Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought we gave as good as we got, just as Warne said lacking an real attacking threat. Was he sat at home? Or will he arrive in Jan. They were too canny for our youthful forwards.

I mostly enjoyed the game, and thought we'd have been Rams to the slaughter under Rosenior against them.

I thought we looked quite decent in patches against tough, experienced opposition. Gave me more hope for the season.

The Ipswich fans I spoke to last night said we were the best team they had seen at Portman Road this season.

The General consensus was it was a matter of a mistake one way or the other that would separate the two teams, and indeed it did.

onwards and upwards COYR ???

11 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

The Ipswich fans I spoke to last night said we were the best team they had seen at Portman Road this season.

The General consensus was it was a matter of a mistake one way or the other that would separate the two teams, and indeed it did.

onwards and upwards COYR ???

They must have seen some absolute dross if that is the case.

It was our second worst performance of the season behind Lincoln.

We didn’t once look like scoring all evening and gave the ball away so many times.

The mistake cost us. But that was down to Ipswich’s organized pressing.

Cambridge could quite easily say the same in that we only beat them due to a defensive howler.

I don't think he's the next Nigel Pearson, for the following reason.

Pearson was bought in to be a Sargent Major to an under performing squad, crack the whip and get everything shipshape in double quick time, by a owner who was looking for success at any price.

Paul Warne has been bought in imo, to properly reset the club from top to bottom. 

To not only manage the first team, but to set the lead from the top.

Rosenior did a fine job at holding the fort, getting players in the door, and started off the season in reasonable fashion, especially at home. If our away results had matched our away performances he'd still be in post.

They didn't however, and I think DC saw an opportunity to cut all ties to the past, and bring in his own man to mould the clubs medium term future and strategy. 

It's the culture Warne creates that DC is looking to tap into, as much as the results. For that reason, I think he'll get a far longer period to prove himself than some others think, we've been hollowed out by administration and subsequent events, on the staffing side as well as the playing side.

I think our new owner sees Warne as the man to launch a rebuild, and sees a manager who's vision aligns with his own in PW.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Is this a myth though that we like to believe? Have we been different to many other teams similar to Derb over the years or are we just remembering the good times? Did we play attractive football under Davies, Rowett, Pearson and Cocu?

Our history goes back further than that !

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The mistake cost us. But that was down to Ipswich’s organized pressing.

Jeez you sound as bad as SKY’s awful analysis post game. They were waxing lyrical about ‘the press’ and the great finish - into an open goal. Awful.

Someone closed down a short back pass. Bugger all that is genius about that. I was raging at their attempts to make it summat it wasn’t. Basic football principles. Let’s stop trying to make Ipswich out to be something they weren’t. They were average, we were worse.

19 minutes ago, enachops said:

Jeez you sound as bad as SKY’s awful analysis post game. They were waxing lyrical about ‘the press’ and the great finish - into an open goal. Awful.

Someone closed down a short back pass. Bugger all that is genius about that. I was raging at their attempts to make it summat it wasn’t. Basic football principles. Let’s stop trying to make Ipswich out to be something they weren’t. They were average, we were worse.

I mean, define average? We are in League One. They and Plymouth are by far the best teams I’ve seen Derby play this season.

They were very good League One standard sides. 

Plymouth and Ipswich both looked fitter, stronger, more organized and above all better on the ball.

I saw a gap between us. A gap we aren’t going to close this season.

Still, I’m not writing the season off. Automatic promotion may be beyond us but I see no reason not to challenge for a top six spot.

Portsmouth and Posh know their way around this league. Sheffield Wednesday will be top six too.

But that leaves a spot. Bolton, Charlton and Barnsley will probably be contenders but I see no reason why with a decent January we can’t finish above them.

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

We'll never be able to conclude if it it was the right decision or not for we'll never know how Liam Rosenior would have fared if he'd been appointed as the new manager. That bit will forever remain in the ether of opinion, not fact. 

Except when he gets his next managerial job, we'll have more of a clue don't you think?

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I do think we have gone backwards during his month here, but I’m also respectful of his track record. 

The aim is to get into the playoffs and hopefully have a go once we get there.

Backwards, how? Did you watch how we attacked the game yesterday? The lethargic stuff put out by Rosenior in most of his games hardly compares!

From what I could see yesterday a error from Curtis cost us a point, which he has stuck his hand up to.  We looked the better team in spells, although I would say the result was fair as Ipswich were the better team over the 90.

The team that finishes above them with win the league, we have a thin depleted sqaud and with injuries to contend with.  Let's come back down to earth and keep our feet on the ground, I can see with a little recruitment in January us making the play-offs, considering where we were 4 months ago that would be one a hell of an achievement......

Have faith we are re-building and I feel Warne is the right man for the job!

Edited by RAM1966

How do we back the manager in Jan when we can't spend money?

Loan players from the Prem? Which clubs would loan us a player who plays Warne style football? This isn't now premier kids are taught these days.

We won't win many games putting Square pegs in round holes. This is what Warne is doing. If he doesn't change his approach soon, we will slide down the table im afraid.

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I mean, define average? We are in League One. They and Plymouth are by far the best teams I’ve seen Derby play this season.

They were very good League One standard sides. 

Plymouth and Ipswich both looked fitter, stronger, more organized and above all better on the ball.

I saw a gap between us. A gap we aren’t going to close this season.

Still, I’m not writing the season off. Automatic promotion may be beyond us but I see no reason not to challenge for a top six spot.

Portsmouth and Posh know their way around this league. Sheffield Wednesday will be top six too.

But that leaves a spot. Bolton, Charlton and Barnsley will probably be contenders but I see no reason why with a decent January we can’t finish above them.

I don’t think Ipswich we’re all that last night. Nothing special. Fit, strong, organised. Key attributes for this league obviously. But, they didn’t threaten or cause us many problems on the ball. We were poor on the ball. 
I’ll be disappointed if we don’t make top 6. Especially given the managerial change. Rosenior had us 7th and sacked, so the target must be one better. The quality is poor. We aren’t great either which is the issue. 

6 hours ago, Eastdevonram said:

Don't think we will be going up for at least a couple of seasons probably 3

Took Sunderland 4 seasons and i dont think thats beyond the realms of possibility for us either.

I don't think we'll go up this year  given how we've cobbled the squad together and rescued the club from implosion, but i'd still give Warne time to try and build a squad.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I don't think he's the next Nigel Pearson, for the following reason.

Pearson was bought in to be a Sargent Major to an under performing squad, crack the whip and get everything shipshape in double quick time, by a owner who was looking for success at any price.

Paul Warne has been bought in imo, to properly reset the club from top to bottom. 

To not only manage the first team, but to set the lead from the top.

Rosenior did a fine job at holding the fort, getting players in the door, and started off the season in reasonable fashion, especially at home. If our away results had matched our away performances he'd still be in post.

They didn't however, and I think DC saw an opportunity to cut all ties to the past, and bring in his own man to mould the clubs medium term future and strategy. 

It's the culture Warne creates that DC is looking to tap into, as much as the results. For that reason, I think he'll get a far longer period to prove himself than some others think, we've been hollowed out by administration and subsequent events, on the staffing side as well as the playing side.

I think our new owner sees Warne as the man to launch a rebuild, and sees a manager who's vision aligns with his own in PW.

I agree with all of that but I can’t help have the feeling that Warne was no more available when we actually got him than he would have been in the summer. But I also don’t think Rosenior did that much wrong to definitively show he wasn’t the right man either.

If you’re going to build a club in the image of a manager it makes far more sense to do that from scratch than from a base of 15 players on two year deals where he might not actually want or be able to use half of them. Any signing we wouldn’t have made under Warne, which imo is a few of them, now seems a poor signing.

I have no issue with Warne as a manager, I’m just very wary of the confused thinking we’ve seen too often before. I am pretty confident he’ll build a successful side here but by hiring him 3 months later than we should or could have it probably sets it all back 1-2 years. Maybe we’re in no rush and no issue with that either but the optics of replacing a manager while in 7th place might mean some fans put pressure on when it maybe shouldn’t be there.

30 minutes ago, rammieib said:

How do we back the manager in Jan when we can't spend money?

Loan players from the Prem? Which clubs would loan us a player who plays Warne style football? This isn't now premier kids are taught these days.

We won't win many games putting Square pegs in round holes. This is what Warne is doing. If he doesn't change his approach soon, we will slide down the table im afraid.

I seem to recall premier league managers fighting to send players here when we had McClaren. Under this managers type of play I suspect we won't get any and indeed any that are here will probably be recalled. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Backwards, how? Did you watch how we attacked the game yesterday? The lethargic stuff put out by Rosenior in most of his games hardly compares!

Yesterday we didn’t have a shot on target and completed a little over just half our passes.

We’ve turned into a chaotic team, who struggle to string more than 3 passes together at a time. I understand that our mindset has changed, but to my eye we look like a worse team than we did at the start of the season even if we were more timid in our build up. 

Warne will get the chance to prove he’s not the guy. It’s why he was given a four year deal. If we aren’t promoted this season then we will ultimately lose players, most certainly Knight, although at this point if he can’t influence a game in League One then you could argue just how big of a loss he actually would be? Same goes for most of our players. To my mind, we’ve had one player who has performed to expectation and that’s Cashin, everyone else is below, some far below. Actually, add Wildsmith too. 

Edited by Ambitious

9 hours ago, Justa said:

Our history goes back further than that !

Of course it does but my point is, is this just another myth that we are special and different to other clubs and ALWAYS try to play "attractive" football?

We, similar to other teams, have had spells of playing attractive football but also spells of playing less attractive (but effective sometimes) football. Managers come and go and the style of play is dictated by their preference. I would defy any one to deny that over the last 40 years or so we haven't had lengthy periods of playing less than attractive football.