Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

On 22/10/2022 at 08:50, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well there simply isn't the option to remove Warne and start over, so they're going to have to get good at being a Paul Warne team.

Yes, he's on a 4 yr contract which could only realistically be curtailed if Warne decided to leave of his own accord. Something of a rare occurrence in pro football. 

It's early days and we have to hope that Warne knows what he is doing and is also lucky for DCFC. Obviously he had some success with Rotherham, but he wouldn't be the first (or last) manager who has 'one club' success.

Warne talks a good job, hopefully it works with the players and they can get motivated to achieve something in a fairly tough L1.

Just now, IslandExile said:

Those of us daring to criticise Warne's style are met with the retort "well it's better than Rosenior's pass along the back football".

Why is it so black and white? (Pardon the pun).

Isn't there a third way?

Still playing possession football, along the ground, but moving the ball forwards and much more quickly?

You mean playing actual football on the ground but with pace.  Even putting players in the correct position to utilise their strengths.  What sort of witchcraft is this.  Next you'll be suggesting we could use different players or tweak formation depending on who we play.

CompassionateSparklingBluemorphobutterfl

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You mean playing actual football on the ground but with pace.  Even putting players in the correct position to utilise their strengths.  What sort of witchcraft is this.  Next you'll be suggesting we could use different players or tweak formation depending on who we play.

CompassionateSparklingBluemorphobutterfl

Yeah, sorry. 'twas just an idea. Silly me.

On 22/10/2022 at 08:12, Tyler Durden said:

You mean he's going to start abusing local reporters in press conferences?

Stupid, hysterical post. He's done more than Rosenoir managed to do so far in his brief career at Derby yet there's these threads being churned out already. 

Late to the party with this thread but I don't think a couple of away wins under PW compares with what Rosenior did for this club this season and last... Whatever you think about LR, his football philosophy etc. The fact that we can even have the conversation about Derby competing for play offs this season is thanks to his hard work on recruitment and Clowse who saved us. So far, PW has come in, impressed a few people in interviews and got a couple of results on the road. I'm sure he would be the first to say that he has a long way to go.

However, completely agree that this kind of discussion is premature. PW has an absolute gift of an opportunity with DCFC. Unless we are absolutely bombing, we need to give him until the end of next season and support to embed the playing style and culture he believes will take us forward.

To @Bris Vegas- I don't think he is comparable to Pearson in the slightest. Different people, different managers, different situations.

I do think the players look like they're struggling to adjust to two very different footballing philosophies but the culture at the club is completely different now and one would hope that everyone pulls in the right direction to get it right. I'm not loving it personally but it's very, very early days.

On 22/10/2022 at 03:39, Bris Vegas said:

I hope not.

We all know Nigel Pearson’s 4-4-2 direct football was never going to work after Clough and McClaren had built a possession-based 4-3-3 side. 

I’m sensing a deja vu. Sort of.

We had to get bodies in the building during the summer. But all of our signings were geared towards a possession-based 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Smith, Hourihane and McGoldrick are three ball-playing central players. NML and Bark wide forwards. 

But after just a handful of games we have ripped up the summer recruitment by ditching Rosenior and going for a manager with a completely different style.

Paul Warne plays 3-5-2. He has three promotions with that. I rate him highly. He isn’t going to move away from something he knows works, especially at this level.

But it’s clear we don’t have the players for his style. Barks is looking terrible at LWB. NML looks a shadow of the exciting wide forward of the first few games. I can see Hourihane struggling to get back in. McGoldrick too.

To get promoted, something must give. Warne will not get us promoted with this current side.

Changes will have to be made in January and next summer. I just hope DC is patient and smart enough to realize this and gives Warne the time to build a side who can play his system.

Oh mr warne, you’ll see we’re torn

(and some are getting quite forlorn)

Smith, Hourihane and Bird have class

and Didzy, he just loves to pass

So get the best out of our roster,

don't come in like some imposter

hoofing balls north, east, south, west 

let’s see our squad play at its best 

The fans deserve a fine display

of skills at pride park - and away 

they’re honest and deserving folk 

please please don’t make us play like Stoke 

So here’s the rub:  a manager should

work out what each player could

deliver, if he’s at his best 

... then make it happen. That’s the test 

13 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Late to the party with this thread but I don't think a couple of away wins under PW compares with what Rosenior did for this club this season and last... Whatever you think about LR, his football philosophy etc. The fact that we can even have the conversation about Derby competing for play offs this season is thanks to his hard work on recruitment and Clowse who saved us. So far, PW has come in, impressed a few people in interviews and got a couple of results on the road. I'm sure he would be the first to say that he has a long way to go.

I'd like to think he wasn't self-motivated but he did go for a managers job at Blackpool while here you know. And for all his commitment to the Club without Rooney last season we've have been dragged under and maybe been more difficult for Clowes to save.

So yeah Warne hasn't done more so far than commit himself and his staff to the Club.

On 22/10/2022 at 03:39, Bris Vegas said:

I hope not.

We all know Nigel Pearson’s 4-4-2 direct football was never going to work after Clough and McClaren had built a possession-based 4-3-3 side. 

I’m sensing a deja vu. Sort of.

We had to get bodies in the building during the summer. But all of our signings were geared towards a possession-based 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Smith, Hourihane and McGoldrick are three ball-playing central players. NML and Bark wide forwards. 

But after just a handful of games we have ripped up the summer recruitment by ditching Rosenior and going for a manager with a completely different style.

Paul Warne plays 3-5-2. He has three promotions with that. I rate him highly. He isn’t going to move away from something he knows works, especially at this level.

But it’s clear we don’t have the players for his style. Barks is looking terrible at LWB. NML looks a shadow of the exciting wide forward of the first few games. I can see Hourihane struggling to get back in. McGoldrick too.

To get promoted, something must give. Warne will not get us promoted with this current side.

Changes will have to be made in January and next summer. I just hope DC is patient and smart enough to realize this and gives Warne the time to build a side who can play his system.

That last sentence sums up the c*** up of taking on Hoofball football Warne, giving him time to build a side would mean bringing in different players over a couple of transfer windows. Lets also remember, we are on a 2 year EFL business plan and can't buy players. Why would you let an interim manager bring in players for his possession style football then bin him after 9 games and bring in Mr Hoofball football manager and give him a 4 year contract to boot. If someone at the club persuaded Clowes that Rosenior was'nt the right man for the job, why bring in a manager that does'nt have the right squad players to change to a style that never succeeds in Championship or above. Lets not forget Rotherham, under Warne got relegated twice from the championship.

On 22/10/2022 at 08:12, Tyler Durden said:

You mean he's going to start abusing local reporters in press conferences?

Stupid, hysterical post. He's done more than Rosenoir managed to do so far in his brief career at Derby yet there's these threads being churned out already. 

Yes your right, Warne has done more than Rosenior, He's lost more games. Liam lost 3 in 9 matches. Warne's lost 4 in 6 if you count the penalty shoot out defeat against a league two team.

On 22/10/2022 at 09:24, Jimbo Ram said:

We’ve got to stick with him but my gut feeling is it might take time for him to get the players he needs to be able to implement his style. So begs the question what does he do until January? Adapt his style to suit the players he currently has or stick with a system that is unlikely to work ?

I would love him to adapt our style, but I fear Warne is a one trick pony.

On 22/10/2022 at 10:14, CBRammette said:

Warne's not totally won me over as yet - not his fault really as many of our fans and all local media overhyped his personality so much when he arrived. Like when you're meeting someone new and everyone says you're going to love them. Makes me stubbornly think opposite so they have to be doubly good/nice to win me over.  But he left a cushy number where he was adored and mid- table championship and kept talking about the challenge. The ongoing constraints make it a challenge. 

I know it cant be an excuse forever but fans are really forgetting where we were at when the takeover was complete in the summer. For us to be able to sign most of the players we did there had to be a catch as we are discovering now (even if its really young and inexperienced).  Rose-spectacled Liam fans (and I did like him by the way) keep moaning about players being signed for his system forgetting fans have been slating Hourihane and Collins all season before Warne arrived and where was Osula?  Rather than totally slate Warne perhaps give Collins some of the sort of stick Laurence got last season for his silly sending off. So being contrary the moaning at PW is making me like him. 

But we have a club, people are moaning as we're not more competitive and about mr clowes' decisions when 5 months ago we were talking about starting in this division with negative points and facing instant relegation again or total oblivion. Just remind yourselves how you felt in the few days when the yank imploded, read the Administration thread again. 

We went last night (not far for us sorry) and enjoyed it - great crowd and atmosphere which did League 1 proud compared to sterile plastic premier league. It wasnt pretty by either team. Second in league who pundits are raving about were reduced to winning by a gifted goal. If we had got a point from 0-0 everyone would have been "great point away at Ipswich". 

And I have put a bobble hat on my christmas list as think I'll be wanting to wear one by then. 

Are you Paul Warne

I'm amazed at the negativity already about Warne. He's had four league matches, two of which he's won. He might not be the most exciting appointment but he's proved thrice that he can get a team promoted from League One. It might be beyond him this season but after a couple of transfer windows I'm confident he'll have you challenging in 2023-4.

On 22/10/2022 at 13:15, Tamworthram said:

My gut feeling is LR wasn’t relieved of the managers job because of any disappointment with the start of the season results but he really was only seen as an interim manager and wasn’t in the frame for the job permanently. If he’d done really well and got us near the top of the table then things might have turned out differently. 

Disappointment with the start of the season results, how well did they want him to be. He had very short time to recruit players in prior to the season starting and yet after only 9 league games they were 7th on the same points as 6th placed team and just 7 points off the top. Now lets fast forward the Warne period, yes only 4 league games lost 2 and won 2. But lost two Pappa pizza cup games and now we are 4 points away from 6th spot and a massive 15 points from the top. Stats dont lie, Rosenior last game, won 2-1 against Wycombe (last season's play off final losers) we had 26 shots at goal and 12 on target. Warne's Hoofball football in the following 4 league games totals up to 46 shots on goal and 14 on target (that an average of 11.5 shots at goal and only 3.5 shots on target).

On 22/10/2022 at 14:19, Kokosnuss said:

Did you know, in some games under Rosenior we didn't even have a shot on target!? Imagine that!

And as for the chances we have the opposition playing it out from the back, I've never seen anything like it in my life.

?

Can you name these games under Rosenior where we didn't have a shot on target, Oxford we had 4 (w1-0), Charlton had 2 (L1-0), Mansfield (League Cup W2-1) had 8, Barnsley W 2-1 had 7, Shrewsbury 0-0 had 3, Fleetwood 0-0 had 9, Westbrom (League Cup W1-0) had 6, Peterboro W2-1 had 5, Plymouth L3-2 had 3, Lincoln  L2-0 had 5 and his last game against Wycombe W2-1 had 12. Not counting the Pappa johns games in which we scored in every match (meaning we had at least one or more on target), we had shots on target in every game under Rosenior.

On 22/10/2022 at 20:59, Rev said:

I don't think he's the next Nigel Pearson, for the following reason.

Pearson was bought in to be a Sargent Major to an under performing squad, crack the whip and get everything shipshape in double quick time, by a owner who was looking for success at any price.

Paul Warne has been bought in imo, to properly reset the club from top to bottom. 

To not only manage the first team, but to set the lead from the top.

Rosenior did a fine job at holding the fort, getting players in the door, and started off the season in reasonable fashion, especially at home. If our away results had matched our away performances he'd still be in post.

They didn't however, and I think DC saw an opportunity to cut all ties to the past, and bring in his own man to mould the clubs medium term future and strategy. 

It's the culture Warne creates that DC is looking to tap into, as much as the results. For that reason, I think he'll get a far longer period to prove himself than some others think, we've been hollowed out by administration and subsequent events, on the staffing side as well as the playing side.

I think our new owner sees Warne as the man to launch a rebuild, and sees a manager who's vision aligns with his own in PW.

This would be the same Warne thats got relegation twice with his last club.

On 22/10/2022 at 22:26, enachops said:

Jeez you sound as bad as SKY’s awful analysis post game. They were waxing lyrical about ‘the press’ and the great finish - into an open goal. Awful.

Someone closed down a short back pass. Bugger all that is genius about that. I was raging at their attempts to make it summat it wasn’t. Basic football principles. Let’s stop trying to make Ipswich out to be something they weren’t. They were average, we were worse.

That AVERAGE Ipswich team are 13 points clear of us.