Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Referee was poor but it was not a reasonable penalty shout on Knight and he is not going to be getting many decisions go his way if he continues diving trying to con referees. 

If we want officials to be consistent then at least lets be consistent ourselves in calling out blatant cheating?

Agreed. But that should include whichever team we are playing because they all do it way, way better than we do.

12 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Although I rarely contribute to this site, reading some of the post during the last week or so, I was compelled to:

I would like to think I am as passionate a supporter as anyone on this forum, but hopefully are a little more realistic and balanced in my thoughts.

Firstly, thank goodness we still have a Club to support! Only a last minute intervention from David Clowes saved us. He deserves our support and backing for evermore.

From having hardly any players at all, we rapidly accumulated a set of out of contract players, mostly very experienced but ageing on the whole. Well Liam during this time. We started the season with a team which couldn’t have been match fit and started ok but not as we would have hoped, soon falling back on the division leaders points wise with too many draws.

Our saviour decided to make a change by replacing out Temporary Manager with a serial Division One winner in Paul Warne and his team. Probably surprised us all, but we were not blessed with knowing the inside details of the club.

This brought about a change in style, some say “long ball”, I don’t agree. Players certainly got fitter, as demanded to play in the new manager’s style. Who can not support that?

An early Away win followed - rare indeed. Gradually results improved and a tremendous unbeaten run followed where most fans were happy with the style of football, which at times was exhilarating and everyone thinking at least Playoffs were guaranteed.

A few warning signs were there, injuries to Chesters and Davies, players playing unfamiliar roles, Knight/Smith/Sibley etc. McGoldrick a little injury prone but scoring bucket loads at home. Our squad was basically very small, either very young and inexperienced or ageing with great experienced. We were scoring goals and keeping clean sheets, rising up the league but still not really making headway on the leaders.  We started to play some of the leading teams and were all a little shocked at losing at Barnsley having trounced the in the cup. We’ve been in the doldrums since.

Reasons:

Defensively - we have been making mistakes and conceding some soft goals, penalties etc

Midfield - we haven’t got a tackler in there, even Smith, put in there occasionally to add steel, is pretty lightweight. We are getting outfought in there. Despite some silky skills messrs Bird, Hourihan & White are not aggressive or quick enough - circa Ipswich.

Forwards - apart from Dobbin, this is our most ageing part of the team and shows signs of tiredness. We lack pace up front to frighten defences.

Our squad size allows little scope for genuine quality changes.

The January transfer window was disappointing, in not getting at least one more striker (apparently broken promise).

The Manager has tried to remain upbeat in my opinion despite the players performing so well in part of games but slipping away in the remainder. 

The future - we still have a very good chance of making the playoffs - our next few games are all winnable, which will increase our currently low confidence. We also need a bit of luck which has currently deserted us (Ref decisions etc etc). 

Bearing in mind where we started from - potentially no club, 5 players etc - we all ought to count our blessings as to where we are - albeit a little disappointed not to have done better. Are we currently ready to get promoted - probably not. 

I am not expecting the EFL to move their stance on our financial situation thus allowing payment for transfers etc. Our punishment was for 2 years and don’t forget all those creditors who lost money.

I am looking forward to seeing what Paul Warne will do during the summer. He will surely add height, aggression, pace all over the pitch to be able to play the way he wishes. He said Ipswich were the blue print for getting out of Division One - despite a few dark arts - they were good - and if we can play like that I wouldn’t moan.

Summary - regardless of how we finish the season (hopefully well) , let’s all try to be realistic in our views and assessments. Paul Warne deserves the right to produce his own team over a year or so - and even if you can’t support him personally, the support David Clowes decision. He deserves it.

I tend to agree with your observations. Promotion this season was always going to be a tall order, so being in and around the play offs at this stage is a fair achievement. Next season, Warne will probably be able to 'beg, steal or borrow' players with the physicality and energy to suit his style of play. We can then hopefully move up a few gears and push for a top 3 or 4 position in this league. 

On 02/04/2023 at 08:24, DavesaRam said:

Ahhh but - the refereeing rules already exist, whereas the amortisation rule was judged on 3 1/2 years before it existed.

So in 3-1/2 years time Didsy will get a goal added to his career tally and players will get retrospective yellow cards ? Is that how it works 🤣

19 hours ago, CBRammette said:

No its not but since the away fans moved the South Stand is the heart of match day especially during the troubled seasons. Anyone sitting (standing!) there should be incredibly proud of what it does on matchdays. But yesterday many left that stand really early not a couple of minutes and it noticeably hasnt been as loud for the last few matches.  As someone who sits as close to south stand as possible as I love the buzz but who cant stand up all match, I'd be really interested for anyone who sits there's take on it. 

Just looking at the highlights, this is grabbed from when their 2nd goal went in (couldn't find a wider view), so that was about 15 mins plus time added on and at that point it was obviously still only 1-0 so even just from this limited view, there's a lot of empty seats for an area that in theory is sold out. I know some of the young guys sometimes move around from allocated seats but if it is in any way representative of the whole stand then that's some big gaps for a game that was still in the balance. Did you get the impression that these people were there at the start but left during the 2nd half ? As you say, it wasn't like this was the last throws of the game with the result already decided.

image.png.19ece0a3f6ece883c88cdcd8cd786643.png

18 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Just looking at the highlights, this is grabbed from when their 2nd goal went in (couldn't find a wider view), so that was about 15 mins plus time added on and at that point it was obviously still only 1-0 so even just from this limited view, there's a lot of empty seats for an area that in theory is sold out. I know some of the young guys sometimes move around from allocated seats but if it is in any way representative of the whole stand then that's some big gaps for a game that was still in the balance. Did you get the impression that these people were there at the start but left during the 2nd half ? As you say, it wasn't like this was the last throws of the game with the result already decided.

This was a similar view in the first half and it doesn't seem very full to me.16805239647446957284032566022124.thumb.jpg.63447d7550f049cd7fc9b380dd470d06.jpg

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

It’s just a part of the stadium that never sells very well when it’s not over 30,000. I presume it’s not the best of views from there

On 02/04/2023 at 11:18, StrawHillRam said:

Promotion via the Play-offs this season isn’t going to happen. We might scrape into 6th, but we then have to get results over 3 games against teams that are better than us.
Unless the EFL lift their restrictions on us then next season won’t be any better. We will lose players and can only add journeymen or youth players. If we did get up to the Championship it would  be a difficult season for us.

I reckon we might have a chance the season after next, when we can start on a level playing field again.

Hard to accept but probably true . If you were one of our players would you fancy another season on the same money against some p poor teams . Or be thrust into a relegation battle in front of 30,000 fans getting pelters every home game.

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Hard to accept but probably true . If you were one of our players would you fancy another season on the same money against some p poor teams . Or be thrust into a relegation battle in front of 30,000 fans getting pelters every home game.

It always amuses me that you see players celebrating promotion, especially in the play off finals, knowing that most of them will be unlikely to be in that team the following season.

Of course if I actually answer the original question re South not North Stand... South Stand at 76 mins when they score looks pretty much full. I guess the exodus happened after that. It was probably 7 or 8 mins of normal time to go when I noticed significant gaps around me. There were certainly several largish blocks or seats in the centre and right of the goal that seem to have been abandoned. I guess lots of folks just felt really deflated after it looked like we were going to make a game of it. I guess folks pay their money and its their call.
image.png.43fc9a189d92222fedb9fd7eca729cb1.png

As a matter of interest, what is our actual realistic capacity these days? The stated capacity is obviously never hit due to security measures and segregation but how many do we lose from that ? There are certain blocks in North and North East that seem slow to sell but it rarely looks like more than a few hundred unless its midweek. Obviously there will always be a proportion of people who can't attend due to illness or bad planning or whatever.

3 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

This was a similar view in the first half and it doesn't seem very full to me.16805239647446957284032566022124.thumb.jpg.63447d7550f049cd7fc9b380dd470d06.jpg

That's the North Stand, isn't it?

47 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It always amuses me that you see players celebrating promotion, especially in the play off finals, knowing that most of them will be unlikely to be in that team the following season.

There would be several reasons for that. The natural feeling of winning a final at Wembley, the hard work of an entire season boiled down to one game. The after-parties, and lets not forget the likely 20%+ increase in wages from promotion clauses/bonuses.

Being a player in a higher league, even if you’re a bit-part player, comes with so many benefits.

Even those who barely get a game at Forest this season are earning far more than average Championship players (which they were a year ago).

I think back to our 2013-14 side which should have been promoted. 

Half of that team would have gone on to have PL careers had we gone up. Even if Derby were relegated the following season. And the wage increases too. Huge.

Edited by Bris Vegas

On 02/04/2023 at 17:08, CBRammette said:

No its not but since the away fans moved the South Stand is the heart of match day especially during the troubled seasons. Anyone sitting (standing!) there should be incredibly proud of what it does on matchdays. But yesterday many left that stand really early not a couple of minutes and it noticeably hasnt been as loud for the last few matches.  As someone who sits as close to south stand as possible as I love the buzz but who cant stand up all match, I'd be really interested for anyone who sits there's take on it. 

I'm in D block at the top of the stand and we sing for most of the match, but it has been a battle to get others to join in this season. 

From where we are it sounds quite loud,  but we look around and there is probably only around 100 who go for it for the whole game unless we are playing really well. 

35 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm in D block at the top of the stand and we sing for most of the match, but it has been a battle to get others to join in this season. 

From where we are it sounds quite loud,  but we look around and there is probably only around 100 who go for it for the whole game unless we are playing really well. 

Yes you could hear your section through the match and as you say others didnt join in much. Agree with what someone else said about all timewasting/subs/"injuries" etc does dampen crowd as well as our play

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The startling thing is Wigan being allowed a £13m wage bill despite being under a business plan...

Interesting to see Sunderland’s wage bill in their promotion season compared to their first season in League One.

They halved it and got better.

Shows how much crap they were stuck with.