Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

6 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

I hope most of you was drunk writing this last night and have woke up with the feeling of “what have I wrote on the forum now” 

Embarrassing. We played the best team in the league last night, heavily invested and play wonderful football. We have a new manager and a new style of football that’s going to take getting use to. Get a grip people and get behind the team 

Totally agree with everything you have said ! But I’m still worried Warne might be the next Pearson ! We are Derby County and we have always tried to play attractive football.

Of course it’s too early to talk of Warne being a mistake but after what we have been through it’s no wonder some of us tend to look on the negative side !

Anyway I’ll be there on Tuesday so COYR’s !

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Christ,it's all gone dramatically negative after a narrow loss against a top 2 established side,especially amongst our die hard Liam (never actually in charge ) rosenior supporters...

Reminds me of the remainers who were desperately praying for the country to fail,just to prove they were right....they maybe,I don't know but it's all rather unsavoury to watch.

Personally,I've actually rather enjoyed watching us play under Warne,there's an energy and aggression that's infectious (and I never thought I'd say that I like that style of play after being a massive fan of possession football under Mac).

Perhaps it's because Liam's style of possession football was so dull,so boring and plodding,so devoid of forward energy and attempts on goal that it stupified me into wanting something more exciting to watch and we now have just that for better or worse.

Warnes football will get us promoted in the long term,I've no doubt about that and I think we will ultimately win a lot more than we lose,even in his first season (plus I don't expect to see many draws,as we are balls out,all the time) but it's going to take time and personnel to finish the job and close our current weak areas off.

We only have the one club guys and Liam's gone,so let's get behind the gaffer...it's going to be a very long four years if we don't.

The remainers were actually proven right the country has failed and Brexit has been a major part of that, and we could face a scenario where the lying clown is put back in power…..anyway that’s for the politics thread I never post in!! ??

I was hugely disappointed Liam went and I think he could’ve built something positive given time. I think we’ve played better in away games under Liam and created more chances but didn’t get the wins we’ve deserved, I think Warne has had the luck Liam didnt have. That said I’m fully behind Warne and he needs time to build his team, as long as we win games and score goals I don’t care how we play, it’s about choosing the right pathway to sustained success and it’s too early to judge Warne either way on that.

I think people are too quick to stick labels on things, Rosieball, Warneball , Rowettball, we played our best football under Mac, we played effective football under Rowett which I enjoyed as we scored lots of goals, it fell down as we didn’t have enough to lay a glove on the good teams ie. Fulham. Last night you could see were still in transition and while Ipswich were better we weren’t that far away. Various people subscribing to the Warneball narrative have made a judgement bird will be on his way as he doesn’t fit the system, yet Warne has already been talking about what a player he has in Bird and even says he wants his son to emulate him as a man!! 

I think (I hope) he will get it right, I think we will be a cross between a footballing and pragmatic team, a better footballing version of Rotherham that will be more direct than we have been previously and more competitive in both boxes. Is that not what we need to be successful not just in League 1 but also the championship.

If in a few years we get bored in the premier league battling relegation but surviving each season and playing direct football - I’d bite your arm off that given weve been there once in the past 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Don't rate him so far, don't like his antics nor his quirky habits. I still give him this season to address the playing issues & build our team .

Phew. Bet Warne can't sleep at night worrying about whether you think he's a good manager or not. 

25 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Christ,it's all gone dramatically negative after a narrow loss against a top 2 established side,especially amongst our die hard Liam (never actually in charge ) rosenior supporters...

Reminds me of the remainers who were desperately praying for the country to fail,just to prove they were right....they may be,I don't know but it's all rather unsavoury to watch.

Personally,I've actually rather enjoyed watching us play under Warne,there's an energy and aggression that's infectious (and I never thought I'd say that I like that style of play after being a massive fan of possession football under Mac).

Perhaps it's because Liam's style of possession football was so dull,so boring and plodding,so devoid of forward energy and attempts on goal that it stupified me into wanting something more exciting to watch and we now have just that for better or worse.

Warnes football will get us promoted in the long term,I've no doubt about that and I think we will ultimately win a lot more than we lose,even in his first season (plus I don't expect to see many draws,as we are balls out,all the time) but it's going to take time and personnel to finish the job and close our current weak areas off.

We only have the one club guys and Liam's gone,so let's get behind the gaffer...it's going to be a very long four years if we don't.

What a ludicrous post. How is stating the facts and saying Wrexit was going to be a disaster, being proved right result in us wanting the country to fail. Voting for the nonsense ensured that. Anyway enough of the politics….

I know the club are not going to sack a manager one month into a four year contract so I’m happy to support him and let it play out. 

I do think we have gone backwards during his month here, but I’m also respectful of his track record. 

The aim is to get into the playoffs and hopefully have a go once we get there.

Is it not possible that on the one hand we can all enjoy sharing our thoughts on our early impressions of the PW regime like the armchair pundits we are, while at the same time keeping some perspective about a few little details like: he's only had four league games, three of them away, two of them without his first-choice striker, learning new ways of playing... not sure anyone needs to be writing him off (or on!) just yet?

(Just stating the obvious, obviously)

33 minutes ago, Justa said:

Totally agree with everything you have said ! But I’m still worried Warne might be the next Pearson ! We are Derby County and we have always tried to play attractive football.

Of course it’s too early to talk of Warne being a mistake but after what we have been through it’s no wonder some of us tend to look on the negative side !

Anyway I’ll be there on Tuesday so COYR’s !

Is this a myth though that we like to believe? Have we been different to many other teams similar to Derb over the years or are we just remembering the good times? Did we play attractive football under Davies, Rowett, Pearson and Cocu?

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is this a myth though that we like to believe? Have we been different to many other teams similar to Derb over the years or are we just remembering the good times? Did we play attractive football under Davies, Rowett, Pearson and Cocu?

Not much, not really, no, and definitely not

The 4 year contract means Warne is here to stay, promotion this season or not. The squad was bundled together in the close season at the last minute with the best we could have signed due to the circumstances. Administration has led to a massive imbalance in the squad, the players are either just out of nappies or heading for the retirement home. Warne is going to need 2/3 windows before we’ll see this team play how he wants to IMO. My worry is with restrictions following into next season it’s going to take even longer to accumulate a capable squad. Yes we have some decent players but we have absolutely zero depth. Patience is going to be key.

for me clowes always took an unnessery risk getting him in.

i hope PW can turn things around and i hope the crowd stay patient with him. This league was never easy and it's proving so, but DC put pressure on everybody by making the change for better or for worse. it changed the dynamic of the season.

and dont get me wrong i dont have complains with the appointment, just the timing of it

Edited by alram

To be fair, i hated Nigel Pearson when he was here, but given the fullness of time, he really wasn't given a fair shot at turning us into a Nigel Pearson team.

We'll get there because, well, we have to this time. For saying that though, it's just the start and they will get better at it and I don't think the limit of his or our ambition is just to belt it long, outta league 1.

OK, I know i might have a preferance for possesion and nicey nicey football but I can appreciate a team doing direct football well.

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The players who came in said they made the choice because of the style of football and the support for the club. Most won't be happy playing Warnes way. 

Of course they did. Players always say such things. They never say things like I had an attitude problem at my last club so noone else wanted me or I am 64 so noone will sign me.  Look at the "Derby "City" comment once made! 

29 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The 4 year contract means Warne is here to stay, promotion this season or not. The squad was bundled together in the close season at the last minute with the best we could have signed due to the circumstances. Administration has led to a massive imbalance in the squad, the players are either just out of nappies or heading for the retirement home. Warne is going to need 2/3 windows before we’ll see this team play how he wants to IMO. My worry is with restrictions following into next season it’s going to take even longer to accumulate a capable squad. Yes we have some decent players but we have absolutely zero depth. Patience is going to be key.

I agree , but when you have lost 4 out of the last 5 games - questions will be asked.Paul will bring in players that suit his style of play over the next couple of years. But if a new manager comes in he will have the same problems of players suiting style of play.

1 hour ago, alram said:

for me clowes always took an unnessery risk getting him in.

i hope PW can turn things around and i hope the crowd stay patient with him. This league was never easy and it's proving so, but DC put pressure on everybody by making the change for better or for worse. it changed the dynamic of the season.

and dont get me wrong i dont have complains with the appointment, just the timing of it

Yes, the timing of the change was strange.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, the timing of the change was strange.

you surely either do it in the summer or give LR more time?

things werent great under LR but it was his side that he was building. we won't have a huge budget so will have to work with what we have got. just a bit puzzled by the timing for me, i can't imagine the players were enthused about his sacking.