Our Queen

angieram

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

King Charles will be a change, but King William will probably be unrecognisable from Queen Elizabeth’s reign

Charles is 73 and with the Royal families longevity genes, I wonder how many of us will ever see King William on the throne. Charles could easily reign for 20 years or more. I'll certainly be pleasantly surprised to ever see another Jubilee!

But I agree - I don't see much changing in the monarchy until William's generation are in charge. I think Charles will suffer from a lifetime of being the butt of many jokes (big ears, talking to plants etc) and he's never been that popular

I suspect public opinion will warm to him again in the current circumstances but remember this poll from only a couple of years back - nearly half of the British public said that he should abdicate and pass the throne to William

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-charles-heir-throne-abdicated-william-queen-dies-death-next-in-line-public-opinion-a8704316.html

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

or maybe it’s a personal thing. Turned 40 this year, my best years are behind me, maybe I’m just projecting that into the world as a whole. That’s a conversation for the therapist (aka Barman). 

Hey, turning 40 isn't the end.  I recently turned 54 and, yeah I don't do some of the more physical stuff I used to but I can honestly say I still live life to the full.  I have an awesome family, I have some great friends, play golf, watch live sport, in fact I probably do more now than I did 20 years ago.  I'm sure if you could ask her, the Queen would argue that she still had some of the best years of her life turning 90.  

Lots of Love

Your friendly Barman ?

10 minutes ago, SSD said:

I feel very sad. For me, it feels like a part of my British identity has now departed. I am a royalist I guess, you can become very political about what is the point of the monarchy, why do we pay for them. For me, it's what they represent and provide back to society. There are so many aristocratic families in this country who sit around and offer nothing in return. The Queen gave everything she had, as a privileged person, back to the common folk. A constant and supportive figure throughout her life.

This icon wasn't born to become Queen. When she was a child, she thought she would have a fairly normal life and dreams of her own. That all changed. She then devoted her life to service, never retired and never complained once, after all the hardship the country has endured. Even when her own family tried to tear itself apart, she held onto the fragile foundations and tried to build bridges. Even recently when she looked so ill and fragile, she did her upmost to attend and carry out her duties. What a hero. 

I don't feel this country will ever be the same without her. The end of an era. RIP ma'am.

Of cause things will never be the same. Over her lifetime Queen Elizabeth had met more British prime ministers, US presidents, probably more heads of state from other countries around the world than anyone else alive or dead. So she brought with her that history and knowledge when she met a present head of state.

Listen to what many present and former world leaders have to say about her. They speak of her knowledge of world events, the connection she had with their country. They also speak of the real and genuine respect they had for her.

Our new King hasn't got his mother's history and knowledge. So things are bound to be different, and impact on how he is perceived by other countries and their leaders . How that difference will impact on us as a nation, we can only wait and see.

We can only hope that he serves the people of our country with the same dignity and dedication shown by his mother. 

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Queen dies and the gobshite minority like Trevor Sinclair need to tell you how not bothered they are. 

Don't get me started on that imbecile.  How someone with a conviction for racism amongst other things can disrespect our Head of State is just unbelievable.  If he ever works in media again it will be a travesty.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I don't have a problem with the Queen to be fair. She seems to have carried out her role with a lot of decorum, and honestly she seems to be quite a charming, funny person. 

I'd vote for her to be Queen. But that's my only objection. You don't have a say in it. 

I don't think Charles and Camilla will be a fraction as popular as she was, so I suspect a royal crisis heading over the horizon. She really kept the firm going - are the next batch going to be able to live up to the same standard?, I have my doubts. 

Charles will not be anything like as popular or long reigning of course. I don't know what royal crisis there may be, maybe Megs stirring things up some more who knows. But I don't see any end to the monarchy anytime soon, almost certainly not in my lifetime.  

Can’t see any real advantage in getting rid of monarchy TBH.

For those who believe it costs the country money, what would happen to the ‘savings’?

These past years have shown that money is available when a real emergency comes about, and we waste billions on things which produce no income at all.

Tourism is a massive part of our economy. We have something which in commercial terms alone, is the envy of others. The USA for example has to lure people with Disney because they don’t have the history or the pageantry.

Charles, Anne, Edward, William and, until recently, Harry have all done magnificent work as patrons and supporters of those in need.

Without them, we just have Boris, Liz, Keir and Co to look up to. 

21 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Charles will not be anything like as popular or long reigning of course. I don't know what royal crisis there may be, maybe Megs stirring things up some more who knows. But I don't see any end to the monarchy anytime soon, almost certainly not in my lifetime.  

I feel the queen gets such a lot of respect because rather than being a mollycoddled heir of a wealthy family, she wasn’t meant to be queen for starters. When she became queen she was very young. And she hasn’t really known anything since. She truly has dedicated her life to being the monarch. 

im sure she had a bit of a misprint youth, but part of that misspent youth was driving trucks during the war. So there really isn’t a stain on her record anywhere. She’s absolutely lived up to the office. 

I think William has done a decent job of keeping himself out of trouble, especially as he’s been in the public eye since he was born, and he could make a regal king. But the queen had already been the queen for about 20 years when she was Williams age now, and it could be another 20 years or so before he becomes king. 

I just think Charles has the reputation of having not done much for for 73 years and he’s only now getting his first real job. And in the meantime he’s had plenty of brushes with scandal and unsavoury headlines. I know that’s unfair, but it’s the public perception. He’s been training for this all his life, so theoretically should make a good king. But there’s no substitute for 70 years of actually doing the job, rather than being the apprentice. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Can’t see any real advantage in getting rid of monarchy TBH.

For those who believe it costs the country money, what would happen to the ‘savings’?

These past years have shown that money is available when a real emergency comes about, and we waste billions on things which produce no income at all.

Tourism is a massive part of our economy. We have something which in commercial terms alone, is the envy of others. The USA for example has to lure people with Disney because they don’t have the history or the pageantry.

Charles, Anne, Edward, William and, until recently, Harry have all done magnificent work as patrons and supporters of those in need.

Without them, we just have Boris, Liz, Keir and Co to look up to. 

The royals would love to exchange their paid sum for the return of the crown estates. We make a huge amount from them, and it's financially beneficial the set up we have at the moment. 

4 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Don't get me started on that imbecile.  How someone with a conviction for racism amongst other things can disrespect our Head of State is just unbelievable.  If he ever works in media again it will be a travesty.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If he thinks the Queen is racist or has encouraged racism not sure why he has left it until the day she died to say something. 

Personally I think his tweet went as far as inciting racial hatred and if others agree he should be investigated accordingly.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Is this a good place for tributes? (I like to keep things tidy.)

I thought this was rather beautiful. 

Sarina seems to be a top lass!

Excellent football manager, her ruthlessness to take apart teams no matter whats at stake, superb Pep/Klopp type tactics of winning the ball back, she's a winner.

Her tribute above is one of the best I've read.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

So I wondered which newspaper would be the first to go on the attack. I guessed it would be Meghan. But I didn't think it would be so soon. 

First prize to the mail online. How do they get away with it

Wonder if the mail could republish some of it's stories regarding the royal reaction to Diana's death. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

First prize to the mail online. How do they get away with it

Not to derail the topic, was trying to figure out a way of sharing this article this morning.

Some nice tributes coming in from around the world, then you have this from the Mail.

Just feel like it’s almost making a mockery of her death by using it to create this type of article knowing it will go viral for the wrong reasons, yet all that matters these days are those numbers for ad revenue.

I say that as an owner of a site that is funded by ads, but it just frustrates me when it’s blatant crap they are putting out there knowing it will cause a stir.