Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I questioned that decision, Has Warne had a falling out with Stearman?, Just didn't make sense to me ?‍♀️, Now thinking Sibleys confidence will be knocked...strange choice ?

I’m hoping Sibley isn’t the delicate flower some may think he is and he’ll accept it was a decision made to accommodate the formation re-shuffle (as well as his reputation for being a little hot headed. I know he’s not as bad as he used to be but it had already re-surfaced last night).

9 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I really want to get behind Warne, but can anyone actually deduce what his tactics are? I genuinely can't get my head around what he's asking of the players. We're not banging long balls up, not packing the box for crosses, kinda half playing out, half pressing. I'm feels like the whole plan is just to run about a lot and hope one of the quick players beats a man and does something special.

I feel like we've fallen into the Southgate trap where we pack the back and wait for one of the special players to do something special, except we have Collins not Kane, and Barks not Sterling.

That’s the whole reason Warne is frustrated. He cannot play the game for them. They are still adapting and caught between two styles and this is the result, we’re not doing anything. It needs patience and those that don’t go with him will be gone.

I think the majority are playing for him, some were saying Didzy and NML don’t look happy - not seeing it I think the latter in particular has adapted well and is one of our best players at the moment, Didzy was a bright spot when he came on. Midfield and not having a genuine right back are the main issues as i see it, and i think the some of Warnes post match anger was directed at an experienced player who is supposedly a cheat code for this level but is just not delivering. 

16 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Clowes might think he's going to keep faith with Warne come what may. But then this is the first time he's owned a football club.  

I agree with your post only because it's happened to others in the past...if you believe what you read or hear down the pub concerning Gerrard losing the dressing room...yes according to some pundits...as the 4-0 tonking against Brentford gave a reason for their view.

My thinking and it's only a thought...that Clowes altho new to the game of football club ownership is a pretty tough businessman who shows he can be loyal or ruthless when amassing a fortune, He's given out a 4 year deal to Warne, To be honest I was taken aback with that, But that's football, Clowes is a fan/owner of DCFC he'll know what we see and more with the talks he'll have with Warne

Results can and will effect a decision if all falls apart at PP, But these players had better be prepared for one hell of a backlash from a portion of our support.

We know of their capabilities, We know their history, We know when a player it trying, We also know when they're not, Some supporters can be a very unforgiving lot. 

Time will tell ?

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m hoping Sibley isn’t the delicate flower some may think he is and he’ll accept it was a decision made to accommodate the formation re-shuffle (as well as his reputation for being a little hot headed. I know he’s not as bad as he used to be but it had already re-surfaced last night).

Warne is not the 1st to see what Sibley at times has a "hot headed" side of football, He has a talent...we've seen it, But harnessing that talent from the various managers Sibley has played under must be making his head spin, One minute he's a match winner, The next he's costing us.

I like the boy I don't think he's delicate, He does have talent and times on his side, But confidence is a huge thing when someone says you're ineffective or you're a rising star confidence can go 2 ways...and we both know that ? 

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Well he wouldn't be the only one, seem to remember Hourihane was snitty a few times in earlier matches.

34 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Warne is not the 1st to see what Sibley at times has a "hot headed" side of football, He has a talent...we've seen it, But harnessing that talent from the various managers Sibley has played under must be making his head spin, One minute he's a match winner, The next he's costing us.

I like the boy I don't think he's delicate, He does have talent and times on his side, But confidence is a huge thing when someone says you're ineffective or you're a rising star confidence can go 2 ways...and we both know that ? 

I agree but Warne didn’t say he was ineffective did he? He has started Sibley in every game since Collins got suspended. Hopefully Sibley will be boosted by that rather than knocked back by being replaced in order to accommodate a change in formation following the injury to a senior player. If he’s dropped in favour of Collins on Saturday then that is a different story but I’m sure Warne will say the right things to him. Whether Warne has the skills and game plan to be successful and popular at Derby is still to be seen but he strikes me as a good man manager. 

I think Warner’s key challenge is restoring the type of team spirit we saw last year where everyone is running for and supporting everyone else.

At the moment we have good players but some of them are too young and some too old.

We remain pretty hard to beat but the spark has gone.

We also are hit hard when two or three can’t play due to injury or suspension.

I’d like to see some evidence of coaching in passing moves or a set piece.

Our corners involve Hoolygan punting it into a packed penalty area in which Derby players huddle together like penguins.

Warne needs to stamp his authority ‘cos the team looks like it’s sulking about the amount of running they need to do.

Once they buy into the plan it will all be lovely!

10 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I thought Warne's nice-guy personality and seemingly friendly attitude with the players would give him a big advantage over Pearson's "My way or the highway" style. But the stuff coming out of the dressing room after last night (Warne's comments to Dom Dietrich, the stuff about players faking injuries, Forsyth basically suggesting has nothing to offer other than "run around more"), suggests it's just Pearson all over again.  Utterly stubborn, no interest in what anyone else has to say, we're going to keep doing the same things over and over again until we get different results.

The other thing is, a lot of the players here clearly bought into what Rosenior was selling them.  It was a prohect and they wanted to join in.  Barkhuizen and NML both left previous clubs, at least in part, because they didn't want to play wingback.  Hourihane was convinced that we were going to play in a way to get the best out of him.  Bird, Knight, and Thompson clearly thought they would be allowed to develop in a decent, technical ball-playing side etc etc.  All of that is in the bin after 10 games. I wouldn't blame any of the players for being very unhappy about what's gone on.

Yes fair points. The owner must have been aware that having enabled Liam to put a squad together to suit the pure football style, then bringing in Warne, the football would be tactically 'poles apart'. Only Mr Clowes and Warne know what was said in the negotiations, but surely the existing squad was discussed. Did Warne convince DC that he could do something with the existing squad, or was it agreed that another complete rebuild was the way forward?