Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Grimsby Town (30/08 19:00)

Ghost of Clough

9 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I didn't realise that you can't have draws in this competition, all tied games have gone to penalties.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think you get points for draws and a bonus if you win the penalties - just to confuse everyone 

Correct.

0pts for losing in 90 mins
1 pt for a draw then losing the pens
2 pts for a draw then winning on pens
3pts for a win in 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

About James Collins: if he olays on Saturday hiw about a session of “Collins. Collins. Collins. Collins.” It might do him the power of good. Its to the same tune as “Derby. Derby. Derby”!!!

Hang on!

Collins x 4?
Derby x 3?
And yet they're to the same tune?  ?

Seriously though (1):  Is that the speeded up version of Amazing Grace?
Seriously though (2):  Don't know why I'm asking... I'll not be there on Saturday!  ?

Another win. After the first few minutes you could see we were a level better but Grimsby did come to play football so you have to give the. Some credit. It was quite marked how they came out fighting for the 2nd half, eager, pressing not giving up. That said their No26 was a grunt and whichever CB felt it was OK to wrap his arms round Bart Cybolski (sorry about the spelling ) repeatedly, the  pull his shirt, do some all in wrestling all under the watchful eye of a ref who missed 4 blatant hand balls. 

NML is a beast and what I love is that he isn’t a one trick pony, he goes inside, outside, plays 1/2, passes it forward sideways, keeps it, knocks it. He’s a pleasure to watch. And on that theme .. how on earth did we get McGoldrick ? He’s a magician.

I guess the quality of the opposition flattered us but Rooney looks as solid as a brick wall, sensible, hard but also skilled enough to push forward. Looks so comfortable. Fozzy .. what a calm performance looked exactly what a real old head should be and some great decision making, header wining leadership. Sibbo is loving his 10 role isn’t he ! I expected him to be behind Collins but he seemed to take the central role more than JC who was doing lurking at the back RH post. It’ll come James, just keep at it. Collins also set up a couple of chances and did an epic over head clearance. The guy is a team player in the roughest of patches. Needs our support.

What a great bloke Loach sounds. Did a sound job. TBH I thought their goal was offside (but I am biased) 

The young lad that came on for Max looks solid too. Played it simple and made a cracking tackle. Brave, not over awed. I’m liking Kwaku, he’ll make the grade, Roberts continuous good effort. Tommo terrier did well despite the odd misplaced pass. 

Good night out, 3 goals, learned some more. Extra chillis on mine next time please

Edited by jono

I really liked the trio of Dobbin, Sibley and NML. I think that would be most people’s preferred three at the moment going forward. 

Collins, again, just looks off the pace. I think he’s getting to the point where he’s going to have to win his place back. McGoldrick deserves a start on Saturday. 

Jake Rooney is some player. I would love to see him signed long term, you can see the potential from miles away - he’s so composed in every aspect. A fantastic footballer, a good defender. As soon as he gets the opportunity in the league, he isn’t losing his place.