Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

We are stuck with Warne and this squad. This could be a tough watch.

Additionally I take umbrage with Warne’s post match comments that Sibley is ‘the worst tackler he’s ever seen’.

So why then did you move him to LWB after the Chester injury? A nonsense managerial  decision and not Sibley’s fault. Play to people’s strengths. What’s next? Play him in goal and berate him for being s*** at coming for crosses?

Under Billy Davies  I can't say I really enjoyed the football at times but it was organised and got results so of course as fans we remember the euphoria of gaining promotion but....Billy and his methods were limited to a degree, he could not cut it in the prem for sure as was out of his depth, IMO he bottled it in the prem and his football and ideas were just not going to cut it in a higher league he was a championship manager at best.

I think PW has been brought in to get us out of L1 and even if that does not happen until next season I'm not sure whatever he builds will be particularly sustainable in the championship if he thinks like a Rotherham manager!

I know his Rovrum side were doing well but I just don't see it working here if he adopts his previous ideas with a certain limitation of what to expect as our expectations are different but saying that i do like his honesty and interviews and just really hope he sees the oppurtunity here to build a good side but not having the underdog mentality rather thinking we can dictate games because we can attract a better calibre of player than Rovrum ( no direspect intended ) 

at this moment in time we do have square pegs in round holes and he is not stupid enough to think that can continue as it is with the results and performances as performances do mirror results..... usually !

If he is to succeed here and i think he could he would have to be more flexible than he has currently shown and that is the  concern...no one is expecting NML or Barks to be amazing wing Backs so don't expect that of two players who can hurt the opposition when we are struggling generally to score enough goals 

Be brave and go for it in games especially at home because having just Osula and Dobbin as strikers with Collins out seems to lightweight to me so change it to 433 and have NML and Barks or Sibs attacking as 3 rather than two young kids being put under pressure to get goals when both have hardly played senior level pro football 

I really hope PW succeeds as he does seem a decent bloke but he will know this is not good enough with this group of players and should be doing better so its his job to get the best out of what he has until he can change certain things...but he has to think like a Derby County manager not a Rovrum Manager or the fans will get restless because expectations are very different and he will know that hopefully 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Wildsmith and Cashin have maintained their levels and have been largely good under both. We have three clean sheets in five league games under Warne, let’s not forget.

Osula and Collins have contributed goals under Warne rather than Rosenior.

If we put style and view of performance to one side, in real terms, the only player that has genuinely suffered is Mendez Laing.

Most are up and down, as you would expect of footballers playing at this level.

That’s fair. But then again, I don’t think we really suffered defensively in any of Rosenior’s games. Plymouth were very good (and shown by their form) while Lincoln had a leg up from an early penalty.

Cashin and Wildsmith have been decent this season under both managers.

But several others have regressed. 

What’s worrying is we have actually got worse under Warne.

That first game at Cambridge I felt we had more urgency and pressed better. Sibley, for is instance, looked fitter and I praised his engine in the win at Accy.

But from a footballing perspective, our last three games (Man City U21, Ipswich and Exeter) we have been poor. Like really bad.

I have nothing against Warne. Maybe I am biased as I had optimism about the way we were trying to play under Rosenior.

But the past few games have been painful to watch.

And I fear it could get worse.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

What’s worrying is we have actually got worse under Warne.

I can’t disagree in respect of the last 3 matches, albeit with a couple of bright moments (the start at Ipswich, some of the 2nd half last night… and arguably defensively in both with the one obvious exception!) Otherwise it has been some way off the standards set at Cambridge and Accrington (and I’ll admit neither is likely to be making provisional arrangements for next May with their local open-top bus companies)

A clear reason why your chilling prediction could very well come to pass is the injury predicament hitting an already small squad. Under Rosenior many of us wanted Knight in midfield because something just wasn’t right there. Now Warne doesn’t even have that option. Meanwhile we ask ourselves “Will he now accept that 4 at the back is the best option with the players available, or is he seriously considering putting Sibley at LWB while we wait for the guy who isn’t really a LWB either to return?”

The yardstick is: who’s the greenest player on the bench? It was Oduroh last night; presumably Collins in for Chester (numbers-wise) but I don’t even know who gets drafted in after Oduroh!

In other words, we wait to see if Warne can get this group playing the way he wants (and ideally the way we want him to want!) but it doesn’t help when they’re dropping like flies.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Significantly worse?

In Rosenior’s last five league games, we picked up seven points from 15.

In Warne’s first five league games, we have picked up seven points from 15.

This talk of us going backwards in five league games is purely subjective and purely based on the kind of football you like to see.

Style is something that takes time to implement and there are many ways to play football and different styles can get results.

Perhaps it’s fairer to say that both styles have their flaws and that is what we’re witnessing?

There was no style last night, that is the worry. 

Warne insisted on playing players out of position - he says to get the best from them?! We've got a fullback on the bench, Odoruh isn't that bad and they weren't that good. So we could have left Smith in midfield where Hourihane was a passenger again!

We looked better without Hourihane when he was injured, Sibley's deadball skills were better than his and he can 'run'!

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

But from a footballing perspective, our last three games (Man City U21, Ipswich and Exeter) we have been poor. Like really bad.

I have nothing against Warne. Maybe I am biased as I had optimism about the way we were trying to play under Rosenior.

The more I think about it, the more I'm concerned about the 2 post-match interviews on Radio Derby - Fozzy and Warne himself.  The Fozzy interview was weird, he sounded so demoralized, but the overriding impression was that the players clearly don't understand what they're being asked to do.  It sounded like the players were desperate for some guidance, but the only thing Warne could offer was telling them to run around more.  

And then Warne himself immediately comes out and says he takes full responsibility for the performance, and then spends the rest of the interview blaming the players for not running around enough and tackling enough.  There's clearly a massive disconnect between the squad and manager.

13 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm concerned about the 2 post-match interviews on Radio Derby - Fozzy and Warne himself.  The Fozzy interview was weird, he sounded so demoralized, but the overriding impression was that the players clearly don't understand what they're being asked to do.  It sounded like the players were desperate for some guidance, but the only thing Warne could offer was telling them to run around more.  

And then Warne himself immediately comes out and says he takes full responsibility for the performance, and then spends the rest of the interview blaming the players for not running around enough and tackling enough.  There's clearly a massive disconnect between the squad and manager.

This.

We've recently had plenty of examples of players not being able to understand/execute what it is the manager is attempting. Football at this level (or any level really) isn't that complicated.

What is going on with Warne, he's now coming across as a Poundshop Rowett - all mouth and no execution.

After his bizarre comments last night I wonder if the better comparison is Brian Clough at Leeds, wasting energy falling out with people it would be better to get along with.

Not sure why Warne is so determined to come in like a steam roller and tell everyone what he thinks of them when we were right in the hunt for the playoffs. He’s acting like we were a team languishing near the bottom, needing to hear a few home truths.

37 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He’s acting like we were a team languishing near the bottom, needing to hear a few home truths.

They needed to hear home truths at half time because it was the worst half of football Derby have played at home in getting on for 12 years!! (Leicester H 10/11 season freezing cold protests at GSE didn’t have a shot until 60th minute - that one) 

Much better second half though still not good enough, hope we see a reaction Saturday.

I wouldn't say I was Rosenior out, but his style of football, our away form and the need for a clean break was welcomed by me. Warne wasn't even on my radar as a potential replacement however i was excited when we manged to pull it off. 

I'm nowhere near getting on PW back yet as I think it's a little pointless seeing as he's signed a 4 year contract. However, it does look like he's shaken a few heads and a few dummies have been spat out. From what football i've seen so far under him i'd say; Hourihane, McGoldrick and NML are far from satisfied with his tactics or man management. 

Hopefully we can muddle on through til Jan and then maybe some creative transfer business can help us get enough bodies in the building that suits PW style of play. 

It does feel all a bit meh at the moment though, and performances like the last 3 aren't doing the mood any favours. If we don't win on saturday then the pressure will only mount. 

Pearson was a good appointment on paper but ended up being sacked due to our form nosediving, i'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself. 

18 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

They needed to hear home truths at half time because it was the worst half of football Derby have played at home in getting on for 12 years!! (Leicester H 10/11 season freezing cold protests at GSE didn’t have a shot until 60th minute - that one) 

Much better second half though still not good enough, hope we see a reaction Saturday.

What home truths did they need to hear though? It’s not their fault our main form of attack is hoping NML can beat three players whilst everyone else floods the box!

11 hours ago, Tombo said:

Can't believe I'm writing a manager off so soon because I don't normally do this but he has to go. This squad isn't suited to him and I don't see us having the cash to change it any time soon. Especially given all of these players have pretty much only just signed the deal

I like Warne and his philosophy on the game but he's so ill fitted to us. Might be one of the worst appointments I've ever seen in football

Are you a Russian bot?

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

What home truths did they need to hear though? It’s not their fault our main form of attack is hoping NML can beat three players whilst everyone else floods the box!

Actually from hearing his RD interview - it was their fault. He specifically mentioned players sitting back giving the ball to NML hoping he would do something. It’s not what he wanted or asked them to do.