Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

spoke to my friend who's a Charlton STH and when i said promotion maybe too much too early for us he said, once you stay down in League1 for more than a season it seems to engulf you and then you're a league 1 club and very difficult to get out of....makes sense looking at other big teams who've gone down and spent  seasons there, so for me , I don't care how we get there but lets just get to the play offs first, then 3 big games and lets get the f out of this league!!

...I think we can do it ....still 

14 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Excellent post about sums up my take on the game except I did not leave frustrated and angry with their fans but with ours for the last 20 minutes. For such a so called passionate fan base rather than get behind the team we just left in our droves. Not for the first time the fans in the South stand were out the earliest and quickest! Todays performance was much improved from Fleetwood and decisions and the run of the ball went against us at times against a very good team. Our team needed our support for the full 100 minutes but sadly were abandoned with about 20 still to play.

Were you singing for the whole game? Or is that just down to the south stand?

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? The defence could be the same - Wildsmith, Smith, Fozzy, Cashin, Sibs/Roberts. The midfield isn't really struggling and now we have a fit Knighty. Where we are struggling is our main wingers and an inability to get forward without playing from out wide it seems. Oh and Collins is back to being a non-striker again.

Fozzys legs have definetoey gone. Being left footed at right side the pad from Peterborough turned him one way and he couldn’t get going and fell over. Great season from Him but he has definetoey shaded the last couple of games which doesn’t help him that cashins dropped in form as well 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I was a bit gobsmacked when Smith was awarded MOTM at the ground yesterday. Thought he was partly responsible for both of their goals, regardless of how well he played in the rest of the game. 

I was screaming at him for their second, he was just watching rather than busting a gut to get back. When he did finally sprint he got almost up to their player, if he'd done it earlier he'd have been in a position to clean up that rebound.

My point entirely

44 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Fozzys legs have definetoey gone. Being left footed at right side the pad from Peterborough turned him one way and he couldn’t get going and fell over. Great season from Him but he has definetoey shaded the last couple of games which doesn’t help him that cashins dropped in form as well 

Didn't look like his legs had gone previous game 2nd half he was storming forwards, and a bit of that yesterday. He was the best defender yesterday and the previous match.

4 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

I hope Ipswich get automatic and we get in the play offs. I don't fancy playing them in the play offs because they are better than us. 

I have been critical of Warne, his team selections and tactics. But yesterday i don't think it would have made any difference,  Warne made 5 subs and not a scrap of difference. Ipswich were still better than us. 

To expect the substitutions to make an improvement assume Warne has good ideas about tactics and formation and picking players to suit. Selections for the last few matches seem rather random and when did his substitutions make a difference  - only rarely.

4 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

Unless the EFL lift their restrictions on us then next season won’t be any better. We will lose players and can only add journeymen or youth players. If we did get up to the Championship it would  be a difficult season for us.

Where does this myth come from? Last season our recruitment started far later than all other teams because of the takeover situation. This season we have a dedicated recruitment person if not team, and a manager in place who will be working with the clubs staff to identify players.
Not all players with expiring contracts are journeymen as has been expressed elsewhere on the forum, there will be plenty of capable players leaving clubs for a new challenge or for a better deal or because their current club’s manager doesn’t see them as part of their plans for whatever reason (Wildsmith is a good example of that from this season). The key thing is whether we can compete on wages and selling the club to some of those players. It appears we can offer decent wages to a point, so someone at champ level leaving a lower placed team might fancy joining us, or someone at leagues one or two level might be tempted by an upgraded contract, training facilities and stadium at a “big club”.

I agree with your sentiment that we may not be as competitive as other teams until the restrictions are gone, but not that we’ll only sign journeyman or youth this time around. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

I was there for the whole game and clapped them off for a much improved performance. Yes I join in the singing though the North stand is not known as being the vocal heart however the South stand is! So it is disappointing that 2/3rds upped and left. 
last year our home support was exceptional and the best I have known for a long time despite the circumstances. Unfortunately that bubble appears to have burst just when the team needs it the most. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

To expect the substitutions to make an improvement assume Warne has good ideas about tactics and formation and picking players to suit. Selections for the last few matches seem rather random and when did his substitutions make a difference  - only rarely.

It just feels like throw the same four players on each week.

had no idea what the shape was supposed to be after the subs yesterday.

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

No its not but since the away fans moved the South Stand is the heart of match day especially during the troubled seasons. Anyone sitting (standing!) there should be incredibly proud of what it does on matchdays. But yesterday many left that stand really early not a couple of minutes and it noticeably hasnt been as loud for the last few matches.  As someone who sits as close to south stand as possible as I love the buzz but who cant stand up all match, I'd be really interested for anyone who sits there's take on it. 

If we go up I have no doubts we stay up then build from there.  People seemed terrified to go up to the premier league as we'd get beat all the time .  Now we need another season in this league as the championship is the place we'll get beat all the time .  I can't cope.  I don't want to spend anymore time in a league we are only in due to a points deduction.  It's s****. 

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

.... who also had hold of the defender. A case of 6 and 2 threes that I wouldn't give when reffing.

Forsyth was also sandwiched by two of their players and prevented from attacking the cross. They were also fouling 3 of our players at the corner that immediately preceded the one that we "scored" from.

It's not too much to ask the officials to spot one of those fouls at least if they can manage to spot one that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

No its not but since the away fans moved the South Stand is the heart of match day especially during the troubled seasons. Anyone sitting (standing!) there should be incredibly proud of what it does on matchdays. But yesterday many left that stand really early not a couple of minutes and it noticeably hasnt been as loud for the last few matches.  As someone who sits as close to south stand as possible as I love the buzz but who cant stand up all match, I'd be really interested for anyone who sits there's take on it. 

Obviously its something that is probably easier for folk in other stands to see but yesterday even I noticed a lot of empty seats immediately behind me in South Stand with several minutes of normal time to go and it was so noticeable that I pointed it out to the mates I sit with.

I thought the noise level was generally reasonable 2nd given the way the game was going and it inevitably hit a peak with some of the decisions by the officials but yet, it finished pretty flat. I really don't think the endless 2nd half substitutions help things. You get any kind of momentum going and someone on the opposition 'gets cramp' or whatever and then as soon as they are on their feet someone is subbed. Also, why do they do that one at a time and it almost seems like we're waiting for the announcer to do their bit? Just hold the board up, wave 'em all on and then let the announcer summarise the changes.

9 hours ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

I’ll carry on making this point until I’m blue in the face because I just don’t get it, Louie Sibley is the last player to score a goal for us, won the game with a brace at Oxford, should’ve had a run of games in the 10 after that to help him put some form together. Yet here we are 3 games later and he’s back on scrap minutes as though it’s last season, coming on with 12 to go at 2 down and expecting him to change the game is a joke.
The last two games we’ve played well in patches with lots of possession without ever really creating anything, it’s been crying out for someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and start running at people and having shots from outside the box, Sibley has the ability to do that yet he’s sat twiddling his thumbs on the bench, he came on at bloody wing back last week and still created one of our best chances of the game. That midfield yesterday was severely lacking goals and creativity, at least Sibley will take risks and try things.

A thousand times this. Warne is running out of games to get it right. I hope it's not stubbornness, but managers do often try to overcomplicate things to somehow prove themselves cleverer than the fans. We need to create more and score more and we'll clearly do that if we put our faith in Louie Sibley as an attacking midfielder. Choose not to do it and I'm not now sure we'll get back into the playoff positions, having dropped out.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A thousand times this. Warne is running out of games to get it right. I hope it's not stubbornness, but managers do often try to overcomplicate things to somehow prove themselves cleverer than the fans. We need to create more and score more and we'll clearly do that if we put our faith in Louie Sibley as an attacking midfielder. Choose not to do it and I'm not now sure we'll get back into the playoff positions, having dropped out.

The annoying thing is he puts his faith in Dobbin, he's given him so many more chances to create/score. But at this level (for starters) why not Sibbo?!

Once the second goal went in the game was over. The players knew it, you could see it in their body language. The crowd knew it. I think people are just frustrated at how it's all gone in the last few games. 

I'm at the higher end of the south stand and it can take a good 20 minutes to get out of the stand and into the concourse if you stay to the end. Yesterday I was straight out, almost felt like I should turn off the lights.