Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

24 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Who said it’s better to be lucky than good? 

Very pleased with the win obviously and the atmosphere was great (I was super nervous throughout, as I think were the players!).  But blimey we made hard work of it.  Some credit to Bolton too, but we were too frantic.

Napoleon “I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.”

23 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

PG Wodehouse from the directors box.

Pride Park, that verdant cathedral of sporting prowess, was teeming with eager souls, packed to the very rafters, for this monumental clash of titans vying for the coveted automatic promotion spot. As the erudite young Owen Bradley aptly remarked, one could almost taste the palpable tension hanging thickly in the air, stirring even the most stoic of hearts. Personally, I found myself afflicted with pre-match jitters of such magnitude that I could scarcely bring myself to partake of the morning repast. Indeed, so overcome was I by nerves that I instructed my trusty manservant, Jeeves, to consume it in my stead. The early setback of a hammy for the padel maestro Gayle did little to assuage the anxious throng, yet amidst the tumult, the bobble-hatted Warne, armed with nothing more than his boundless enthusiasm and a penchant for vigorous arm-waving à la Bradley, orchestrated a tactical masterstroke, deftly shuffling his substitute pack like a magician conjuring rabbits from a hat. And lo, it was the wand of Elder that proved the catalyst for glory, delivering a sublime cross to the onrushing buffalo, who, with a flourish of his head , sent the ball soaring into the net with all the grace of a virtuoso pianist striking the final chord of a symphony. Though much of the contest saw the Rams engaged in a valiant rearguard action, the stalwart trio of Cashin, Admirable Nelson, and the Dorian Gray-like Forsyth, aided by the cat-like reflexes of Wildsmith, formed an impenetrable bulwark against the relentless onslaught of their adversaries. With second place now firmly within their grasp, the Rams find themselves masters of their own fate, the jubilant cries of “Ebouuuuuuu” echoing like a chorus of angels as the final whistle heralds their triumph, accompanied by the joyous bounce of victory.

Dorian Gray-like Forsyth, 😂 l wonder where  he keeps his picture the one that shows him with two broken ACLs.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

14 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I have several P. G. Wodehouse books on my shelf which I bought and read after the fantastic Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. You have reminded me to go back and read them again. Brilliant, thank you.

Hideously off topic but who cares with today’s elation: I’m going to do exactly the same.  Great works.

51 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne just said Gayle’s injury is his hamstring. Barkhuizen and Ward both “sore” at half time so not wanting to take risks. 

Seems quite honest and grounded in his assessment, said he thought Bolton are right to think they deserved a point. Praised all the players, said he wanted to get CBT on but had ran out of subs which if those made for “soreness” couldn’t be avoided it makes sense. Acknowledged we rode our luck a little. Still 7 games to go so staying grounded. 

Young lad starting the bounce referred to as “little Collo” so Collins’ lad I guess.

Said the fans and atmosphere were great, set a standard they shouldn’t drop, amazed by all the flags and wants them there every week. 

Also just said “JJ was up here today and he’s maybe going to be fit by the end of the season”, if he’s still contracted to us we can use him right?!

I’m glad he mentioned CBT.  He’s looked very quick and with NML knackered near the end he could have had an impact.  I was disappointed that Elder came on instead of CBT - then Elder’s first contribution was a lovely corner for the goal;  so good job I’m not the manager!

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

We will get promoted from here. This past week the stars just aligned with the officiating against Reading and second best win over Bolton.

We’ll probably lose at Pompey, draw at Wycombe but we’ll win the rest and that will be enough.

We'll win at Pompey.

You heard it here first.

Actually, I'm pretty sure B4 said it first - and this is his year.

I was going to ask how did we play and did we deserve it. But, who give a f***. This league is renowned for being a tough one to get out of. We can say what we want about Warne. Including me I wanted him gone. No doubt about it I really really wanted him gone. But the team morale and character is immense. You can’t question the effort. It is a massive win and a brilliant day. Them 3 big saves from Joe will do him the world of good. Drink it in 🍻 

Edited by BuckoBeast

Just now, BuckoBeast said:

I was going to ask how did we play and did we deserve it. But, who give a f***. This league is renowned for being a tough one to get out of. We can say what we want about Warne. Including me I wanted him gone. No doubt about it I really really wanted him gone. But the team morale and character is immense. You can’t question the effort. It is a massive win and a brilliant day. Drink it in 🍻 

We played like the away team. PW and his mind games. We’re good away, so play like we’re away!

Soaked up all they had and sneaked a goal. Forsyth immense, Nelson and Cashin excellent, Ebou an inspiration.

Wildsmith made two astonishing saves.

Forwards were disappointing but we did enough.