Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The away form or results or whatever you want to call them haven't just been bad this season though have they? They've been abysmal for some time now. 

Didn't see that fact mentioned in your article. You've taken such a narrow sampling range to attempt to justify your own agenda it's simply not appropriate, other than purely to further your own personal opinion. 

With LR being here last season you'd think we would know pretty much what was to be expected this season, Given we started late in the process and the players that were brought in it showed how he was going to set up the players/team

The football for me was a mix of Good, Bad and Ugly Was 10 matches enough, Oneil only got 4 at Stoke?, Look at how many Managers have lost their jobs in all 4 divisions...10 seems to be the normish.

We'll never know if LR would have been a success, This division needed someone who knew what was what, Warne fits the bill, But Warne has only the players that LR left him.

ATM Warne is stuck between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea, Trying to put together a team that that can 1st compete then overhaul the other teams above us, A tranfer window will show us...what's what ?

There's not an inkling of comparison to Pearson. 

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Very true but you pointed to the stat of no attempts on target as suggesting we didn’t deserve anything from the game. The end result meant we didn’t deserve anything not the shots on target (don’t forget, Ipswich only had three) but we weren’t a millions miles off holding out for a creditable draw. As Curtis says in his tweet, we restricted a good team to very few chances but were undone by one mistake.

They didn’t play well but were the better side on the night.

20 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

With LR being here last season you'd think we would know pretty much what was to be expected this season, Given we started late in the process and the players that were brought in it showed how he was going to set up the players/team

The football for me was a mix of Good, Bad and Ugly Was 10 matches enough, Oneil only got 4 at Stoke?, Look at how many Managers have lost their jobs in all 4 divisions...10 seems to be the normish.

We'll never know if LR would have been a success, This division needed someone who knew what was what, Warne fits the bill, But Warne has only the players that LR left him.

ATM Warne is stuck between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea, Trying to put together a team that that can 1st compete then overhaul the other teams above us, A tranfer window will show us...what's what ?

There's not an inkling of comparison to Pearson. 

Don’t get your comment about ONeill at Stoke…..he was Manager for 143 games there ?

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Sacked after 4 games...this season

LR let go after coaching last season and 10 games this season

LR was only the Manager this season. He can only be judged on that. Having said that under the circumstances we did ok last season if you want to judge him as a No 2….

33 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

They didn’t play well but were the better side on the night.

Not disputing that but they weren’t significantly better. Maybe they’re not that good after all or, more likely, they’re going through a relatively poor spell and/or we didn’t allow them to play well.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

LR was only the Manager this season. He can only be judged on that. Having said that under the circumstances we did ok last season if you want to judge him as a No 2….

My gut feeling is LR wasn’t relieved of the managers job because of any disappointment with the start of the season results but he really was only seen as an interim manager and wasn’t in the frame for the job permanently. If he’d done really well and got us near the top of the table then things might have turned out differently. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It would appear David Clowes judged him on that

And our away form was what?

People will judge others on past experience, That's how people get jobs...it's called a CV, His CV I'd have thought said, Decent coach, Speaks well, Knows the game, Is a nice fella and is already here, How Clowes came to decide we need another path to go down is one for the future, As it is, He went down a path and changed it

9 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

It would appear David Clowes judged him on that

And our away form was what?

People will judge others on past experience, That's how people get jobs...it's called a CV, His CV I'd have thought said, Decent coach, Speaks well, Knows the game, Is a nice fella and is already here, How Clowes came to decide we need another path to go down is one for the future, As it is, He went down a path and changed it

And only in time will we be able to judge if it was the right decision ?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And only in time will we be able to judge if it was the right decision ?

We'll never be able to conclude if it it was the right decision or not for we'll never know how Liam Rosenior would have fared if he'd been appointed as the new manager. That bit will forever remain in the ether of opinion, not fact. 

I think Warne has an enormous amount of credit in the bank. Three promotions in three League One seasons. We have a manager who knows how to get out of this league. My post wasn’t a criticism of him at all.

But I was merely pointing out that we don’t have the players to play his style of football or preferred system.

Under Rosenior we had one player out of position in Jasón Knight.

But under Warne I see three of four not fitting in. 

If we back Warne, and we should, the squad needs a revamp. The first XI probably needs at least five new players.

I think we can all be grateful for having a club again, and in some cases the signings we made in the summer can be forgiven for not working out as we simply needed to bring players in.

But we seemingly signed most players geared to play one way, and we have now ripped that up.

This is going to be a lengthy and testing process with Warne with ups and downs. We may even need 3 more transfer windows. I hope DC has the patience for it. 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

ATM Warne is stuck between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea, Trying to put together a team that that can 1st compete then overhaul the other teams above us, A tranfer window will show us...what's what 

For me the issue is if LR was never the long term plan it didn't make much sense to let him recruit the players he did in the summer. They don't really fit Warne's style or preferred formation, and for all the talk that they were just short-term, get-whoever-we-can signings, I don't think that's right. Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick are all fairly big names for League One and are on multi-year contracts. Neither is it a given we will be able to sell whoever we want, and even if we do Warne will still be operating under major restrictions as to who he can bring in. 

It would have made more sense to bring Warne in before we committed a significant amount of wages to the players we got. Or alternatively to have looked at a manager who suited the squad a bit more. It is just a very odd time to bring in a manager who will need to rip up the (newly assembled) squad, when he won't be able to do any serious business until next summer and even then will have limited room for manoeuvre.

Personally my hope is that Warne is flexible enough to work with what he has. I don't think it has to be black and white: ie we can still be a more physical and direct side, but maybe in a different formation that better suits our better players. Warne might have to compromise a little; if he's as good a manager as people say, he must know that's the right thing to do.

(Pearson of course didn't want to give an inch.)

Edited by vonwright

51 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If he’d done really well and got us near the top of the table then things might have turned out differently. 

Interesting. 

All of the 'look where we were a few months ago' posts like to point out the difficulties we've faced as a club, the difficulties in getting a squad together under restrictions, how weak our squad is (out of necessity) in various areas and  how Warne has an uphill battle and so  shouldn't be being judged on results so far, where we are now or will be in the league in a a few months because it's all about the long term. Remember, we're just happy to have a club.

And quite rightly too.

You might even say that under such circumstances simply being in the top half and not stranded near the bottom is 'doing really well'.

Not for Rosenior though, who now it would seem wasn't doing a good job at all. His style of play ripped apart and the negatives exaggerated using little catchphrases that aren't really accurate to life. A rookie manager with little to no allowance given for all the stuff that needed sorting out, he had to be replaced, it was never going to work out, he was never going to adapt. 

The criteria for him to have done 'really well' actually seems to have been set as 'achieve the impossible'!

Applying harsher standards to a rookie than those applied an experienced manager doesn't really make sense does it? And yet the narrative goes...

Warne, most successful League One manager perhaps of all time? Free hit mate, anyone who expects us to be competitive near the top of the league is deluding themselves (I agree, they are) and this was always going to be a tough season (it was).

Not his fault (which it isn't). Look at all the problems he inherited! He's done really well to turn around our away form (we'll see, hopefully he has), the players just need to adapt to his methods, if they can't let's bring in players to suit him.

If we can't do that... um I don't know, what do we do then?

Just write the entire season off? Again yes if that's what it takes, I'm OK with that. 

Edited by Kokosnuss

8 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Interesting. 

All of the 'look where we were a few months ago' posts like to point out the difficulties we've faced as a club, the difficulties in getting a squad together under restrictions, how weak our squad is (out of necessity) in various areas and  how Warne has an uphill battle and so  shouldn't be being judged on results so far, where we are now or will be in the league in a a few months because it's all about the long term. Remember, we're just happy to have a club.

And quite rightly too.

You might even say that under such circumstances simply being in the top half and not stranded near the bottom is 'doing really well'.

Not for Rosenior though, who now it would seem wasn't doing a good job at all. His style of play ripped apart and the negatives exaggerated using little catchphrases that aren't really accurate to life. A rookie manager with little to no allowance given for all the stuff that needed sorting out, he had to be replaced, it was never going to work out, he was never going to adapt. 

The criteria for him to have done 'really well' actually seems to have been set as 'achieve the impossible'!

Applying harsher standards to a rookie than those applied an experienced manager doesn't really make sense does it? And yet the narrative goes...

Warne, most successful League One manager perhaps of all time? Free hit mate, anyone who expects us to be competitive near the top of the league is deluding themselves (I agree, they are) and this was always going to be a tough season (it was).

Not his fault (which it isn't). Look at all the problems he inherited! He's done really well to turn around our away form (we'll see, hopefully he has), the players just need to adapt to his methods, if they can't let's bring in players to suit him.

Just write the entire season off? Again yes if that's what it takes, I'm OK with that. 

Yeah but the sideways passing possession for possession’s sake was bad wasn’t it.

And don’t even get me started on the square pegs in round holes with Knight at right back. Awful!

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Yeah but the sideways passing possession for possession’s sake was bad wasn’t it.

And don’t even get me started on the square pegs in round holes with Knight at right back. Awful!

Did you know, in some games under Rosenior we didn't even have a shot on target!? Imagine that!

And as for the chances we have the opposition playing it out from the back, I've never seen anything like it in my life.

?

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Did you know, in some games under Rosenior we didn't even have a shot on target!? Imagine that!

And as for the chances we have the opposition playing it out from the back, I've never seen anything like it in my life.

?

Sometimes Wildsmith would be way out his box to clear up loose balls. Ridiculous starting position and I’m glad he doesn’t do that any more.

29 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Interesting. 

And quite rightly too.

I didn't give my criteria for "doing really well". Maybe if we'd been top 4 or 5 it may have been enough to give DC cause for thought. Top 4 or 5 wouldn't have been achieving the impossible but would have a massive achievement. A massive achievement would have been necessary if it was in DC's mind to only ask LR to be interim manager. 

Christ,it's all gone dramatically negative after a narrow loss against a top 2 established side,especially amongst our die hard Liam (never actually in charge ) rosenior supporters...

Reminds me of the remainers who were desperately praying for the country to fail,just to prove they were right....they may be,I don't know but it's all rather unsavoury to watch.

Personally,I've actually rather enjoyed watching us play under Warne,there's an energy and aggression that's infectious (and I never thought I'd say that I like that style of play after being a massive fan of possession football under Mac).

Perhaps it's because Liam's style of possession football was so dull,so boring and plodding,so devoid of forward energy and attempts on goal that it stupified me into wanting something more exciting to watch and we now have just that for better or worse.

Warnes football will get us promoted in the long term,I've no doubt about that and I think we will ultimately win a lot more than we lose,even in his first season (plus I don't expect to see many draws,as we are balls out,all the time) but it's going to take time and personnel to finish the job and close our current weak areas off.

We only have the one club guys and Liam's gone,so let's get behind the gaffer...it's going to be a very long four years if we don't.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong