Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

Ah, been a long old while since I did one of these. They're a bit of an arse really, so I find it best to pick games we are unlikely to win and given what I've read today, we are unlikely to win ever again so the timing seems right to show willing.

Talking points from Posh match - Warne out, Clowes got it wrong, NML doesn't like people singing about his c***...

Truly burning issues, evidently, but fortunately we have until April Fool's Day to debate them, which seems entirely appropriate. 

COYR

31 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, been a long old while since I did one of these. They're a bit of an arse really, so I find it best to pick games we are unlikely to win and given what I've read today, we are unlikely to win ever again so the timing seems right to show willing.

Talking points from Posh match - Warne out, Clowes got it wrong, NML doesn't like people singing about his c***...

Truly burning issues, evidently, but fortunately we have until April Fool's Day to debate them, which seems entirely appropriate. 

COYR

Another defeat me thinks but then a few games possibly where we can get back on track 😁

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Smith   Forsyth   Cashin   Roberts

Knight   Bird

Barkhuizen   Sibley   Dobbin

McGoldrick

Subs: McGee, Rooney, White, Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, Springett, Collins

I do like the idea of giving that Bird, Knight and Sibley midfield a chance.

Sibley definitely gives us that goal threat we missed today, especially when McG drops deeper.

Knight back at RB for me. I thought Hourihane, Bird and White worked well against Posh.

Wildsmith

Knight        Forsyth     Cashin      Roberts

White       Bird     Hourihane

NML            McGoldrick          Dobbin

(McGee, Smith, Rooney, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Springett, Brown)

15 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Knight back at RB for me. I thought Hourihane, Bird and White worked well against Posh.

Wildsmith

Knight        Forsyth     Cashin      Roberts

White       Bird     Hourihane

NML            McGoldrick          Dobbin

(McGee, Smith, Rooney, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Springett, Brown)

Knight certainly does a huge amount of leg work at full back for Mendez Laing to stay further up which made him far more productive when they played together.  Just such a waste without his engine the other way.  Dobbin offers nothing for me, the two highlighted subs would start ahead of him for me and give him 20 minutes when defenders are tired and he may stretch things a bit.

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Knight certainly does a huge amount of leg work at full back for Mendez Laing to stay further up which made him far more productive when they played together.  Just such a waste without his engine the other way.  Dobbin offers nothing for me, the two highlighted subs would start ahead of him for me and give him 20 minutes when defenders are tired and he may stretch things a bit.

Yeah, wouldn't object to either of those options either. We can't play Sibley and White together though because I can't tell them apart.

10 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

COYR

Sorry to say buddy, but I reckon you've messed up big time!

Think you'll still be on Matchday Thread duty come the start of next season.  Can't believe you've fell for it!  🐏🍻

I'm opening myself out to criticism but sod it - I really don't understand all the hand-wringing about how with a week before the next game, the players are knackered/we have a small squad etc.

OK we have a few older players but if they can't play 60-70mins at full pelt that's a pretty poor show. We have decent-ish options off the bench and a huge crowd. No reason we can't go again and head into the play offs with low expectations and as good a chance as anyone. 

I like Warne's honesty. He can see what we are seeing, he's just not pretending he has the magic formula to put everything instantly right. I trust him to get it right, whether it's this season or next.

Before this week all the chat was about how it was Bird who would change things...there's never that simple an answer. We just need to 'trust in the process' as the modern-speak goes.

Wildsmith

Smith Cashin Forsyth Roberts

Knight Bird

Hourihane

NML  Sibley

Didzy

White has to start next game. He was the best player. Knight will come back in, personally I’d take Hourihane out but doubt he’ll do that so maybe Bird will be sacrificed.

Wildsmith 

Rooney       Cashin          Forsyth      Roberts

Bird

White         Knight 

Mendez-Laing   McGoldrick     Sibley

But Barkhuizen will probably play instead of Sibley, Smith for Rooney and Hourihane will feature somewhere.

I think the midfield could be our white knight this season!!

Wildsmith 

Rooney       Forsyth        Cashin        Roberts

Bird (C)           White 

Knight                   Sibley                   Dobbin

Mcgoldrick 

Subs- McGee, Davies, Smith, Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, Collins

- Some players are clearly knackered so we need to actually rotate the team, Rooney and Sibley have both been massively under-utilised.

- Feels like Sibley’s the fall guy again despite him winning us the game at Oxford, needed a run of games in the 10 following that but he’s played 45 minutes there since.

- White’s performance in the last game warrants another start, looks comfortable on the ball.

- We have a squad that suits playing passing football on the floor, so let’s play to our strengths, get Bird and White on the ball and stop sending long balls up to Mcgoldrick in the air where he won’t win it.