Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Apart from the fact I don’t actually want Southgate gone and defended him after the World Cup, but you can carry on with that belief if you want. I don’t agree with some of his recent squad choices, but he’s England’s second best manager of all time and has more than proven himself.

I can’t do better than Warne, but I’m sure there’s a great number of managers who can. This squad should be challenging top 2, said that from the moment it was assembled in the summer. 7th place is not acceptable.

delusional-quad.gif

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

Another question for the ref, why did we have to wait for the 3 minutes of Ipswich goal celebrations for the second goal and wait for every player, including one who must have gone for a comfort break in the north stand toilets, before allowing us to make our last 2 substitutions? Normally, the subs quickly come on whilst the celebrations continue and unnoticed by the crowd.

I think that something needs to be done about these 'tactical' injuries, it's becoming a regular occurance throughout football, including Derby. Maybe, both teams outfield players need to be sent to the centre circle whilst a player receives attention? No chance for a manager to give a team talk and any captain's team talk will be overheard by the opposition.

Yes this is driving me nuts - the referee should just blow the whistle to carry on, if all the opposition players have left the pitch it’s their choice - I don’t pay money to watch an empty football pitch because the time is simply never added on.

8 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Excellent post about sums up my take on the game except I did not leave frustrated and angry with their fans but with ours for the last 20 minutes. For such a so called passionate fan base rather than get behind the team we just left in our droves. Not for the first time the fans in the South stand were out the earliest and quickest! Todays performance was much improved from Fleetwood and decisions and the run of the ball went against us at times against a very good team. Our team needed our support for the full 100 minutes but sadly were abandoned with about 20 still to play.

Yeah it wasn’t great especially on 70 minutes. Think there are some who feel entitled, some I think use it as a coping mechanism to process it quicker so as not to ruin the weekend. Sometimes it hurts too much to stay. I left about 92 mins as needed to get home as it was my daughters 4th birthday. 

As for getting behind them, the fans needed something to get behind. First half and after half time the fans were backing them, as soon as the second goal went in everyone the players and fans knew it was game over and what followed was pretty insipid, hard to get behind.

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What about the ref that gave us two soft pens….was he at the dentist when all the other refs had their zoom meeting with the EFL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Was that the Morecambe game? I don't think the pens were any more soft than all the ones awarded against us. And we won 5-0 anyway.

There were better than us for sure. Energy all over the pitch, good movement ,quality on the ball, as good a side we've seen at PP this season. Morsy had the freedom of PP. But, 1-1 and it's a different game. What the lino saw, I' ll never know. Commentary on ITV highlights says foul on the keeper and he is standing there on his line with no one around him. Terrible decision.

58 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yeah it wasn’t great especially on 70 minutes. Think there are some who feel entitled, some I think use it as a coping mechanism to process it quicker so as not to ruin the weekend. Sometimes it hurts too much to stay. I left about 92 mins as needed to get home as it was my daughters 4th birthday. 

As for getting behind them, the fans needed something to get behind. First half and after half time the fans were backing them, as soon as the second goal went in everyone the players and fans knew it was game over and what followed was pretty insipid, hard to get behind.

Agree. 

In the past couple of seasons we’ve rolled our sleeves up when it got tough.

Characters like Shinnie, Davies and Kazim Richards made sure everyone knuckled down.

We don’t have those characters now and we’ve become a bit sulky and sorry for ourselves.

The fans are going the same way.

11 hours ago, jono said:

All true, but having watched a season of it one wonders what those unimpeachable moral guardians at the EFL are saying to officials and clubs ? The level it is at, that I have observed, tells me it is being coached formally as part of the game. Not good enough .. if you can judge on amortisation then you can judge on this. 

Ahhh but - the refereeing rules already exist, whereas the amortisation rule was judged on 3 1/2 years before it existed.

9 hours ago, Minneapolis Town Tractor said:

What to add to this ?     All right, I'm sorry Derby didn't get the result you wanted.     Nothing disingenuous, I realize how frustrating this league is, how tough it is to get out and back to Championship league status.

If I may add, there seems little ambiguity that Derby are encountering problems as we speak.    I don't think you're promotion material right now.    The team is suffering too many setbacks, dropping too many points to feasibly challenge or worry the elite places.

From what I could ascertain your team had chances today.   A goal ruled out maybe, McGoldrick nearly scored - relief he didn't - and Walton made some important stops, but I got to be pleased with our character and determination in the eventual victory.

A few weeks back I and Ipswich were viewing the play-offs as eventual finish, a small chance of second place.     A series of odd defeats to other automatic promotion candidates has turned it on it's head and now the chance is there once again to go up automatically.  

Not saying we will, no season is finalized until the end kick of a final game but I got to be hopeful something now will really work for us and a certain accomplishment will be achieved by the end.    Sheffield W really making a mess of things also it would seem.  

So you are happy that your team, despite being probably the best footballing team in this league, base their game on cheating and foul play? Shame on you.

For the first 20 minutes from kick-off Woodhead did nothing than go around fouling the opposition with no action from the ref, which told the team you would get away with almost anything, which you did. Most of the cards shown to your players were for time-wasting. It made the ref look tough, yet he was actually as tough as cow poo because he let the time wasting continue. Falling to the floor like they had been hit by an Exocet missile, again knowing that getting the free-kick was virtually nailed on, rolling back on to the pitch after feigning injury, and refusing to go off when ordered to by the ref because he hadn’t got the balls to enforce it, and so the list goes on.

Best footballing side or not I cannot wish all the best because you should be promotion contenders because of tour football, not your cheating. 😡

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Think this is why David Clowes has told us promotion from div 1 is a 5 year project. I struggle to imagine how the fans would take another 4 seasons in this div 

Thats not quite what he said - he said 5 years to become "established" championship side not to be promoted.

the real fans would manage just fine

10 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Excellent post about sums up my take on the game except I did not leave frustrated and angry with their fans but with ours for the last 20 minutes. For such a so called passionate fan base rather than get behind the team we just left in our droves. Not for the first time the fans in the South stand were out the earliest and quickest! Todays performance was much improved from Fleetwood and decisions and the run of the ball went against us at times against a very good team. Our team needed our support for the full 100 minutes but sadly were abandoned with about 20 still to play.

You are totally correct re our fans. Was shocked when looked over at South Stand. As you say what happened to that twelfth man who made sure we have done impossible comebacks when it mattered so often over the last 2 or 3 years?
Get the football isnt great at times but how often has it been since 2019? It has often been totally dire esp under Cocu and Rooney but South Stand flourished.  Other stands can start songs but South Stand is the choirmaster. South Stand mostly if not all season tickets isnt it so particularly dont get it. All there for the "limbs" videos but what about the real support needed now to get us through the sticky patch. We sit as close to south stand as can in West for the atmosphere. 
Genuine question what has happened and dont say not good football as mentioned above?

58 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

There were better than us for sure. Energy all over the pitch, good movement ,quality on the ball, as good a side we've seen at PP this season. Morsy had the freedom of PP. But, 1-1 and it's a different game. What the lino saw, I' ll never know. Commentary on ITV highlights says foul on the keeper and he is standing there on his line with no one around him. Terrible decision.

If the reason for disallowing our goal was a foul on the keeper then we should have had a penalty for a push on Knight and in the first half the goalkeeper pushed McGoldrick when we had a corner. These refs have to be consistent. If the linesman gave a foul it was a guess whether a foul was committed but he must be thinking any guess decision must go against Derby so the officials have either been given a mandate or they just want to see Derby not succeed.

I’ll carry on making this point until I’m blue in the face because I just don’t get it, Louie Sibley is the last player to score a goal for us, won the game with a brace at Oxford, should’ve had a run of games in the 10 after that to help him put some form together. Yet here we are 3 games later and he’s back on scrap minutes as though it’s last season, coming on with 12 to go at 2 down and expecting him to change the game is a joke.
The last two games we’ve played well in patches with lots of possession without ever really creating anything, it’s been crying out for someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and start running at people and having shots from outside the box, Sibley has the ability to do that yet he’s sat twiddling his thumbs on the bench, he came on at bloody wing back last week and still created one of our best chances of the game. That midfield yesterday was severely lacking goals and creativity, at least Sibley will take risks and try things.

Edited by JustOneBiblicalKazim

Ipswich were cheats yesterday. Not dark arts, game management etc. just plain cheats.  
Game management is keeping the ball, playing safe, holding the ball in the corners to run the clock down. Cheating is to have two players go down no where near the play when the opposition build any sort of momentum. That’s what they did. Two players so the ref has to stop play. Cheating. Whether that’s player led, manager led or whatever. Cheating. I hope we make a proper conscious effort not to decide to follow that trend. 

Fans leaving early was very disappointing. I felt the atmosphere lifted after our disallowed goal but again it was quietened by a cheating Ipswich player going down on the touchline breaking the momentum. 

5 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If the reason for disallowing our goal was a foul on the keeper then we should have had a penalty for a push on Knight and in the first half the goalkeeper pushed McGoldrick when we had a corner. These refs have to be consistent. If the linesman gave a foul it was a guess whether a foul was committed but he must be thinking any guess decision must go against Derby so the officials have either been given a mandate or they just want to see Derby not succeed.

I don't buy this ref conspiracy engineered by the EFL against us. I just think the ref's aren't great at this level. In the same way that players quality go down, from the PL down So do the refs, so does the level of ref's. Simple as that. The best one this,season was the lady ref, but she's off to the Women's world cup in OZ.

Although I rarely contribute to this site, reading some of the post during the last week or so, I was compelled to:

I would like to think I am as passionate a supporter as anyone on this forum, but hopefully are a little more realistic and balanced in my thoughts.

Firstly, thank goodness we still have a Club to support! Only a last minute intervention from David Clowes saved us. He deserves our support and backing for evermore.

From having hardly any players at all, we rapidly accumulated a set of out of contract players, mostly very experienced but ageing on the whole. Well Liam during this time. We started the season with a team which couldn’t have been match fit and started ok but not as we would have hoped, soon falling back on the division leaders points wise with too many draws.

Our saviour decided to make a change by replacing out Temporary Manager with a serial Division One winner in Paul Warne and his team. Probably surprised us all, but we were not blessed with knowing the inside details of the club.

This brought about a change in style, some say “long ball”, I don’t agree. Players certainly got fitter, as demanded to play in the new manager’s style. Who can not support that?

An early Away win followed - rare indeed. Gradually results improved and a tremendous unbeaten run followed where most fans were happy with the style of football, which at times was exhilarating and everyone thinking at least Playoffs were guaranteed.

A few warning signs were there, injuries to Chesters and Davies, players playing unfamiliar roles, Knight/Smith/Sibley etc. McGoldrick a little injury prone but scoring bucket loads at home. Our squad was basically very small, either very young and inexperienced or ageing with great experienced. We were scoring goals and keeping clean sheets, rising up the league but still not really making headway on the leaders.  We started to play some of the leading teams and were all a little shocked at losing at Barnsley having trounced the in the cup. We’ve been in the doldrums since.

Reasons:

Defensively - we have been making mistakes and conceding some soft goals, penalties etc

Midfield - we haven’t got a tackler in there, even Smith, put in there occasionally to add steel, is pretty lightweight. We are getting outfought in there. Despite some silky skills messrs Bird, Hourihan & White are not aggressive or quick enough - circa Ipswich.

Forwards - apart from Dobbin, this is our most ageing part of the team and shows signs of tiredness. We lack pace up front to frighten defences.

Our squad size allows little scope for genuine quality changes.

The January transfer window was disappointing, in not getting at least one more striker (apparently broken promise).

The Manager has tried to remain upbeat in my opinion despite the players performing so well in part of games but slipping away in the remainder. 

The future - we still have a very good chance of making the playoffs - our next few games are all winnable, which will increase our currently low confidence. We also need a bit of luck which has currently deserted us (Ref decisions etc etc). 

Bearing in mind where we started from - potentially no club, 5 players etc - we all ought to count our blessings as to where we are - albeit a little disappointed not to have done better. Are we currently ready to get promoted - probably not. 

I am not expecting the EFL to move their stance on our financial situation thus allowing payment for transfers etc. Our punishment was for 2 years and don’t forget all those creditors who lost money.

I am looking forward to seeing what Paul Warne will do during the summer. He will surely add height, aggression, pace all over the pitch to be able to play the way he wishes. He said Ipswich were the blue print for getting out of Division One - despite a few dark arts - they were good - and if we can play like that I wouldn’t moan.

Summary - regardless of how we finish the season (hopefully well) , let’s all try to be realistic in our views and assessments. Paul Warne deserves the right to produce his own team over a year or so - and even if you can’t support him personally, the support David Clowes decision. He deserves it.

8 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Although I rarely contribute to this site, reading some of the post during the last week or so, I was compelled to:

I would like to think I am as passionate a supporter as anyone on this forum, but hopefully are a little more realistic and balanced in my thoughts.

Firstly, thank goodness we still have a Club to support! Only a last minute intervention from David Clowes saved us. He deserves our support and backing for evermore.

From having hardly any players at all, we rapidly accumulated a set of out of contract players, mostly very experienced but ageing on the whole. Well Liam during this time. We started the season with a team which couldn’t have been match fit and started ok but not as we would have hoped, soon falling back on the division leaders points wise with too many draws.

Our saviour decided to make a change by replacing out Temporary Manager with a serial Division One winner in Paul Warne and his team. Probably surprised us all, but we were not blessed with knowing the inside details of the club.

This brought about a change in style, some say “long ball”, I don’t agree. Players certainly got fitter, as demanded to play in the new manager’s style. Who can not support that?

An early Away win followed - rare indeed. Gradually results improved and a tremendous unbeaten run followed where most fans were happy with the style of football, which at times was exhilarating and everyone thinking at least Playoffs were guaranteed.

A few warning signs were there, injuries to Chesters and Davies, players playing unfamiliar roles, Knight/Smith/Sibley etc. McGoldrick a little injury prone but scoring bucket loads at home. Our squad was basically very small, either very young and inexperienced or ageing with great experienced. We were scoring goals and keeping clean sheets, rising up the league but still not really making headway on the leaders.  We started to play some of the leading teams and were all a little shocked at losing at Barnsley having trounced the in the cup. We’ve been in the doldrums since.

Reasons:

Defensively - we have been making mistakes and conceding some soft goals, penalties etc

Midfield - we haven’t got a tackler in there, even Smith, put in there occasionally to add steel, is pretty lightweight. We are getting outfought in there. Despite some silky skills messrs Bird, Hourihan & White are not aggressive or quick enough - circa Ipswich.

Forwards - apart from Dobbin, this is our most ageing part of the team and shows signs of tiredness. We lack pace up front to frighten defences.

The January transfer window was disappointing, in not getting at least one more striker (apparently broken promise).

The Manager has tried to remain upbeat in my opinion despite the players performing so well in part of games but slipping away in the remainder. 

The future - we still have a very good chance of making the playoffs - our next few games are all winnable, which will increase our currently low confidence. We also need a bit of luck which has currently deserted us (Ref decisions etc etc). 

Bearing in mind where we started from - potentially no club, 5 players etc - we all ought to count our blessings as to where we are - albeit a little disappointed not to have done better. Are we currently ready to get promoted - probably not. 

I am not expecting the EFL to move their stance on our financial situation thus allowing payment for transfers etc. Our punishment was for 2 years and don’t forget all those creditors who lost money.

I am looking forward to seeing what Paul Warne will do during the summer. He will surely add height, aggression, pace all over the pitch to be able to play the way he wishes. He said Ipswich were the blue print for getting out of Division One - despite a few dark arts - they were good - and if we can play like that I wouldn’t moan.

Summary - regardless of how we finish the season (hopefully well) , let’s all try to be realistic in our views and assessments. Paul Warne deserves the right to produce his own team over a year or so - and even if you can’t support him personally, the support David Clowes decision. He deserves it.

Please post more often

10 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Reasons:

Great post, Agree with all you have said here.