Is Paul Warne the next Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

7 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

We didn’t get walloped last night, although reading some posts may quite easily lead anyone who didn’t go/ watch the match to this conclusion.

They defended high up the pitch and we simply didn’t utilise the the pace we had upfront. On another day with a little more luck we could’ve and probably should’ve got something from the game.

However Shnit happens, on to the next one.

A bad day at The Office

Seems like we spent the better part of a decade playing a possession based passing game. Built out academy based on it. My personal thoughts are it was a huge mistake getting rid of LR. We've gambled in an effort to get promoted to the champ. We've not got the players for it, certainly not athletes that PW wants. There will be lots of Injuries playing this style. 

It's more exciting and chaotic this way but the purist in me is screaming. Once the adrenaline wears away, it feels like we've got back 20 years. I do hope I'm wrong though. Very happy to be wrong. Needed evolution, not revolution. 

No he isn’t, he’s won 2 of his first 4 league games for a start!! It’s not the best but it’s not bad. We could easily win the next 4 and some will be calling him a messiah!! 

This has to be a long term appointment now and it will be unless Derby tumble down the league towards the bottom - not going to happen. I think the time to judge him is first half of next season - whatever division we are in. If we are in a championship relegation scrap playing dire football next season I would still be calling for him to go, but he shouldn’t be sacked if he can’t get promotion this season.

For me it’s about the trajectory of where we’re going as a club and the football we play, his remit for the next 4 years as a minimum is to get us competing at the top end of the championship again. If he doesn’t achieve that and the football isn’t good then I’m sure a change will be made. But right now it’s way way too early to judge and I’ve seen both positives and negatives in his first month in charge.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

No he isn’t, he’s won 2 of his first 4 league games for a start!! It’s not the best but it’s not bad. We could easily win the next 4 and some will be calling him a messiah!! 

This has to be a long term appointment now and it will be unless Derby tumble down the league towards the bottom - not going to happen. I think the time to judge him is first half of next season - whatever division we are in. If we are in a championship relegation scrap playing dire football next season I would still be calling for him to go, but he shouldn’t be sacked if he can’t get promotion this season.

For me it’s about the trajectory of where we’re going as a club and the football we play, his remit for the next 4 years as a minimum is to get us competing at the top end of the championship again. If he doesn’t achieve that and the football isn’t good then I’m sure a change will be made. But right now it’s way way too early to judge and I’ve seen both positives and negatives in his first month in charge.

Do you think we should persist with 3 at the back with NML and Barks as wing backs?

Warne's not totally won me over as yet - not his fault really as many of our fans and all local media overhyped his personality so much when he arrived. Like when you're meeting someone new and everyone says you're going to love them. Makes me stubbornly think opposite so they have to be doubly good/nice to win me over.  But he left a cushy number where he was adored and mid- table championship and kept talking about the challenge. The ongoing constraints make it a challenge. 

I know it cant be an excuse forever but fans are really forgetting where we were at when the takeover was complete in the summer. For us to be able to sign most of the players we did there had to be a catch as we are discovering now (even if its really young and inexperienced).  Rose-spectacled Liam fans (and I did like him by the way) keep moaning about players being signed for his system forgetting fans have been slating Hourihane and Collins all season before Warne arrived and where was Osula?  Rather than totally slate Warne perhaps give Collins some of the sort of stick Laurence got last season for his silly sending off. So being contrary the moaning at PW is making me like him. 

But we have a club, people are moaning as we're not more competitive and about mr clowes' decisions when 5 months ago we were talking about starting in this division with negative points and facing instant relegation again or total oblivion. Just remind yourselves how you felt in the few days when the yank imploded, read the Administration thread again. 

We went last night (not far for us sorry) and enjoyed it - great crowd and atmosphere which did League 1 proud compared to sterile plastic premier league. It wasnt pretty by either team. Second in league who pundits are raving about were reduced to winning by a gifted goal. If we had got a point from 0-0 everyone would have been "great point away at Ipswich". 

And I have put a bobble hat on my christmas list as think I'll be wanting to wear one by then. 

I think it’s clear we haven’t got the personnel to play 3-5-2 but Warne isn’t going to change what has worked for him in the past and you would imagine January will be important in trying to get the players he wants to play that system? In the meantime the lack of pace in the back three worries me and showed last night.

Could Roberts play as one? Forsyth at left wing back? And I’d like NML more central if we aren’t going to play with wingers. 

8 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

I think it’s clear we haven’t got the personnel to play 3-5-2 but Warne isn’t going to change what has worked for him in the past and you would imagine January will be important in trying to get the players he wants to play that system? In the meantime the lack of pace in the back three worries me and showed last night.

Could Roberts play as one? Forsyth at left wing back? And I’d like NML more central if we aren’t going to play with wingers. 

Agree. Perhaps room for Rooney too.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Do you think we should persist with 3 at the back with NML and Barks as wing backs?

Not sure what option we have, if we switch to a 4 then we have to bring in Oduroh who isn’t up to it yet IMO. We still have the same problem we have barely any right backs in the club.

So I would probably persist with wing backs, I think NML has adjusted well, didn’t have his best game last night but he’s still been a threat in other matches, he was still solid enough. I think Barkhuizen has struggled more so I’d bring in Foz or Roberts possibly for better balance, especially against the better teams, the lesser teams i think we can get away with it as it is.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Not sure what option we have, if we switch to a 4 then we have to bring in Oduroh who isn’t up to it yet IMO. We still have the same problem we have barely any right backs in the club.

So I would probably persist with wing backs, I think NML has adjusted well, didn’t have his best game last night but he’s still been a threat in other matches, he was still solid enough. I think Barkhuizen has struggled more so I’d bring in Foz or Roberts possibly for better balance, especially against the better teams, the lesser teams i think we can get away with it as it is.

Shame we lost Byrne, he would have fitted the bill.

I don’t know.

I don’t get the appointment. The whole first part of the season was a total waste of time. We’ve started from scratch just a couple of months after starting from scratch.

Would’ve made sense if we went with a manager who had some sort of continuity with the style of play.

It’s absolutely impossible to prove this, but based on what I saw in the first half of the season, we probably would have lost last night but would’ve created way more and come away feeling more positive. Under Rosenior, we controlled the ball and created, but we missed a load of chances. We probably would have given Ipswich more chances at our end too.

But at least the fans that travelled would have seen more action in front of goal.

I really can’t work out why we’ve decided to rip it all up and go with someone so different. We’re effectively back in pre-season with a manager trying to coach a new way of doing things. In October.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We didn’t have a shot on target all game with just 3 attempts. Don’t think that suggests we deserved anything out of that game. I also don’t think Ipswich were on the top of their game either.

You could argue that Ipswich only scored thanks to a gift wrapped opportunity so we weren’t that far off scraping a 0:0 draw.

I suspect it wouldn’t have been the first time a team with no attempts on target came away with something.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You could argue that Ipswich only scored thanks to a gift wrapped opportunity so we weren’t that far off scraping a 0:0 draw.

I suspect it wouldn’t have been the first time a team with no attempts on target came away with something.

Always ifs and buts but only the result counts at the end of the day…

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Always ifs and buts but only the result counts at the end of the day…

Very true but you pointed to the stat of no attempts on target as suggesting we didn’t deserve anything from the game. The end result meant we didn’t deserve anything not the shots on target (don’t forget, Ipswich only had three) but we weren’t a millions miles off holding out for a creditable draw. As Curtis says in his tweet, we restricted a good team to very few chances but were undone by one mistake.

4 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I think we need to take a step back and look at what we have, asking to play a back 4 when 90% of people were screaming for us to recruit a RB in the summer....

Guess what - we don't have 1....

Play 2 CH's which in this division needs pace which with the 5 on the books only Roberts has, and he's inexperienced and plays the same side as Cashin. By necessity we need 3 to make up for lack of pace in the middle.

Also 4 at the back needs a quality holding midfielder....

Guess what - we don't have 1.... (don't say Bielik)

Then LB... what do we do, play an inexperienced CH in Roberts there or Fozzie  another one 90% slag off continually....

Yeah 4 at the back is the answer.

I also think there are some very short memories,  goal kicks in the 6 yrd box, pointless possession in our own 3rd, we would have been slaughtered last night playing that way, as shown with the goal, 3 players were on that press instantly, hence the rebound was always likely to fall to one of them, we looked ok passing the ball ponderous across the back when we weren't under pressure, and never creates chances as too slow getting forwards.

Give it chance fgs

Never created chances?  Just the 26 against Fleetwood away.

2 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

We didn’t get walloped last night, although reading some posts may quite easily lead anyone who didn’t go/ watch the match to this conclusion.

They defended high up the pitch and we simply didn’t utilise the the pace we had upfront. On another day with a little more luck we could’ve and probably should’ve got something from the game.

However Shnit happens, on to the next one.

I thought we gave as good as we got, just as Warne said lacking an real attacking threat. Was he sat at home? Or will he arrive in Jan. They were too canny for our youthful forwards.

I mostly enjoyed the game, and thought we'd have been Rams to the slaughter under Rosenior against them.

I thought we looked quite decent in patches against tough, experienced opposition. Gave me more hope for the season.