Our Queen

angieram

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah it's OK, I get it. Everyone's a staunch defender of free speech until they aren't. 

I don't like the monarchy and I won't apologise for it, but I'll leave it there as I appreciate a lot of people get all giddy about them for some reason I will never understand. I have no problem with those who support the monarchy. Their choice

It’s a difficult one as some people can’t separate the personal from the ideals / politics, 

personaly I feel sad seeing someone pass away and feel for they’re family and people who love them but by the same token I’m not a lover of the monarchy on principle and the 24 /7 media swamping that surrounds times like these but each to they’re own 

I'm not a supporter of the monarchy but whether you are or are not, you can't but admire the class and dignity with which the Lady carried out her royal duties, occasionally at what appears from the outside, to have been at the expense of her own personal happiness.

Sad that there's been one or two insensitive posts but hardly surprising.

And my contribution, via Terry Pratchett - food for thought 

The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.