Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Does anyone know why our goal was disallowed?

Yes. For a foul on their goalkeeper. By whom no-one knows, and the lino has apologised for the error. Sadly, as i said in a reply to "EFL View" apologies don't get us into the play-offs. 

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

This is a team playing at a level where plumbers and electricians can make a bit of money on the side, whilst our midfielder heads out on international duty to start against France. 

My expectation was to avoid this side being the worst in our club’s history, but this past month has put us bang in trouble of that accolade. We are currently 7th which is joint level with our lowest ever professional finish, all I want to do is avoid that - given the talent and the wages paid out in comparison to the rest of the division that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. 

Absolute nonsense. 

There's no plumbers, sparkys or hod carriers earning a bit on the side at this level. 

One of our midfielders plays International football, two of Ipswichs have played in World Cups.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What isn't clear is after Warne finding a way to be unbeaten for 16(?) games on the trot why try what he's doing today?

Because these players can’t last more than 45 to 60 minutes without blowing a gasket. Look at any clips from Rotherham last season and this team is as far away from his type of team in all fairness. His team is more of Barnsley and Ipswich who today were fitter sharper more athletic and had a core squad of players from 22 to 30 in their prime. We either have inexperience school kids or the oaps who can’t hack a full game. Beating in mind both teams have played the same games the same with Peterborough and Plymouth who has more in the tank compared to us. Granted we didn’t have a full pre season. 

I see a high turnover in the summer of the rules get relaxed and I’m not saying we are going to pay loads of money but expect about 8 players in in the 22 to 30 bracket with a bird and cashin sold to manoeuvre in the window 

Edited by Barney1991

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Wildsmith - doesn’t look overly confident of late 

Rooney - did ok 

Cashin - lucky to still be selected every week because he is making to many mistakes as well as being bossed today by the centre forward

Forsyth - tends to be trying to do everyone’s jobs 

mendiz - doesn’t like playing wing back 

Roberts - did ok 

Bird - didn’t do a lot 

smith - did ok 

Knight - you tell he played vs France this week 

Collins - nothing worth mentioning 

McGoldrick - played well but missed a sitter 

subs - they don’t improve us do they !

Collins ... You were asleep for his cross across the box close in ?? McGoldrick could have scored.

1 hour ago, Justa said:

Just got back from the game - that was the result I expected before the game started.

After 20 mins I feared it would be a lot worse than that. The team tried but we lost to a better team simple as!

They have had the same manager for 18 months and strengthened in several transfer windows - during which they have spent a considerable amount of money. 

No disgrace for us at all today, it’s disappointing but hardly surprising!

The same manager for 18 months?!?! What is this nonsense lol

And this is why i crave stability in the management department

lets give a manager some time and t windows to actually shape a squad 

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

It was because they were miles better than us at 0 0 and after the goal were easily able to keep us at arm's length.  If we did that to a top 6 side away from home we would rightly be saying what a good job we had done.

So keeping us at harms length is time wasting ? Is rolling around on the floor, they offered nothing else 

17 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Because these players can’t last more than 45 to 60 minutes without blowing a gasket. Look at any clips from Rotherham last season and this team is as far away from his type of team in all fairness. His team is more of Barnsley and Ipswich who today were fitter sharper more athletic and had a core squad of players from 22 to 30 in their prime. We either have inexperience school kids or the oaps who can’t hack a full game. Beating in mind both teams have played the same games the same with Peterborough and Plymouth who has more in the tank compared to us. Granted we didn’t have a full pre season. 

I see a high turnover in the summer of the rules get relaxed and I’m not saying we are going to pay loads of money but expect about 8 players in in the 22 to 30 bracket with a bird and cashin sold to manoeuvre in the window 

Why? The defence could be the same - Wildsmith, Smith, Fozzy, Cashin, Sibs/Roberts. The midfield isn't really struggling and now we have a fit Knighty. Where we are struggling is our main wingers and an inability to get forward without playing from out wide it seems. Oh and Collins is back to being a non-striker again.

its turning into a long old season & the worst part is it was so predictable today.

two teams in the bottom 6 coming up, we need 6 points from those games or start planning for a trip to carsile next season.

22 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

been saying it all season, said it in pre season and i got shot down for it. either people want to ignore or they dont realise how difficult it is to complete 90 mins regularly in your 30s. 

it was plainly obvious this would become a problem, i thought it would happen over the xmas period but a few months delayed. 

if players in their 30s could complete full 90s regularly nobody would sign players under 30 

From 20 minutes in to half time, we suffocated them and created a couple of good chances. But that's it, one deflected cross and Didzy missing a sitter. The rest of the game there was a gap a mile wide between the midfield and the strikers and we were pumping the ball over the top for two men who would take a week to finish the 100m.

How many times do we have to concede on the counter before Warne acknowledges that end-to-end football doesn't work with a squad as slow as ours? I actually facepalm when I hear him say he doesn't mind being caught on the break.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Personally, no. I don’t see the point in giving Warne a long term deal and pushing him out before he’s had a chance to build his own team.

I do think not making the play-offs would put him under pressure though.

He would have to get the summer window right and start next season well and show signs of the team evolving.

Agree.

1 minute ago, NorwichExile said:

From 20 minutes in to half time, we suffocated them and created a couple of good chances. But that's it, one deflected cross and Didzy missing a sitter. The rest of the game there was a gap a mile wide between the midfield and the strikers and we were pumping the ball over the top for two men who would take a week to finish the 100m.

How many times do we have to concede on the counter before Warne acknowledges that end-to-end football doesn't work with a squad as slow as ours? I actually facepalm when I hear him say he doesn't mind being caught on the break.

did he say that? where is the quote

3 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

And we must've conceded more goals from our corners than we've actually scored.  Talk about not learning lessons .

Just seen the highlights, nothing wrong with the goal, would have been a different game if it stood.  Pretty mad about that.

You can see why Ipswich are doing well in this league, they can play football and can also play nasty and dirty.  The time wasting was disappointing though.

We let ourselves down in the last ten minutes, the same old passing left, then right, then left again, and then right again ad nauseam when we need a goal.

Ref lost control of the game at times.

We didn’t play badly, just not good enough against stronger opposition I thought.

1 hour ago, EFL View said:

Haha fair enough for not wanting us to go up! I think it will all hinge on our away games at Barnsley and Peterborough. 

No idea about the goal, will have to watch it again but struggled to find a clear infringement at the time.

We were definitely guilty of timewasting throughout much of the game, especially second half. Not sure the lack of fair play was all one way though; the challenges from Rooney, Smith and McGoldrick (as much as I loved him at Town) were quite ugly and cynical. 

The challenge from Rooney was the end of a several-yards tussle for the ball with both doing their fair share of wrestling, and Rooney throwing the Ipswich guy off and to the floor. That's all. Possibly frustration on Rooney's part because by then Ipswich had been pulling, shoving and tripping and getting away with it, but with free-kicks given against Derby players at the first opportunity. McGoldrick's hefty challenge was actually a fair challenge and got the ball just after he had been simply charged into with no attempt to play the ball. Sadly the ref saw it as retaliation, and as ever couldn't wait to get the card out. Your two players going down like they had been shot by a sniper just as Derby were getting a hold on the game, and orchestrated by your keeper, was shameful. As was the player who got "injured" on the touchline (Woodhead I believe, so no surprise there), but rolled himself back onto the pitch to stop the game. All hell broke loose because it was blatantly obvious what your lot were up to, with Derby demanding the ref took action, and the ref not having the balls to actually do anything against Ipswich players. Maybe his bung was performance related? Or the aforementioned two players going down injured and should have gone off the pitch before being signalled back on by the ref, but who actually never left the pitch. And one of your players was about to be subbed and left the pitch behind the Derby goal, tearing off his tapes and tie-ups as he went, while signalling to the ref that he was being subbed. But when the subbing didn't happen, he simply came back onto the pitch, without being signalled to by the ref, which is a bookable offence. Did the ref waive a yellow card? Not a chance.

As I said in another response, I can't stand teams who get their success through skulduggery, especially when they good enough to get success by actually playing football. Shame on you.