Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

54 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Disappointment with the start of the season results, how well did they want him to be. He had very short time to recruit players in prior to the season starting and yet after only 9 league games they were 7th on the same points as 6th placed team and just 7 points off the top. Now lets fast forward the Warne period, yes only 4 league games lost 2 and won 2. But lost two Pappa pizza cup games and now we are 4 points away from 6th spot and a massive 15 points from the top. Stats dont lie, Rosenior last game, won 2-1 against Wycombe (last season's play off final losers) we had 26 shots at goal and 12 on target. Warne's Hoofball football in the following 4 league games totals up to 46 shots on goal and 14 on target (that an average of 11.5 shots at goal and only 3.5 shots on target).

Are you Liam Rosenior?

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Can you name these games under Rosenior where we didn't have a shot on target, Oxford we had 4 (w1-0), Charlton had 2 (L1-0), Mansfield (League Cup W2-1) had 8, Barnsley W 2-1 had 7, Shrewsbury 0-0 had 3, Fleetwood 0-0 had 9, Westbrom (League Cup W1-0) had 6, Peterboro W2-1 had 5, Plymouth L3-2 had 3, Lincoln  L2-0 had 5 and his last game against Wycombe W2-1 had 12. Not counting the Pappa johns games in which we scored in every match (meaning we had at least one or more on target), we had shots on target in every game under Rosenior.

You're on the rampage a bit tonight so clearly missed the tone of my post, which was just pointing out the difference in reactions to a performance lacking a shot on target across various different managers' spells in charge.

That's regardless of whether they were actually the manager at the time or not, it would appear, but you know that the notion of guilt by association cares not for such detail.

Under some managers it's been the be-all and end-all, a sure sign of a rotten manager with terrible tactics and a horrid style of play. Circumstances ignored, no allowances given. Under others, well, not so much. In fact it hardly means anything and could people please just stop overreacting?

That's fine, of course, both valid viewpoints, but when they both come from the same fingertips it's a bit of a curiosity to say the least.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

That's fine, of course, both valid viewpoints, but when they both come from the same fingertips it's a bit of a curiosity to say the least.

I’m struggling to understand this bit; isn’t @plymouthram being consistent in saying only Warne has managed to produce a zero-shots-on-target performance, and that isn’t good, and it does matter, and it didn’t happen under Rosenior?

For the most part I read your contributions as a commentary on the apparent impossibility of a manager being cut any slack by we-the-fans as a whole, certainly not by anyone who’s an advocate for the alternative manager (either the one we shouldn’t have got rid of, or the one who’s just come in and isn’t being given a fair chance) - none of which I disagree with; I just can’t pin down the “curiosity” in relation to plymouth ram. (Or are you referring more widely to inconsistencies/self-contradictions by other commenters across the forum?)

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

That last sentence sums up the c*** up of taking on Hoofball football Warne, giving him time to build a side would mean bringing in different players over a couple of transfer windows. Lets also remember, we are on a 2 year EFL business plan and can't buy players. Why would you let an interim manager bring in players for his possession style football then bin him after 9 games and bring in Mr Hoofball football manager and give him a 4 year contract to boot. If someone at the club persuaded Clowes that Rosenior was'nt the right man for the job, why bring in a manager that does'nt have the right squad players to change to a style that never succeeds in Championship or above. Lets not forget Rotherham, under Warne got relegated twice from the championship.

Because we couldn't start the season without players! The manager is the most important, get that right. And I assume that is what Clowes thinks he has done.

"Stats don't lie", but they can be presented in a way that distorts the discussion. Like failing to point out that if we win our games in hand we'll be in the top 6, even if other teams in the top half win theirs too. 

I'm a little bit amazed that critics are placing allot of emphasis on the Pizza Trophy losses. Is that perhaps because it's harder to make their case using League games alone? Two fairly commanding away victories at the type of club DCFC traditionally struggle against, one home defeat facilitated in part by a red card and some dubious officiating and another away to a top 2 side who should have been reduced to 10 men before the mistake that gifted the opposition the points. It's hardly the disaster that some are painting it as. 

I felt Rosenior deserved more time but now we've got a new manager on a 4 year contract and he definitely deserves more patience than some are showing. 

9 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Disappointment with the start of the season results, how well did they want him to be. He had very short time to recruit players in prior to the season starting and yet after only 9 league games they were 7th on the same points as 6th placed team and just 7 points off the top. Now lets fast forward the Warne period, yes only 4 league games lost 2 and won 2. But lost two Pappa pizza cup games and now we are 4 points away from 6th spot and a massive 15 points from the top. Stats dont lie, Rosenior last game, won 2-1 against Wycombe (last season's play off final losers) we had 26 shots at goal and 12 on target. Warne's Hoofball football in the following 4 league games totals up to 46 shots on goal and 14 on target (that an average of 11.5 shots at goal and only 3.5 shots on target).

If you read my post again you’ll see my gut feeling is he WASN’T sacked because of a disappointing start to the season.

On 22/10/2022 at 03:42, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pearson was sacked because of Keogh and his merry men.  When Warne goes it will be because he has severe limitations and won't budge from Rotherham rollerball.

Alright Ed?

It’s an inescapable fact that Pearson just tried to shoehorn the McClaren side/Clement mess into a Leicester 4-4-2. Bryson at holding mid? Butterfield floating left-winger?

Can't believe I'm writing a manager off so soon because I don't normally do this but he has to go. This squad isn't suited to him and I don't see us having the cash to change it any time soon. Especially given all of these players have pretty much only just signed the deal

I like Warne and his philosophy on the game but he's so ill fitted to us. Might be one of the worst appointments I've ever seen in football

In a lot of ways, yes, it's looking like that, however, there's no daddy mel to bring back the nice headmaster they all liked this time.

His interview on radio derby was about as good as could be hoped for at least.

I like the bloke, but this is probably going to be a painful few months until we get the mentality changed in the squad and probably a few swapsies in january.

Gonna have to ride this out, stick with it and learn to love the ugly.

NGL, i wouldn't have sacked Liam Rosenoir but i don't make the decisions and whoever is in charge, i want to succeed.

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Can't believe I'm writing a manager off so soon because I don't normally do this but he has to go. This squad isn't suited to him and I don't see us having the cash to change it any time soon. Especially given all of these players have pretty much only just signed the deal

I like Warne and his philosophy on the game but he's so ill fitted to us. Might be one of the worst appointments I've ever seen in football

Tory leaders last weeks, he ain’t as bad as them ? I was happy enough with LR in charge, not perfect but did very well under the circumstances. The timing of bringing Warne in was strange. It would have made more sense if results had been poor but I think he had only lost 3 of the 12 games. However, now that he has been brought in, on a 4 year contract ? , we need to get behind him and hope things improve ?

Dunno what you do. 

If not explicitly (genuinely can’t remember) I’d strongly hinted at this being a Pearson mark II appointment.

Not Warne’s fault. Not the players’ fault.

What gives first? Unlike Pearson you don’t have a £40,000,000 wage bill. You only have about 15 first teamers. You’d have to write this season off and let Warne build. 

Just now, inter politics said:

Clowes deserves all the credit in the world for saving this great club but using someone to create a squad in his coaching identity and then hiring someone who's style is so different is naive at best.

Or maybe Clowes brought Warne in with the intention of giving him time and not trying to rush things in the way Mel did?