Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

We could have had 7 or 8 today. Clinical from set pieces, but we squandered so many chances from open play too. Could have had 3 in a single 5 minute spell towards around the 75th minute mark.

Credit where it's due; Warne will have known he would be absolutely crucified for the Bradley led back 3 call, had we lost, or drawn, so I hope even his fiercest detractors will acknowledge his courage and game strategy today. No way I'd have played Bradley, though IIRC both @Ghost of Clough and @DCFC1388 I think called his selection more or less bang on.

The stats don't exactly scream it, but we've absolutely battered them today and on B4's birthday too!

COYR

Brilliant result. Congratulations on a great result to all the players, staff and fans. Well done, especially to Sonny Bradley. He's had some stick on here but he did us proud today. Hopefully this result and his performance will give him lots of confidence. I'm looking forward to reading through this thread tonight as I'm tucked up in bed with happy, sleepy thoughts and a mug of cocoa. Only positive comments I'm sure !!! 🥰 Sleep well tonight, fellow fans and recharge your emotional batteries for the matches ahead.

Decent performance today, early goals helped massively! Felt pretty comfortable all things considered!

No one had a bad game, thought Wilson probably our best player. Fair play to Bradley, wouldn’t have picked him myself but happy with the goals!

Two more to get it over the line now

The thing that Warne has really achieved is a colossal improvement in both our attacking and defending set pieces. 

Obviously the stats show the effectiveness off the attacking corners and free kicks - I believe we've scored more than any other of the 92 clubs.

However, I reckon the improvement in the defending from corners has been even better. For so many years, I've sat in the West Stand watching us defend set pieces with my hands over my eyes in terror. They had the same effect as Doctor Who had on six year old me. Now I'm relaxed enough to carry on a conversation. I expect us not to concede. 

I actually think that improvement is a significant reason why automatic promotion is in our hands with two games to go.

35 years of watching the Rams and can't ever remember being considered 'dangerous at set pieces'. Indeed, usually quite the opposite and absolutely useless. This season is making a refreshing change.  Can't ever remember scoring from 3 corners in one game either.  Remarkable. 

Edited by LazloW

1 hour ago, admira said:

Anyone else feel like this is a weird promotion season? It’s like if we do go up, it’s because there are 22 teams worse than us, not because we are in the best two if that makes sense. 

I sit here at the game and the atmosphere just feels a little ‘off’ somehow. It doesn’t compare with our previous seasons of success for me. 

I have no idea what you are talking about here, absolute nonsense.

I was at the game,the atmosphere was amazing....where are you sitting????

28 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Brilliant result. Congratulations on a great result to all the players, staff and fans. Well done, especially to Sonny Bradley. He's had some stick on here but he did us proud today. Hopefully this result and his performance will give him lots of confidence. I'm looking forward to reading through this thread tonight as I'm tucked up in bed with happy, sleepy thoughts and a mug of cocoa. Only positive comments I'm sure !!! 🥰 Sleep well tonight, fellow fans and recharge your emotional batteries for the matches ahead.

Blimey.  I ain't had me tea yet!

Phone switched on 1640 hours…… tentatively searching the scores…. There it was 2-0. Not 1-0 total squeeky bum time but two so a little leeway then BOOOOOMMM BRADLEY!!!! It’s three and all eyes on the Toughsheet (still makes me smile) stadium. Take that there. Two twins = PROMOTION. When did we last say that! Work for another couple of hours then by golly some ale tonight when I eventually get out! 
And great fun from Page 3 - 17 catching up. Hindsight eh. Enjoy tonight Rams safely please 

7 minutes ago, LazloW said:

35 years of watching the Rams and can't ever remember being considered 'dangerous at set pieces'. Indeed, usually quite the opposite and absolutely useless. This season is making a refreshing change.  Can't ever remember scoring from 3 corners in one game either.  Remarkable. 

It’s difficult to be a good footballing side and good at set-pieces, especially outside of PL level.

I don’t mean this in a trolling way, but we were never going to be a good set-piece side under the McClaren days when we had decent footballing players like Hughes, Ward, Bryson, Dawkins, Russell etc. We simply didn’t have the height or physicality.

But you look at cloggers like Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich and of course they looked far more dangerous at set-pieces.

We know Warne is more McCarthy than McClaren. We know Warne will favor physicality over flair. So it’s refreshing to see us become decent at set-pieces, but no doubt it will come at a cost of flair, technical ability and fluidity on the ball - especially at Championship level when we get there.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Always rated Sonny Bradley. Never lets us down

11 minutes ago, ck- said:

I’m looking forward to all the  tactical geniuses who called this a sackable formation and no chance of any goals, coming on here and admitting that they got it wrong. 

Yes, I'm looking forward to this too 😁 They probably arent big enough to give credit where credit is due though!

Massive results today 

we were energetic in midfield and dangerous from corners whilst the Orient keeper needs to work on not staying on his line or running past the ball 

early goals helped obviously with a good positive crowd