Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

And we must've conceded more goals from our corners than we've actually scored.  Talk about not learning lessons .

For all the talk of wanting to be strong on set pieces, we almost never score from corners.

And sometimes we get help not scoring from them.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Hope you and Wednesday go up automatically. I think the thinness of our squad is proving costly. We can’t spend 1 mill on players like you. Think we will just miss out. My first ever 🐏 game was away at Ipswich in 1976, we were Champions, won 6-2 and saw Frannie Lee play his last ever game 😁👍

What a great day that was! 

The ref made some very strange decisions.  One was effectively giving a drop ball for an alleged foul, and giving the goal keeper the ball after one of their players went down “injured”.  It was simply a Derby throw and should have left it to Derby to make the sportsmanship call.  Or am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Just seen the highlights, nothing wrong with the goal, would have been a different game if it stood

No it would have been the same game but we'd have been level at a certain point 

Being level wouldn't have changed Warne's one trick pony approach and it's likely that Ipswich would have just found another gear and gone on and scored more anyway.

12 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The challenge from Rooney was the end of a several-yards tussle for the ball with both doing their fair share of wrestling, and Rooney throwing the Ipswich guy off and to the floor. That's all. Possibly frustration on Rooney's part because by then Ipswich had been pulling, shoving and tripping and getting away with it, but with free-kicks given against Derby players at the first opportunity. McGoldrick's hefty challenge was actually a fair challenge and got the ball just after he had been simply charged into with no attempt to play the ball. Sadly the ref saw it as retaliation, and as ever couldn't wait to get the card out. Your two players going down like they had been shot by a sniper just as Derby were getting a hold on the game, and orchestrated by your keeper, was shameful. As was the player who got "injured" on the touchline (Woodhead I believe, so no surprise there), but rolled himself back onto the pitch to stop the game. All hell broke loose because it was blatantly obvious what your lot were up to, with Derby demanding the ref took action, and the ref not having the balls to actually do anything against Ipswich players. Maybe his bung was performance related? Or the aforementioned two players going down injured and should have gone off the pitch before being signalled back on by the ref, but who actually never left the pitch. And one of your players was about to be subbed and left the pitch behind the Derby goal, tearing off his tapes and tie-ups as he went, while signalling to the ref that he was being subbed. But when the subbing didn't happen, he simply came back onto the pitch, without being signalled to by the ref, which is a bookable offence. Did the ref waive a yellow card? Not a chance.

As I said in another response, I can't stand teams who get their success through skulduggery, especially when they good enough to get success by actually playing football. Shame on you.

Rooney stopped the guy continuing the attack. Didzy was never going to get the ball fairly.

15 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

No it would have been the same game but we'd have been level at a certain point 

Being level wouldn't have changed Warne's one trick pony approach and it's likely that Ipswich would have just found another gear and gone on and scored more anyway.

Can’t agree.  So you don’t think that would have been a pivotal moment?  Odd I feel.

I take it you are not a fan of Warne then?!

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

There was a lot of stroppy people leaving on 75 mins in the SW Upper today, including one stone island clad individual letting everyone know what an embarrassment our club is, losing to Fleetwood (had he been locked in the ground for two weeks?). 

Couldn't understand the ground emptying when we knew there would be a big chunk of added time, What happened to we fight till the end? Thought both the fans and the players gave up far to soon

22 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

The ref made some very strange decisions.  One was effectively giving a drop ball for an alleged foul, and giving the goal keeper the ball after one of their players went down “injured”.  It was simply a Derby throw and should have left it to Derby to make the sportsmanship call.  Or am I wrong?

Wasn't the first one because the pass before the challenge had deflected off the ref so he dropped it back yo the team who were in possession?

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wasn't the first one because the pass before the challenge had deflected off the ref so he dropped it back yo the team who were in possession?

Maybe, I might have missed that…

17 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Can’t agree.  So you don’t think that would have been a pivotal moment?  Odd I feel.

I take it you are not a fan of Warne then?!

Can't agree is fine. We don't have to, and no disrespect is meant.

But no I don't believe it would have been pivotal because I have NEVER seen Warne adopt a different srategy, mentality, tactic or whatever  to counter  the opposition or to react t the situation in the game at hand. It's just like for like changes and hoping that the replacement players do better than those going off 

We had 5 subs today over 3 windows and we did not do a f****** thing to take advantage over the qualities of those brought on we just continued to flog a dead tactical horse.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, JJs dms said:

Couldn't understand the ground emptying when we knew there would be a big chunk of added time, What happened to we fight till the end? Thought both the fans and the players gave up far to soon

Well, they were 3 minutes celebrating their first goal, not to mention 2 minutes of players going down with fake injuries, plus the thrower being booked for time-wasting plus him signalling to the goalkeeper to get on with it twice. Added up they gave 3 minutes for that.

So  I reckon with that level of mathematical genius, another goal celebration, booking for time-wasting, guy rolling round on touchline in agony  plus a parade of well-timed 'slow the game down' substitutions most fans presumed they'd be deducting a few minutes from the 90  rather than giving some back!

As it happens, they must have substituted the timekeeper too  who added on a decent whack. Really painful to watch them play out when the game had gone completely flat.

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? The defence could be the same - Wildsmith, Smith, Fozzy, Cashin, Sibs/Roberts. The midfield isn't really struggling and now we have a fit Knighty. Where we are struggling is our main wingers and an inability to get forward without playing from out wide it seems. Oh and Collins is back to being a non-striker again.

Yes, Roy. I feel the same. I’d say though that midfield is struggling. Hourihan is drifting back to being the aging stylish gentleman footballer while Bird is slow off the mark and too prone to trying clever dinks instead of precise on the floor passes

1 minute ago, jono said:

Yes, Roy. I feel the same. I’d say though that midfield is struggling. Hourihan is drifting back to being the aging stylish gentleman footballer while Bird is slow off the mark and too prone to trying clever dinks instead of precise on the floor passes

Bird is still getting up to speed after injury, not helped by the messing around with the midfield. And I actually thought that Hourihane put himself about in the first half of the previous game before Warne took him off - spot a new pattern? Hourihane and Sibs on or off for Bird and a.n.other 

One, of many things, I’ve learnt about League 1 is that it’s important to get in the officials head as well as the opposition. Case in point is their keeper making a big deal about being fouled on the corner before the disallowed goal. Ipswich were good at it, niggly fouls, making a meal out of any contact, complaining about everything when they are fouling just as much. Don’t blame that for it by the way, it’s gamesmanship, but we are frankly terrible at it.