Derby County v Bristol Rovers Saturday 29 October 2022

Gritstone Ram

16 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

It's a great response to a poor run of results and performances.

We really do have to stick with this, ain't going to be pretty at times given the large difference in tactics.

The lack of control over the game is still concerning but hopefully that will come when the tactics are more embedded.

Plus all those saying Bird and Hourihane can't play together... They can ONLY play together it seems!

2 sloppy goals conceded but thought we controlled the 2nd half really well..never felt they were going to get back into it.

lose 2 "i just can't see how this can ever get better, sack the manager, board out, execute the squad after forcing them to dig their own graves"

Win 2 "I cannot see how we can ever lose a game ever again, freedom of the city for everyone, we're premier league ready"

<repeat until finishing the season 8-10th>

Just got home...

So, let's just re-cap on this afternoons game...

WTF just happened?  ?‍♂️

Collins:  Best performance thus far.
DMcG:  Same, but with the added bonus of being absolutely clinical.  BOOM (x 3).
NML:  A Beast.
Fozzie:  Best of the rest.
For once, all eyes were not on the defence, so I concede I couldn't name anyone else for being great or poor.

All Rams goals at my end.
Best 45 mins for what seems like an age... and the second half wasn't too shabby, all things considered.

Just a game-in-hand win away from a PO spot.

Even the ref was the best we've seen this season.  (Not perfect of course, but none of them are!)

Pleasantly mild (Why on earth did I take my coat! ?) And surprisingly dry, considering this morning's washout.

A stunningly beautiful woman waiting for me when I walked in.  Film night, sofa-cuddles,  and a celebratory tipple or two in store for later.

Oh... and an extra hour in bed... not that I'll need a full hour!  ?

What the heck... I'm putting today down as a good 'un!

??

Set up was great. Suited the players we have. For the first time in an age, we were fastest to react to lose balls, pressed harder than our opponents and when we had the ball we moved it more quickly. Result ? You win second balls and you score goals. McG’s were all beautifully taken. We could have had more, Dobbin was in the right place twice for a pass and a slot in. 
Ref made the same number of errors for each side which is fine by me. Cross about Roberts undeserved booking though, and clearly Bristol need a neurologist as too many of their players have balance problems.

Diddy has to be MOTM simply for the hat trick but I thought Fozzy, Cashin NML and Collins all put in special performances. 

Of course supporting Derby makes you nervous all the ducking time, but when you reflect back, did we ever look threatened or out played individually or as a team ? I don’t think so. 

Magic moment ? Got to be Diddzy’s  third. His skill and Warne’s philosophy neatly bundled together

PS  (1) What a good signing Wildsmith is. He won’t save everything but he’s awake and assured. You feel comfortable with him between the sticks and great all rounder.

PS (2) how do we stop someone nicking Cashin ? That boy is a foundation stone and a very good footballer.

PPS Warne ball isn’t lump ball L1 - he understands the game, there will be carp games but like us he knows what good football is. 

First half was excellent. Good, positive football. Second half we controlled the game. Never really thought that they were going to get back in it.

All in all it was much better. For the first time I think I saw what Warne is trying to do with this team. Personally I prefer to watch this kind of football over the slow possession football we've seen in recent years. I think it's far more exciting. 

I'm glad we played with 4 at the back. For the first time under Warne we played a formation that suited the players and it paid off. We must stick with this.

The most positive thing about today is that we scored 4. You look at the top teams in the league at this moment and they've scored a lot more than we have. If we are to be promotion contenders we simply have to score more goals. Today was a good start.

Now we need to go on a run. With a win on Tuesday we can go into the playoff places. Nothing in this league is decided yet. Only a week or two ago people were saying Ipswich and Plymouth are nailed on for top two. Far from it. A message to the wrist slashers, remember not to get carried away. Things change quickly in football.

Up the rams

Edited by Rammy03

Well after Tuesday I at least enjoyed that ! 
look what happens when you stick two forwards on who know what they are doing - they both got into the correct positions to receive the ball and do something with it and didn’t panic when the chance arrived 

Bristol rovers - I thought they tried to play decent football but some hesitation in defence nobbled them 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well after Tuesday I at least enjoyed that ! 
look what happens when you stick two forwards on who know what they are doing - they both got into the correct positions to receive the ball and do something with it and didn’t panic when the chance arrived 

Bristol rovers - I thought they tried to play decent football but some hesitation in defence nobbled them 

I sort of get feeling that their hesitation was caused by us, and also their hesitation was very Derby like under a number of recent regimes ?

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Playing with two proper forwards up top together really works. COYR?

Always been a fan of 442 .. as u say two proper forwards means u always carry a threat no matter how bad u play

Just reincarnate goddard and saunders and we’re laughing 

Edited by NottsRam77