Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Grimsby Town (30/08 19:00)

Ghost of Clough

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I quite like it.

It's a step up from the U21s - if you want to rely on the Academy you have to give them games that mean things. It allows a manager to try different approaches without worrying about league points.

If it's for the young lads then why not just have a reserve league? Oh wait, we do. 

If a manager doesn't have to worry about league points then it's a meaningless game. Football matches should have pressure.

If you want a game where you don't have to worry about the outcome then organise a friendly.

These games aren't for us or any of the other league one and two teams. They are for the premier League so they can play their youngsters. I don't like the idea at all and I suspect many others don't either as reflected in the attendances.

From a purely football spectacle then yes I suppose it's fine but as a competition, it's a joke.

22 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

...These games aren't for us or any of the other league one and two teams. They are for the premier League so they can play their youngsters. I don't like the idea at all and I suspect many others don't either as reflected in the attendances.

From a purely football spectacle then yes I suppose it's fine but as a competition, it's a joke.

Then the Prem teams should be made to fund the competition to a level where it encourages teams to commit more.