) probably swung it over to gross negligence for the club.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Okay. Just Keogh then. He sat around drinking and let his younger team-mates drink and drive. Who knows what peer pressure was involved and from who. But it was not the behaviour expected from the captain of Derby County FC.

Like I say though, I think the fans and the club are taking his role as captain far too seriously. 

It’s just a bunch of work mates on a night out ultimately. He’s not on captain mode there, he’s with his mates.

Alan Shearer nearly killed Keith Gillespie in a drunken fight as Newcastle and England captain! 

It happens. They’re blokes on the piss. They do stupid things.

Edited by cannable

When I first heard about the incident my initial reaction was relief that nobody was killed and hopefully the lads would take their punishment and we could draw a line under it and move on.  However since Keogh has been sacked for gross misconduct it doesn't sit well with me that the ones found guilty of drink driving are still playing for Derby. As far as I'm concerned the sooner they are sold and move on the better. Financially I understand the reasons but morally for me it is unfair and very wrong. I understand some people will disagree and that is fine as I respect that other people will have differing opinions.  

Edited by Dappled Ram
Extra word

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I don't buy this kind of talk though. 

Maybe because when I was 24 or 25 I could walk on my own two feet and I didn't need or want excuses for my mistakes. Maybe that the reason I accept mistakes from people but not excuses. 

If poor little Tom and precious little Mason look to Keogh as some sort of guidance then they need to grow the duck up

I'm the same age as Keogh. I'm responsible for me and my daughters. I make mistakes and so do they. I accept consequences and I learn from them. Would i feck take a work colleague out and accept responsibility for him because he's 25. You can stick a piece of elastic on my arm every Saturday and still get the same answer

In this world everyone knows a dhead but nobody admits to being one. 

I'm capable of fecking up. So are you. Maybe people need to learn to say that more instead of looking to point the finger. 

Mason Bennett is a Dad isn't he? Do he need Keogh to come around and wipe his arse while he wipes his own child

Im actually picturing that hahahaha

2 minutes ago, europia said:

I reckon he could manage that, and catch a few crosses coming into the box. 

For every cross he caught; he'd let a shot trickle through his legs.

I'd rather have the keeper who flaps at crosses than the one who flaps at soft shots, personally.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Keogh is unable to play due to his own irresponsibility, so he doesn't deserve to be paid £25,000 a week.

FTFY buddy.

Think there's something up with your keyboard ?

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Not really, he's never going to get a better offer.

It's take £3k and downsize to a smaller mansion, make a fraction of that as a pundit and live in a normal house or get a job as a big brother contestant impersonator and live in a flat above a chippy.

Richard Keogh, the first footballer to lose a million pounds when his teammate hit the post. 

and sad though it is .. 1.2 million per year = a full 40 year working life’s income for an average wage earner. 3k a week / £ 156,000 per year is MD / senior Director level in any normal successful commercial company. None of this should matter .. we are all worth what the market is prepared to pay us in a chosen sphere, but it does when you can’t do your job 

we still don’t honestly know if he was offered anything though. It’s all gossip 

what a mess .. just shaking my head in bewilderment 

What it all comes down to is his decision making on that night. Nobody forced him to take that lift and then he gets injured. Did he apologise after the court case? Nope, he thanked everyone for support which is textbook manipulation in my opinion.

He then gets offered a pay cut which is still more than some people get a year within a fortnight and he refuses. It all smacks of refusal to admit his mistakes and is a disgustingly greedy move. I don't feel sorry for him, he should have hundreds of thousands in his savings and then to turn down free rehabilitation and a huge sum every week is vile. Lawrence and Bennett have been punished though the courts and can still play, I've got no time for people sticking up for the idiot. 

Maybe the club do place too much emphasis on the role of captain but if that is the expectation then Keogh knew full well.

I don't think it is Bennett or Lawrence the club are bothered about him not looking after but the 4th player involved. Keogh made a series of poor judgement calls and rightly or wrongly the club have made him ultimately responsible. We all make mistakes and have to own up to them, Lawrence and Bennett have done so and been punished internally and externally. Accepting the contract would be Keogh doing so. 

What do people want to happen to Keogh? Because there was a good chance we could have paid him full wage to get fit and then he could have left for nothing. Will he even be able to play again to a decent level? Was he the one behind the drinking culture, very easy if you don't drive? Keogh needed to accept the contract and allow everyone to move on, sadly I feel his choices back my view on his character.

What a sorry state of affairs. Classically Derby, the right way, the wrong way and the Derby way.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Like I say though, I think the fans and the club are taking his role as captain far too seriously. 

It’s just a bunch of work mates on a night out ultimately. He’s not on captain mode there, he’s with his mates.

Alan Shearer nearly killed Keith Gillespie in a drunken fight as Newcastle and England captain! 

It happens. They’re blokes on the piss. They do stupid things.

Respectfully disagree. It was a club organised night out, the club laid on taxis to get them all home safely & their profession is defined by their physical fitness and conditioning. And he as captain, is a leader there.

I'm not trying to be a puritan, I've done some pretty dumb things when younger & especially when leathered. But I've never earnt £25k per week or captained a Championship level football club. And that's the point really - the money is there to compensate for the sacrifices elsewhere i.e social life & lack of privacy. These lads are professional athletes & getting drunk at any time is just unacceptable, let alone the actions of that night.

People get sacked for being unable to do their job ... even when it's not their fault ... let alone when it is.

I do feel very sorry for Richard Keogh because it must be horrible to get sacked.

I hope that he can take comfort from having enjoyed a career involving international football, earning astronomical sums, and regularly having his name chanted by thousands in adoration. (I'm not being sarcastic!)

Going forwards, there are many jobs that he can do to earn a living with a gammy leg - and many people do start new careers in their 30s.

And, if he is sad about leaving the team, he can still be part of the wider-team, and get a season ticket, and stand (or sit) side-by-side with the other fans.

9 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Im no lawyer, and am going to say that I haven’t got a clue on the in and outs of which way this may or may not go.

However, I’m guessing that RK has taken legal advice on this and if he didn’t have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun) would have taken the reduced offer made by the club, for him to challenge the decision would lead me to believe that his legal team think they have a good case should it goto court.

They get paid win or lose so...

Aren’t the club just doing what’s right for the club ? Surely that’s as it should be , all three players did what they wanted on that night( plus many other nights?) with no regard to the club and fulfilling their side of their contract , 

now the club sacks the one who is on 25 k per week but due to his stupid selfish behaviour cannot play for a large chunk of his contract if ever again , punish the two who can still play and be sold ,get something back from for our financial outlay , there really is no moral dilemma here , 

I like rich as a player for us and am sad for him and us fans that do like him that it’s ended this way but it is what it is , we need to bring in a replacement ,we can’t and shouldn’t have to cause the club financial problems because of the actions of these players